Thread: George H. Whitaker III - Texas Execution - November 12, 2008

George H. Whitaker III - Texas Execution - November 12, 2008

Facts of the Crime:
    Convicted and sentenced to death in the June 15, 1994 murder of Shakeitha Shanta Carrier.

Catina Carrier recently broke off her relationship with Whitaker because of his abusive behavior. Whitaker went to her mother's home armed with a .45 caliber handgun and forced his way inside. He shot Ms. Carrier once in the shoulder. Her five-year-old daughter, Ashley, ran upstairs. Whitaker followed her and pistol whipped her into unconsciousness. He then found Ms. Carrier's 16-year-old daughter, Shakeitha, on the second floor and shot her once in the head. Returning downstairs, Whitaker found Mrs. Carrier fleeing through the front door. After retrieving more bullets from his vehicle, Whitaker caught up with her behind the house and shot her again in the right shoulder. Ashley's skull was fractured, causing permanent brain damage. Mary Carrier had permanent nerve damage and lost the use of her right hand. Shakeitha died from her head wound. Whitaker's former girlfriend, Catina, was not at her parents' home at the time of the shooting.

Victim: Shakeitha Shanta Carrier

Time of Death: 6:15 pm

Manner of Execution: Lethal Injection

Last Meal: four fried chicken thighs, french fries with ketchup and hot sauce on the side, peach cobbler, two pints of vanilla ice cream and orange juice

Final Words: "First off, I'd like to say to Mr. and Mrs. Carrier, I apologize for your pain and suffering. I pray Lord, please forgive me. To my family, to my brother Gerard, I love you, Harold, I love you. To my stepfather Paul, I love you. Momma, I will always love you. Take care of my daughters, Kaneisha and Ieisha. Dad loves you. Continue to pray for me, I am fine. I have made peace with God. Please don't ever forget me. I love you mom. I love you all, take care. I love you too pop, keep your head up. Take care. I am going on to sleep."

November 12, 2008

Harris County man executed for 1994 slaying

A man convicted of the 1994 murder of his ex-girlfriend’s 16-year-old sister was executed Wednesday at the Texas Department of Criminal Justice Walls Unit.

George H. Whitaker, 36, who was convicted of the capital murder of 16-year-old Shakeitha Carrier, was pronounced dead at 6:15 p.m. after he made a brief and apologetic last statement.

Whitaker’s execution was witnessed by his stepfather, Paul Joseph, and his brother, Gerard Whitaker. However, no witnesses connected to Shakeitha Carrier attended the execution.

“I’d like to say to Mr. and Mrs. Carrier, I apologize for your pain and suffering,” Whitaker said. “To my family, I love you. Continue to pray for me. I am fine, and I have made peace with God.

“I’m going to sleep.”

According to information released by the Texas Attorney General’s office, Whitaker drove to the Crosby home of his former girlfriend, Cantina Carrier, on June 15, 1994, under the pretense of returning some of her belongings.

Once he arrived, Whitaker forced his way into the house and shot Cantina Carrier’s mother, Mary, in the shoulder. He then ran up the stairs and located her younger sisters, Ashley Carrier, 5, and Shakeitha Carrier.

Before hearing a gunshot, Mary Carrier heard her 5-year-old scream and her 16-year-old yell, “Please don’t hurt me.” When she ran out of her house to find help, Whitaker caught up with her and shot her a second time.

Shakeitha Carrier died from a gunshot wound to the head, while Ashley Carrier was revived after extensive surgery for blunt head injuries. She does, however, retain permanent neurological damage.

Mary Carrier has permanent nerve damage and no use of her right hand.

Cantina Carrier was not at her parents’ home when Whitaker arrived.

Whitaker was indicted in the 339th District Court of Harris County for the capital murder of Shakeitha Carrier on Oct. 21, 1994. After he plead not guilty, he was found guilty of the capital offense on March 28, 1996.

During Whitaker’s trial, Catina Carrier testified concerning the nature of her relationship with Whitaker. She stated there were occasions when Whitaker physically and verbally abused her.

In one incident, after Whitaker hit Carrier in the temple in her daughter’s presence, Carrier woke up to Whitaker choking her. After the fact, Whitaker said he did it because he had a dream she was cheating on him.

In another incident, after she left work, Whitaker told Carrier she was embarrassing to him. Then, he started punching her in the back of her head with his fists while he was driving.

http://itemonline.com/local/x2125529...r-1994-slaying

Thread Information