Thread: Marco Allen Chapman - Kentucky Execution - November 21, 2008 (Volunteer)

Marco Allen Chapman - Kentucky Execution - November 21, 2008 (Volunteer)

Chelbi Sharon, 7, and Cody Sharon, 6

Facts of the Crime:
    Convicted and sentenced to death in the August 23, 2002 murders of seven-year-old Chelbi Sharon and six-year-old Cody Sharon.

Carolyn Marksberry had counseled a neighbor to get out of an abusive relationship with Chapman. In response, Chapman broke into her home, bound her with duct tape to her bed frame, raped her, and stabbed her with a knife that broke off in her chest. She survived the attack. The children awoke to screams and ran to investigate. Chapman then turned the knife on them. seven-year-old Chelbi and six-year-old Cody Marksberry were stabbed and slashed several times and had their throats cut. They died almost immediately. Their ten-year-old sister Courtney played dead after being stabbed several times. She fled out the back door and raced through the dark to the house of a neighbor -- who called 911. Chapman heard the door slam, and fled the scene. Chapman pled guilty to the crimes and waived all appeals.

Victims: Chelbi Sharon and Cody Sharon

Time of Death: 7:34 pm

Manner of Execution: Lethal Injection

Last Meal: a medium-rare 32-ounce steak, shrimp, salad and banana cream pie

Final Words: "I don't know why I did the thing that I did, and I know the hate of me over that night must be overwhelming, but Carolyn and Courtney you have to know that wasn't who I was or am," Chapman wrote in a statement he gave to Warden Tom Simpson to read. "I am not a monster even though I did a monstrously evil thing. That is why I give my life willing as well as quickly in hopes that you know how truly sorry I am. I hurt and ache daily for the loss I've created in the Marksberrys' family, but I hurt as well. I don't know if I deserve heaven after what I did, but I pray with all my heart that I find some sort of peace and happiness after my last breath." After Simpson read the statement, Chapman looked toward the room where Marksberry family members were scheduled to view the execution, and apologized again. His voice shook, and he had tears in his eyes.

November 21, 2008

Marco Allen Chapman put to death

EDDYVILLE, Ky. -- Shorlty after 7 p.m. Central Standard Time, Marco Allen Chapman was executed by injection for the 2002 knife attack that left two Gallatin County children dead and their mother and sister injured. Strapped to a gurney, Chapman, who asked that none of his family be present for his execution, was given a three-drug method of lethal injection.

He was sentenced to death for attacking and sexually assaulting Carolyn Marksberry and slashing the throats of her children, Cody Sharon, 6, and Chelbi Sharon, 7. Chapman resisted attempts to delay the execution, saying he couldn't live with what he had done. A prison doctor pronounced Chapman dead at 7:34 p.m. at the Kentucky State Penitentiary.

Marksberry, who listened helplessly to her children's screams as Chapman killed them, watched Chapman's execution from behind a window in a witness room with her husband, Chuck Marksberry, and former father-in-law Gary Sharon. A third child, 16-year-old Courtney Sharon, who survived Chapman's attack by playing dead, decided not to attend the execution.

Gov. Steve Beshear issued a statement shortly after the execution, saying “the state carried out the mandate of the court in a professional and solemn manner. Let there be no question: Mr. Chapman committed a horrible crime, he pled guilty and was repeatedly found competent to make decisions. The state responded by doing its duty. My hope is that the Marksberry family, whose lives were torn apart by Mr. Chapman’s horrifying acts, can find some level of peace and the ability to move forward. I pray for them, and I pray for Mr. Chapman and his family on this difficult day.”

The execution was the first in Kentucky since 1999, when Eddie Harper received a lethal injection for killing his parents in their Valley Station home in 1982. Chapman became the 165th person executed since 1911 at the state penitentiary near Eddyville.

Kentucky is one of several states moving forward on death-penalty cases after a landmark U.S. Supreme Court ruling upheld Kentucky's three-drug method of lethal injection. The method is widely used by other states.

(Source: The Louisville Courier-Journal)

Marco Chapman's death row interview:

Thread Information