Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Joshua Komisarjevsky - Connecticut

Jury ends day with no sentence in home invasion

A Connecticut jury deciding whether a man should get the death penalty for killing a woman and her two daughters in a home invasion completed a third day of deliberations without reaching a decision.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...270d4de43821b3

Jurors to start day 5 in Connecticut home invasion

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?se...rbs&id=8460955

Verdict reached in Conn. home invasion sentence

A jury has reached a verdict in the sentencing of a Connecticut man for a gruesome home invasion in which he and an accomplice killed a woman and her two daughters.

Joshua Komisarjevsky (koh-mih-sar-JEV'-skee) faces life in prison or the death penalty by lethal injection. His accomplice, Steven Hayes, is already on death row.

Hayes was convicted last year of raping and strangling Jennifer Hawke-Petit. Her daughters died of smoke inhalation after they were tied to their beds and left to die in a fire. Komisarjevsky was convicted in October of the killings and sexually assaulting Hawke-Petit's 11-year-old daughter.

His defense argued for leniency, saying his foster brother sexually abused him for years when he was a young child and he never received proper psychological treatment.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...f0b1e86afc7bc6

Nobody from Komisarjevsky's family is in court room so he'll face his fate alone.

Judge Blue is reviewing the verdict forms in a silent courtroom.

Rises to face jury. Jury forewoman stands as court clerk begins reading.

Register's Randy Beach confirms that Joshua Komisarjevsky will get death by lethal injection.

Jurors sit stone faced as court clerk continues to read all of the verdicts that will result in Komisarjevsky being put to death.

So far 5 of 6 counts Komisarvevsky to receive death sentence.

Jury gives Joshua Komisarjevsky death on all counts.

his hands clasped military style behind his back, lets loose w/ an audible sigh & shrug of his shoulders as clerk continues reading.

Defense Attorney Jeremiah Donovan asks for polling of each individual juror.

Gov. Malloy: Today's Not the Day to Discuss the Death Penalty

In the wake of a jury's decision Friday afternoon to hand down a death sentence to convicted home invasion killer Joshua Komisarjevsky, opponents of capital punishment in Connecticut vowed to press on with their cause while death penalty supporters pledged to continue fighting repeal efforts.

Gov. Dannel P. Malloy, who has said in the past that he would sign a repeal bill if one got to his desk, said just minutes after the verdict was handed down that now isn't the time to discuss the matter.

"Gov. Malloy doesn’t think today is a day for him to discuss his views on the death penalty,'' top aide Roy Occhiogrosso said via email. "His thoughts and prayers are with the Petit family.”

State Rep. Gary Holder-Winfield, a New Haven Democrat who serves on the legislature's judiciary committee and is leader of the repeal movement, said he hopes to once again submit a bill banning capital punishment and replacing it with life in prison without the possibility of release.

"If I can run the bill, I will run the bill,'' Holder-Winfield said. "It is my goal, my intention to make the attempt to abolish the death penalty every time I have the opportunity until it's abolished."

That could be challenging. Because 2012 is a short legislative session, only bills submitted by the committee will be considered. "It's my intention to make the attempt to get the judiciary committee to run the bill,'' Holder-Winfield said.

It's also an election year, and getting controversial legislation passed just before lawmakers go to the polls presents an additional challenge. Holder-Winfield said he's undettered--"I think elections play into everything we do if we're being honest."

The murders of the Petit family in 2007 have long cast a giant shadow over legislative discussions on the death penalty. A repeal bill cleared the General Assembly in 2009 only to be vetoed by then-Gov. M. Jodi Rell.

During the 2011 session, the effort fell apart after two key state senators said they couldn't support a repeal in the wake of the Petit murders.

Dr. William Petit, the lone survivor of the home invasion, was a frequent presence at the Capitol each time the bill came up for a public hearing. "He puts a face...to this case and that really resonates with folks," state Sen. John Kissel, R-Enfield, the ranking member of the judiciary committee and a longtime opponent of repeal.

In light of the emotional pull that the Cheshire case exerted on the debate, capital punishment opponents tried to broker a compromise that would only have repealed the death penalty prospectively, for crimes that have yet to be committed.

But Kissel and others said such a distinction was unenforceable and would likely mean that no one would ever be executed in Connecticut again.

"To my mind that flies in the face of all the time and effort both the Hayes jury and this jury took in coming to the conclusion that these perpetrators deserve a death sentence because their crimes were so diabolical and horrific,'' Kissel said.

http://www.courant.com/news/politics...,3720679.story

Komisarjevsky's Uncle: Killer Is On His Own

When the jury in New Haven County Court announced its verdict in Judge Jon Blue's courtroom Friday, the second of two murderers came face-to-face with the death penalty in the monstrous 2007 Cheshire crime that was so devastating to the Petit and Hawke families and their many friends.

