Thread: Denard Sha Manns - Texas Execution - November 13, 2008

Denard Sha Manns - Texas Execution - November 13, 2008

Facts of the Crime: Convicted and sentenced to death in the November 19, 1998 murder of Michelle Christine Robson.

Michelle Robson was found dead in her bathtub wearing only a bra, which testing confirmed contained semen. She had been shot five times with a .22 caliber gun. There was no sign of forced entry. At one time Manns lived with his cousin, Eric Williams, two doors down from the victim. When Williams learned of the murder he suspected his cousin and turned his .22 handgun over to police. A firearms expert determined that at least one of the bullets recovered from the victim's body was fired from Williams' gun. Fingerprint testing of the gun revealed fingerprints from Williams and from Manns. DNA testing showed that DNA from the semen stains matched Manns’ DNA.

Victim: Michelle Christine Robson

Time of Death: 6:24 pm

Manner of Execution: Lethal Injection

Last Meal: Fried chicken quarters, two dozen fried shrimp, two-and-half pounds of onion rings and fries, turkey salad with onion, peppers and cherry tomatoes with blue cheese dressing, salt, pepper and garlic powder, half-dozen soft onion rolls with assorted cheeses, chilled apple juice and milk.

Final Words: "From Allah he came and from Allah he shall return," In a brief statement from the death house gurney, he criticized his lawyers for what he said was an unjust trial and an appeals lawyer for what he contended were phony appeals claims. But he thanked another appeals attorney for taking on his case when the lawyer no longer was supposed to be involved. "I'm ready for the transition," he said.

November 14, 2008

Manns executed by state

Denard Manns drew his last breath shortly before 6:30 p.m. Thursday, becoming the 17th person executed in Texas in 2008.

The execution came less than a week shy of the 10th anniversary of the crime that put him on death row.

More than 800 miles north off Interstate 35, rain began to pour down on the Iowa gravesite of Manns' victim, Army medic Michele Christine Robson.

"Maybe I'm reading too much into it," said Robson's childhood friend, Tina Rorabaugh, minutes after the execution. "It started raining really hard," moments before she was told the execution had been carried out.

Rorabaugh had known Robson since the third grade and grew up less than two blocks away. Robson was a bridesmaid in Rorabaugh's wedding 14 years ago named her first daughter Gracie Michele, after her fallen friend.

It's been a difficult 10 years, she said, constantly waiting. But now it's done.

"I feel better. I'm glad it's over," Rorabaugh said. "Hate consumes you. Even though I didn't know the man, I had a hate for him that was pretty deep. Now I just pray for the family so they can move on. It's been a long 10 years."

Manns, 42, uttered what appeared to be a brief prayer three times and was pronounced dead at 6:24 p.m., 10 minutes after the lethal drugs began to flow.

"From Allah he came and from Allah he shall return," Manns said from the death chamber gurney.

He criticized by name his trial attorneys for what he said was an unfair trial, criticized an appeals lawyer for "purposely bringing up claims that did not exist," and thanked another lawyer for taking on his appeal after he was supposed to be off the case.

Manns expressed love to friends and then said, "I'm ready for the transition."

Manns was a recent parolee from New York, where he had been imprisoned a second time for armed robbery.

Evidence showed he was living with relatives two doors down from the victim's apartment. There was no sign of forced entry, leading authorities to believe she knew her attacker.

Manns' fingerprint was found on the .22-caliber pistol identified as the murder weapon. His DNA was detected on clothing on her body, and at the time of his arrest, he was in possession of her jacket and was carrying her jewelry.

Court files show he told a fellow inmate details of the crime that only the killer would have known because they had not been made public.

http://www.kdhnews.com/news/story.aspx?s=29304&q=manns

Thread Information