Thread: Jumar D. Henry sentenced in 2010 FL Slaying of Jennifer Renee-Henry Ling

Jumar D. Henry sentenced in 2010 FL Slaying of Jennifer Renee-Henry Ling

April 26, 2010

Son arrested in decapitation slaying of Jacksonville woman

Her head was found in a bag blocks away from her body inside home.

Scratches on his face and blood under his fingernails - that's what members of Jumar D. Henry's church saw Sunday and reported to police.

Little did they know the decapitated body of his mother lie in her home in the 1500 block of West Sixth Street, her head tossed out in a black plastic bag three blocks away.

Police admit they don't know what led up to the gruesome Saturday night death of 43-year-old Jennifer Renee-Henry Ling as her 21-year-old son sits in the Duval County jail charged with murder.

"We don't know at this point. We just don't know," said Jacksonville Sheriff's Office Lt. Larry Schmitt.

As white-suited police evidence technicians combed the tidy one-story home just blocks away from the historic Edward Waters College campus, neighbors wonder what happened too.

One of many watching Monday's forensic investigation from their porches said any time she saw Henry, who lived in the 1000 block of North Liberty Street, he "acted weird." She and others within earshot of the home said they heard nothing Saturday night, but the aftermath horrified Rosetta Mondul, who has lived across the street since 1946.

"It was horrible," Mondul said. "It was terrible. I have never seen anything like this in my life."

Family members found Ling's body inside her home about 1:15 p.m. Sunday and called police. Shortly after that, police received another call about the discovery of a head in a bag a few blocks away in one of the empty grassy lots that rings Dot and Tyler streets.

Ling's boyfriend said he had spoken to her on the telephone about 8:45 p.m. Saturday, and she indicated her son was with her. Witnesses at the site of the decapitated head's discovery said they saw the son walk to the back of a lot about 9:50 p.m. carrying a bag, then return without it a few minutes later.

At 12:15 a.m. Sunday, Henry's father saw his son with injuries to his head but was told he'd been beaten by some men. Police wouldn't say where Henry's injuries came from, his arrest photograph showing an obvious bruise on his forehead.

When Henry went to church Sunday morning, members saw the blood and the head injury and called police. He came to the Sheriff's Office with family members for an interview but didn't want to stay after being told he couldn't leave about 1:15 p.m., Schmitt said.

"Henry attempted to force his way out of the homicide office and it took several officers and detectives to subdue him," Schmitt said.

That escape attempt added three counts of battery on a police officer to Henry's docket, said Schmitt, who wouldn't elaborate on what was used to kill his mother or cut off her head. Whether Ling was dead before her head was removed will be up to the medical examiner to determine, he added.

Ineligible for bail, Henry faced his first court appearance Monday. He has one prior arrest for grand theft and no convictions, police said. Members of Ling's family could not be reached for comment.

http://jacksonville.com/news/metro/2...noticed-church

Son accused of gruesome butchering of his mother in Jacksonville

For a former cop, coming to terms with accusations that your daughter was killed and butchered at the hands of her son - your grandson - is difficult enough.

For Laurence Ling Sr., it's impossible to believe.

Even knowing that his grandson recently has been declared mentally unfit to stand trial for the April 24 slaying in Jacksonville is not an explanation, he said.

Ling, 69, said the stabbing and decapitation of Jennifer Ling-Henry leaves him with unanswered questions the former New York City police officer can't unwind.

"You can't cut no head off with a steak knife," he said of implements found next to Ling-Henry's body. "You've got to have something bigger."

Because Jumar Henry, 22, has been sent to a state mental hospital does not mean he was unbalanced and killed his mother, his grandfather said. It may just be a sign he couldn't take the pressure of being accused of the killing and jailed, he said.

They are nagging questions Ling ponders in the case of Henry, the youngest child of his daughter, and who has been charged with first-degree murder. The state has said it will seek the death penalty.

"I'm trying to deal with it," Ling said. "It ain't easy."

He said evidence can point in other directions.

"More than one person could have done this," he said.

Ling-Henry was killed inside a small, gold house that has a pair of white columns on West Sixth Street, where she had lived for a couple of months.

The 43-year-old woman died of multiple stab wounds, according to an autopsy report obtained by the Times-Union with other documents by the State Attorney's Office. Her eyes were cut out and left at the scene but her head was missing.

Blood and bloody handprints were found all through the house, where investigators believe the attack started in the master bedroom. Barefoot imprints in blood collected at the scene matched footprint impressions taken from Henry, police said

Ling-Henry's head was found a few blocks away, tossed over a backyard fence in a black garbage bag that also contained clothes of Henry's.

A drummer in gospel groups

Henry had been a musician, a drummer since about age 5, his grandfather said, and often played with gospel groups that included family members who sometimes recorded in Savannah.

That's when Ling, who lives in South Carolina and is also a gospel performer, would see his grandson.

"When they did their recordings, they made sure Granddaddy knew," he said. "He played drums in his daddy's group for many years."

In a court-ordered mental health evaluation begun four days after the killing, Henry's mental state was described as "organized and goal-directed," according to a report by forensic psychologist William Meadows.

There was no evidence of hallucinations, and Henry denied having any experience with them.

But on May 24, a notation made at the Duval County jail noted that Henry "snapped," according to the report.

He yelled, "I love you, Mom!" and other snippets of conversation while standing naked in his cell or wearing only underwear. Mental health workers found him in a trance-like state.

In the weeks that followed, Henry turned occasionally psychotic, agitated and his thought processes disconnected, the report said. At other times there was no evidence of mental health problems.

