Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Manuel Machado Alvarez - California

Manuel Machado Alvarez - California

Summary of Offense:

Alvarez and co-defendant Belinda Denise Ross were charged with the May 7, 1987 murder-robbery of Allan Birkman. In addition to the robbery-murder of Birkman, Alvarez was charged with three other serious felonies. The first was the theft of a 1975 Camaro belonging to Edwin Glidewell. Next were the rape of Sandra Stramaglia, and finally the robbery of Greta Slattern. Ross was found guilty of accessory to the murder of James Birkman and of his attempted robbery. She was sentenced to 8.5 years for these two counts. On September 14, 1989, Alvarez received the death penalty in Sacramento County for the murder of Birkman and a total of 18 years and eight months for the other offenses.

On December 5, 1996, Alvarez's sentence was upheld on direct appeal by the California Supreme Court.

http://scocal.stanford.edu/opinion/p...-alvarez-31245

On October 8, 1997, Alvarez filed a habeas petition in Federal District Court.

http://dockets.justia.com/docket/cal...cv01895/113255

On September 11, 2006, Alvarez filed a state habeas petition.

http://scocal.stanford.edu/opinion/p...-alvarez-31245

On July 13, 2011, the California Supreme Court DENIED Alvarez's habeas petition.

http://appellatecases.courtinfo.ca.g...doc_no=S146501

Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

What did I say yesterday California’s death row will be warped by this. That’s a total of 5 people that died from this and it has spread rapidly in San Quinten. This is only the beginning of the deaths well see out of this. I hope we see inmate on inmate attacks once these people are also transferred out of death row. That state has a functioning death penalty when it comes to inmate on inmate attacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobsicles View Post
    Stop posting little blurbs from twitter. Find an article online its not hard.
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

2 Condemned San Quentin Inmates Die Of Apparent COVID-19 Complications

CBS News

SAN QUENTIN (CBS SF) — Two death row inmates at San Quentin State Prison died Friday at outside hospitals from what appear to be complications related to COVID-19.

The California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation identified the inmates as Scott Thomas Erskine, 57, and Manuel Machado Alvarez, 59. Erskine had been on death row since 2004 for the murder of two young boys in San Diego, while Machado had been on death row since 1989 for a string of crimes in Sacramento including rape and murder.

There have been two other deaths of condemned inmates deaths amid an exploding number of coronavirus cases at the prison.

Richard Stitely, 71, was found unresponsive in his cell last week on June 29 and was confirmed Monday to have tested positive for COVID-19. He was sentenced for the 1990 rape and murder of a 47-year-old woman in Los Angeles County.

Joseph S. Cordova, 75, was found dead in his cell on July 1. He had been sentenced to death for the rape and murder of an eight-year-old girl in San Pablo.

As of Friday afternoon, there were a total of 1,381 infections, with 944 of them occurring within the last two weeks. Dozens of inmates have been treated at Bay Area hospitals under heavy security, including Marin General, Seton Medical Center and Saint Francis Hospital in San Francisco.

The CDCR said there are currently 722 people on California’s death row.

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/20...complications/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Junior Member Stranger
    Takes a nasty virus to do what our gutless Governor won't...

California executing anyone again is just a fantasy once I saw Robert Dunham tweet that Gavin Newsom will pick someone to replace Justice Mingh. I knew we were going to see the beginning of the modern day Byrd Court.

We all know Dunham loves antis and will only post positive things about them. After all he invited that low life disgusting Larry Kranser to an award ceremony of his and they gave him awards.

Newsom did however, do some good. Once these death row inmates are transferred out of San Quentin we’ll see them getting attacked in prison. California has so many inmate on inmate attack deaths each year.
    Last edited by Neil; 07-04-2020 at 10:18 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information