Thread: Robert Jean Hudson - Texas Execution - November 20, 2008

Robert Jean Hudson - Texas Execution - November 20, 2008

Facts of the Crime:
    Convicted and sentenced to death in the May 7, 1999 murder of Edith Kendrick.

Hudson telephoned 35-year-old Edith Kendrick, his ex-girlfriend, and was angered when he heard a man’s voice in the background. He went to the apartment and kicked the door open and saw Edith standing next to the bed and Spearman getting up from the couch while pulling his pants up. Edith attempted to intervene between Spearman and Hudson, who began swinging a knife at her. Spearman ran out of a second exit and called 911 from a pay telephone. As Hudson was slashing Edith, her eight-year-old son Colby got between Hudson and his mother. Hudson inflicted severe cuts on Colby’s throat, neck, and fingers, and the boy ran bleeding from the apartment. Edith fled to the stairs at the front balcony where Hudson stabbed her repeatedly. Police arrived on the scene quickly and found Hudson at a nearby convenience store. They took him back to Edith’s apartment where witnesses identified him. Hudson had been on parole for only about six months on a forgery convictions and had eight prior convictions, including a 1987 conviction for murder.

Victim: Edith Kendrick

Time of Death: 6:24 pm

Manner of Execution: Lethal Injection

Last Meal: Fried chicken legs and thighs, sirloin steak, corn on the cob, banana pudding, peach cobbler, chocolate chip ice cream, grape soda and milk

Final Words: Hudson repeatedly expressed love to his wife and a friend who watched through a window and ignored four relatives of his victim as they watched through another window into the death chamber. "I will take you to heaven with me, I will always be with you. Now pray with this young man down here and we'll go," he said, nodding to the chaplain who stood at his feet. Hudson then prayed the Lord's Prayer and concluded by again expressing love. "I am yours and we are one. Let's go, warden," he said.

November 20, 2008

Convicted killer executed Thursday night for stabbing death of his ex-girlfriend

HUNTSVILLE, Texas – Convicted killer Robert Jean Hudson was executed Thursday night for fatally stabbing his ex-girlfriend after he beat down the door and barged into her Dallas-area apartment nearly a decade ago.

Mr. Hudson repeatedly expressed love to his wife, who is from Belgium, and a friend who watched through a window and ignored four relatives of his victim as they watched through another window into the death chamber.

"I will take you to heaven with me," he said from the death chamber gurney. "I will always be with you."

"Now pray with this young man down here and we'll go," he said, nodding to the chaplain who stood at his feet. He said the Lord's Prayer and concluded by again expressing love. "I am yours and we are one. Let's go, warden," he said.

Mr. Hudson, 45, was the 18th Texas inmate put to death this year.

Edith Kendrick, 35, was killed and her 8-year-old son seriously wounded in the 1999 attack in Mesquite.

Hours before the execution, the nine-member U.S. Supreme Court denied Mr. Hudson's appeal.

Chief Justice John Roberts did not participate in the decision, and Justices John Paul Stevens and Ruth Bader Ginsburg would have granted a reprieve.

Attorneys for Mr. Hudson didn't question that the three-time parolee was responsible for the slaying but faulted his trial lawyers for not presenting to a jury mitigating evidence "that this was a crime of passion, and significantly reduced Mr. Hudson's moral culpability," Maurie Levin wrote in her petition seeking a Supreme Court reprieve and review.

Jurors never heard about his unstable childhood, a father with drug and alcohol problems, a mother with psychiatric problems and his own psychiatric treatment and medication to control his behavior and anger, Ms. Levin said.

State lawyers opposed the request, saying Mr. Hudson's petition presented no reasons for justices to review his case and failed to show any of his constitutional rights were violated.

At least 10 Texas inmates are scheduled to die next year, including six in January.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...2.4a49725.html

Thread Information