Thread: Alvin Andrew Kelly - Texas Execution - October 14, 2008

Alvin Andrew Kelly - Texas Execution - October 14, 2008

Jerry Glenn Morgan, 30, Brenda Gail Morgan, 25, and Devin Glenn Morgan, 22 months

Facts of the Crime:
    Convicted and sentenced to death in the April 30, 1984 murders of Jerry Morgan, Brenda Morgan and 22-month-old Devin Morgan.

On the morning of May 1, 1984, the bodies of Jerry Morgan, 30, his wife, Brenda, 25, and their 22-month-old son, Devin, were found in their Gregg County home by family members. Each victim had died from gunshot wounds. Their car had been stolen, along with several items from inside the home, including a television, videocassette recorder, and several guns. The murders remained unsolved for six years. In 1990, Chris Vickery called the Gregg County Sheriff's Office and told them that his former wife, Cynthia Kelly, had information for them. After authorities contacted Cynthia in Michigan, they obtained an indictment charging her ex-husband, Alvin, in the 1984 triple homicide. At trial, Cynthia testified she was with Kelly at the scene of the murders. Kelly's brother Steven and a friend of Kelly also testified that Kelly had bragged about the murders. Steven, testified that he and Alvin were in the business of selling drugs, and the motive for the murders was that they were suspected of coopertating with police.

In the six years between the triple homicide and his trial, Kelly had several felony convictions which resulted in prison time, including burglary and delivery of a controlled substance. In 1990, Kelly pleaded guilty to the murder of his roommate, John Ford, and was sentenced to 30 years in prison. He was serving that sentence when he was charged with capital murder for the Morgan killings. His accomplice in the killings, Ronnie Lee Wilson, was convicted of murder and sentenced to 66 years in prison.

Victims: Jerry Morgan, Brenda Morgan and Devin Morgan

Time of Death: 6:30 pm

Manner of Execution: Lethal Injection

Last Meal: "I'm getting communion. I don't want no worldly food. I filled out the paperwork, and I'm going to have the Lord's Supper for my last meal. I'm fasting from Sunday to Tuesday, so when I go, I'll be purified."

Final Words: "I offer my sorrow, and my heart goes out to y'all," Kelly said in his last statement to the members of the Morgan family who attended his execution. "I know you believe that you're going to have closure tonight. As I stand before God today, the true judge, I had nothing to do with the death of your family." Kelly then asked for forgiveness for Ford's murder "because I do stand guilty for my involvement for that." Kelly also thanked his family, his friends, and God. As the lethal injection was administered, he sang, "Thank you, Lord Jesus, for coming into my life. You walked with me through prison. Thank you, Lord Jesus, because you died for me. Thank you, Lord Jesus, for remembering me."

October 14, 2008

East Texas man executed in child's death

HUNTSVILLE, Texas – A former East Texas truck repair shop owner was executed Tuesday evening for fatally shooting a 22-month-old boy in a spree that also killed the child's parents.

Alvin Kelly thanked God, expressed love to friends and relatives and denied committing the murder that led to his execution.

"I pray this gives you some peace," Kelly said from the death chamber gurney, looking at four relatives of the slain family. "I know you believe that you're going to have closure tonight. As I stand before God today, the true judge, I had nothing to do with the death of your family."

Alvin Kelly Kelly, 57, said he would ask God to not hold that against them. At the same time, he acknowledged killing another man for whom he was serving time when he was charged in the death of the 22-month-old, who died in 1984 in Gregg County, about 100 miles east of Dallas.

As the drugs were administered, he began singing a hymn praising God for coming into his life. "I thank you Lord Jesus for remembering me ... ," he sang as the drugs took effect and he slipped into unconsciousness.

Twelve minutes later, at 6:30 p.m. CDT he was pronounced dead.

Kelly was the 10th Texas prisoner executed this year in the nation's busiest capital punishment state. He's among a dozen condemned inmates scheduled to die over the next six weeks. Another lethal injection is set for Thursday.

The U.S. Supreme Court last week refused to review his appeal. His lawyer returned to the high court with another appeal, asking for a reprieve while the justices examine a Tennessee case about whether poor death row inmates seeking clemency from state officials have a right to taxpayer-paid attorneys.

About two hours before his scheduled execution, the justices turned down the appeal.

Kelly, in an interview last week outside death row, said he didn't want a reprieve and looked forward to "go home to God."