Henry also wouldn't answer health workers' questions to determine if he understood the charges or consequences of his case or was able help it in other ways.

A second evaluation for the Public Defender's Office by psychologist Harry Krop made similar findings but suggested Henry might be schizophrenic.

In September, Circuit Court Judge David Gooding wrote that Henry's mental illness left him incompetent to stand trial and ordered sent to a mental health treatment facility to evaluate his competency.

Henry had never shown signs of any mental health problems in the past, Ling said.

"He was a lovable child," he said.

Henry's court record shows a few minor traffic violations and one case where charges of grand theft and making a false statement to get credit were dropped. He could be reacting to the stress of the murder and being charged with it, Ling said.

"I can't say, after what happened, what happened [to Henry] then," he said. "Because that was his momma. Before that he was as calm a young man as I could see."

A pair of crime scenes

Police investigating the murder that Sunday soon had two crime scenes.

On Saturday night, Henry had been seen walking with a garbage bag he tossed over a fence on West Third Street. A curious witness found the bag and its contents the next morning.

It appeared Ling-Henry's hair had been washed, an investigator noted.

By then, Henry was at his father's house, bruised and cut, with skinned knuckles and blood on his hands. He told his family eight guys jumped him at a Checker's restaurant on Kings Road.

When word about Ling-Henry and the decapitation reached them, Henry's family took him to Alexander Temple Community Church on North Broad Street, where members were in the midst of Sunday services, said Phillip Henson, an associate pastor.

Henson said Henry was anguished and repeating, "I didn't do it."

"He was just crying, just crying," Henson said.

Henson said he knew Henry as a child running in the aisles at church.

"There was never no problems," he said. "He was quiet. Timid."

In the months since the murder, Henson said he has thought about the crime. There was never any noticeable strife in Henry's family, he said.

"He did not act like somebody who killed his mother, not when he was crying in my arms," he said.

Police were called to the church. They took Henry for questioning and arrested him that day.

'I gave it to God'

Henry's father, Olsen Henry, who is estranged from his son's mother, declined to talk with the Times-Union for this story.

The family has been supportive, however, as in a letter his sister sent to him in jail in July.

Chatty about looking for work and a niece's kindergarten graduation, Saterica Stewart's letter tells her brother he is in her thoughts daily.

"I'm mad you are being accused of killing mom but I gave it to God and I'm just waiting for judgment day from God," she wrote in part.

Annie Ling, Ling-Henry's step-mother, said her daughter-in-law was a natural friend.

Ling-Henry would call about twice a week to check in, she said.

"We'd stay on the phone two, three hours," she said. "Most all of it was about the Lord. I miss her."

Ling-Henry held strongly to her faith, her mother-in-law said.

"She could depend on God for anything."

The murder case against Henry won't move forward until mental health workers have a chance to determine his psychological competence to help with a defense. He is scheduled to be back in court Feb. 3.

http://jacksonville.com/news/metro/2...ing-his-mother

Video: Man Denies Beheading Mom

A man accused of beheading his mother denied to investigators that he killed her, according to discovery material released Wednesday by the state attorney's office.

Jumar Henry, 22, was arrested in April after the decapitated body of his 43-year-old mother, Jennifer Renee-Henry Ling, was found in her home. Her head was later found in a plastic bag a few blocks away.

Henry was charged with first-degree murder after his father noticed scratches on his face and blood under his fingernails and called police. In November, Henry was declared mentally unfit to stand trial.

Detectives believe the homicide occurred during an altercation and the murder weapon was a steak knife that Henry found in the house.

In an interrogation room waiting to be questioned by officers, as is seen on video released by prosecutors, Henry did not appear to want anything to do with the investigation or the detectives trying to question him.

"I didn't do one thing, sir," he said.

"Back up," an officer said.

"I didn't touch her," Henry said.

"Back up. I'm telling you to back up," the officer said.

"Sir," Henry said.

A struggle between the men can be heard, but the video does not show the altercation.

"Get the Taser. Tase him. Tase him. Tase him," an officer yelled.

After being stunned with a Taser, Henry was back in the interrogation room and covered in blood. He was also in shackles.

Other evidence released includes a photo of the bag in which investigators discovered Henry's mother's head in a field across the street from her Sixth Street home.

The evidence also includes a letter that Henry wrote from jail and addressed to his church. In it, he asks for money for food.

He also said that he "knows my God is going to bring me out of this situation because my God is in control."

Henry's mental competency will be reviewed next month. The state has said it will seek the death penalty in this case.

http://www.news4jax.com/news/26377448/detail.html

Jacksonville man pleads guilty in stabbing, decapitation of his mother

A Jacksonville man who decapitated his mother after stabbing her in April 2010 pleaded guilty to second-degree murder Thursday, according to the State Attorney’s Office.

Jumar D. Henry, 25, killed 43-year-old Jennifer Ling-Henry inside her West Sixth Street home, then cut her head off, took out the eyeballs and put the head in a black garbage bag before throwing it over a backyard fence, according to Times-Union archives.

Henry was committed to a state mental hospital after being declared incompetent by a judge. A psychiatrist found him competent last September, according to court records.

Prosecutors had originally filed a first-degree murder charge and were seeking the death penalty, according to court records.

After Henry pleaded guilty, Circuit Judge Tatiana Salvador sentenced him to 35 years in prison, according to the State Attorney’s Office. The office did not indicate a motive for the slaying.

Read more at Jacksonville.com: http://jacksonville.com/news/crime/2...#ixzz39kjQGOUp
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Thread Information