Thread: Joseph Ray Ries - Texas Execution - October 21, 2008

Joseph Ray Ries - Texas Execution - October 21, 2008

Facts of the Crime:
    Convicted and sentenced to death in the February 22, 1999 murder of Robert Ratliff.

Ries became friends and eventually moved in to live with Robert Ratliff in his home in Cumby, Texas. After a dispute over some missing property, however, Ratliff evicted Ries from his house. Shortly thereafter, Ries and some associates stole Ratliff's pickup truck from his residence. but because it got poor gas milage, they decided to return to Ratliff's residence and steal his Lincoln Continental. When they returned, Ratliff was not home. Ries and Christopher White broke in, took some items, drove the truck into a pond, then waited outside.

After Ratliff came home with the Lincoln, Ries and White waited another thirty minutes until the lights in the house were turned off. Ries and White then entered the house again. Ries snuck into Ratliff's bedroom, where he was sleeping, and took his wallet and car keys. He then shot Ratliff in the back, then in the back of the neck, and finally one last shot behind his ear. Ries and White then drove away in Ratliff's Lincoln. They were arrested in Lawton, Oklahoma four days later in the victim's car. Ries, who was also wearing Ratliff's hat, confessed to the robbery and murder on videotape.

Victim: Robert Ratliff

Time of Death: 6:17 pm

Manner of Execution: Lethal Injection

Last Meal: None

Final Words: Ries expressed love to friends who watched through a death chamber window and urged them to stay strong because "Jesus is coming back soon." Looking toward another window, he told two daughters of his victim he was "really sorry for what I've done." Ries said he prayed that they would find peace through God. "I hope he heals your heart. The truth is that you are going to feel empty after tonight. Standing with Christ in your heart, he can only give you peace. I pray you can find it. I really do." As the lethal drugs began flowing, he started to sing a hymn. "Our God is an awesome God," he sang. "Lord, I lift your name on high." He then slipped into unconsciousness.

October 21, 2008

Murderer apologizes, sings before execution

HUNTSVILLE, Texas — An inmate who murdered a sleeping man during a burglary apologized to his victim's family and sang a hymn before he was executed Tuesday evening. Joseph Ries expressed love to friends who watched through a death chamber window and urged them to stay strong because "Jesus is coming back soon."

Looking toward another window, he told two daughters of his victim he was "really sorry for what I've done." Ries said he prayed that they would find peace through God. As the lethal drugs began flowing, he started to sing a hymn. "Our God is an awesome God," he sang. "Lord I lift your name on high." He then slipped into unconsciousness and was pronounced dead seven minutes later at 6:17 p.m. CDT.

Ries, 29, was executed for fatally shooting Robert Ratliff after breaking into the 64-year-old's rural Hopkins County home in 1999.

Ries was the 12th prisoner executed this year in the nation's most active death penalty state and the first of two scheduled to die this week. Two were executed last week and two more are set to die next week.

The U.S. Supreme Court rejected appeals by Ries' lawyer, James Terry Jr., who wanted the court to halt the punishment and examine the case. Terry contended that Ries' rights were violated because his earlier appeals were handled by an incompetent attorney. He also argued that Ries' trial lawyer failed to adequately show jurors how Ries was raised by a drug-addicted and alcoholic mother whose parental rights twice were revoked, and how Ries was abused in some of the dozen foster homes where lived.

"We've got a system that's broken and at every level it's been broken for him," Terry said. He acknowledged the crime was horrible but contended Ries' life had been "shaped by the failures of those whose legal and moral duty was to help him."

Ries had lived at Ratliff's home in Cumby, about 65 miles northeast of Dallas, but Ratliff kicked him out after he suspected Ries of stealing some items. Ries had stolen Ratliff's pickup, then came back with a friend, Christopher Lee White, to steal the man's Lincoln Continental instead because the truck got poor gas mileage. Ratliff wasn't home at the time, but they waited until he came home and went to sleep, then killed him.

"Why Mr. Ries decided to stop and murder him, it's beyond me," said Martin Braddy, the Hopkins County district attorney who prosecuted Ries. "That's something only he can understand. He had the keys and he was leaving the house when they killed him. It just seemed so cold and callous and so useless."

Ries was arrested in Oklahoma. Prosecutors said he was the triggerman, and a jury deliberated seven minutes before convicting him. White was tried separately and received life in prison. Ries said he was high when the shooting occurred, and later when he made a videotaped confession to police. "I'm not sure exactly what happened," he said recently in an interview outside death row.

The prospect of death was frightening "in a way," Ries said, but added that he'd accepted Christ into his life and was prepared for it. "Life is just a bridge," he said.

(Source: The Houston Chronicle)

Thread Information