"That's what this is all about," he said. "I have friends and family who are sad. But I am happy. I'm not going to die. I have eternal life."

Kelly already was serving a 30-year prison term for murder when he was convicted of killing Devin Morgan, the 22-month-old son of Jerry and Brenda Morgan. Relatives discovered the bodies at their home in Spring Hill, a few miles northwest of Longview. Several items also had been taken, including a car, at least five guns and some television and stereo equipment.

The murders went unsolved for six years until a man in Michigan told authorities that his former wife, who also had been married to Kelly, had information about the case.

Prosecutors said his ex-wife never felt she could come forward because she feared Kelly, who turned to drug dealing and manufacturing after his truck repair business cratered because of his drug addiction.

By then, Kelly said he had found religion in the Gregg County Jail, where he was being held on a drug charge and then was implicated in the aggravated sexual assault of two fellow inmates. He turned down several plea deals to confess to the three slayings, saying that accepting the offers would force him to lie.

"If I was guilty, I would plead guilty," he said from death row. "But I can't stand before God on a lie."

He also denied the possibility he was so strung out on methamphetamines at the time of the shootings that he couldn't recall them.

"If I did it, I'd remember," he said. "If I did it, I'd admit to it."

And while acknowledging he once viewed himself as a gangster, he insisted prosecutors "wanted to make me out to be some John Dillinger."

Lori Kubecka, who was 10 when her aunt, uncle and nephew were killed, represented her family witnessing Kelly's execution.

"When it comes to what he did to our family, I think he deserves it," she told the Longview News-Journal. "But it's been so long. He has sat behind bars for so long now."

At Kelly's trial, prosecutors presented evidence that showed Jerry and Brenda Morgan had been city marshal reserve officers, and Kelly's motive was that they were providing information about him to authorities.

He said with his previous murder conviction, plus convictions for burglary, weapons possession, controlled substance delivery and possession and aggravated sexual assault, "I didn't stand a chance."

"I still love Texas," he said. "I love bluebonnets. Texas didn't put me here. I put me here, by my lifestyle. I'm not pious. I'm not holy. I'm an old sinner."

Scheduled to die on Thursday is Kevin Watts, 27, convicted of the execution-style shootings of three people during a robbery at a San Antonio restaurant in 2002.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...n.2fd9a0e.html

Related

April 26, 2013

Murder victim's family angry at release

A Longview man convicted of murder 23 years ago is about to walk free. The victims were a husband, his wife and their toddler son. And one of the men convicted of the crime, will be free by the summer. It happened about this time, almost 30 years ago. In April of 1984, Jerry and Brenda Morgan were found murdered in their home in Longview. Jerry had been shot multiple times. Brenda was shot once in the back of the neck and bled to death. But perhaps most cold-blooded of all, their 22-month-old son Devin had been held with one hand by the killer, and shot once in the face. The case went cold until 1990 when the former wife of long time drug dealer Alvin Kelly, told authorities about the crime. Kelly was in jail on another murder conviction, and was convicted of the murder of the boy, Devin, and given the death penalty. His accomplice Ronnie Wilson who was there, but didn’t pull the trigger, was given 66 years.

We spoke with District Judge David Brabham in Longview, who was DA at the time. He only said they chose not to seek death for Wilson, but wouldn’t say why. Kelly was executed in 2009 still saying he didn’t commit the crime. And now, Wilson is about to be given parole. Lori Kubecka was 10 at the time of the murders of her uncle and his family. “I just don’t feel that he served enough time. We’re living through this daily,” she told us. “If you’re helping with a murder, I don’t care who’s doing it. you’re just as guilty.”

Meanwhile, in a month or so, Lori, and her family will watch a man who helped cause so much pain, walk free.

http://www.ketknbc.com/news/murder-v...gry-at-release

He's going to be paroled after serving 35% of his sentence?!
    "I have adopted the Italian way of life... I may stab you!"
    — Heidi

"You make the British Lion seem like a declawed, toothless, neutered fat tabby with the mange."
    — Weidmann1939

"Maybe you think your being clever."
    — Weidmann1939

Senior Member CnCP Addict Stro07's Avatar
    I guess he somehow managed to be classified a a 'nonviolent felon' - in that case he only has to serve one third of his sentence. Same was with Carl Eugene Watts.

Thread Information