The convicted criminal in the courtroom that day has the same last name as I. He is my nephew. Because of that, many would have expected that I and my family would have circled the wagons to protect him.

We chose not to do that. Our reason is clear: we believe and have taught our children that each individual bears personal responsibility for the decisions he makes, how he behaves and what he permits to continue to go on around him.

That crime was beyond comprehension and there are no excuses. My family lives every day with the knowledge that the sadness borne by the Petit and Hawke families is something that will never go away.

In the face of such sorrow, the Petit and Hawke families have shown extraordinary dignity. While they face an overwhelming emptiness, they never fail to support one another. Beyond that, every day that my wife, Reina, and I were in the courtroom to show our support for them, you could feel their warmth and kindness. We didn't expect it and they certainly didn't have to be so gracious. For that, this family will be eternally grateful.

The horrific acts of the two criminals had the impact of an earthquake. At the epicenter, the damage to the Petit and Hawke families was beyond belief. Extending outward, others felt the tremor. Those close by who knew the families and those far away who only heard about the crime were united in their horror.

As a Komisarjevsky, I grew up in a family where caring about others and doing what is right was the expected path. Our parents never failed to be the example for kindness, intellect, and giving. Each in their own right, they were well-known, respected and beloved. My father, Theodore Komisarjevsky, was a renowned theater director from a famous Russian theatrical family. My mother, Ernestine Stodelle Komisarjevsky Chamberlain, was a leading figure in modern dance, a teacher and a writer. My step-father, John Chamberlain, was a distinguished and admired columnist, author and book critic.

Some of the testimony in court disparaging my parents was outrageous. To have said such things was a desperate act with the obvious goal of creating excuses for inhumane behavior.

As our parents' children, we know the truth. We know the importance of what they taught us about values, character and behavior. The fact is that my step-father John Chamberlain was a quiet, compassionate man who would do anything for anyone and share what he had with those in need. He was kind to everyone, patient and never judgmental. My mother was generous and everything she did was for others throughout her life, even well into her 90s. To say otherwise of either was clearly a lie.

Beyond speaking out within days to condemn the crime and attending the Memorial Service with my wife and two of our children, I have been vocal about this crime ever since. During the sentencing phase of the trial, Reina and I came to court as often as we could. Our goal for being there in person was simple: to shake the hand of Dr. William Petit Jr., the Petit and the Hawke family members, apologize in person, express our sorrow, and be with them in support.

As we sat in court those days, one thing became very clear: the convicted criminal showed no remorse. For us, that too is beyond comprehension.

Speaking on behalf of my family, my sister's family, and John Chamberlain's children, we are united in expressing our sorrow to the Petit and Hawke families and our appreciation for their kindness to us.

Chris Komisarjevsky lives in Atlantic Beach, N.Y.

http://www.courant.com/news/opinion/...,6449618.story

Petit reacts to Komisarjevsky death sentence

With the two men convicted of killing his family sentenced to death, William Petit Jr. said Friday that justice has been served.

Komisarjevsky was sentenced to death Friday after nearly 20 hours of deliberation by the jury. He faced six capital counts in the 2007 Petit home invasion which left Jennifer Hawke-Petit, 17-year-old Hayley Petit and 11-year-old Michaela Petit dead.

"We are satisfied that the defendant has been judged to be the murderer, the rapist and the criminal that he is," Petit said Friday after the trial. "Now he has been condemned to the ultimate penalty. We think society will be a little bit safer with him and his co-defendant facing the death penalty."

"The first part is over. We know there are appeals and the like but at least we think that appropriate justice has been served," he said.

Last year, a separate jury convicted Komisarjevsky's accomplice, Steven Hayes, of the murders and also sentenced him to death.

Outside the courthouse after the trial, Petit criticized some of the defense team's tactics as they tried to spare Komisarjevsky the death penalty. Defense attorneys showed pictures of Komisarjevsky's childhood during the trial, for example.

"Every time one of those pictures went up, I thought, ‘Charles Manson was a baby once. I'm not sure if this is particularly relevant,'" Petit said. "And you don't get to hear anything about the victims."

"I thought a lot of it was particularly distasteful but people tell me that's their job," he said.

One of the mitigating factors raised by the defense was Komisarjevsky's Christian upbringing, which lawyers argued had damaged him psychologically. Petit said he "had a lot of difficulty" with that approach.

"He didn't lead a particularly Christian life from a young age onward," Petit said. "They sort of tarred and feathered Christians all over because of the actions of one person. That doesn't seem appropriate."

Petit's sister Johanna Chapman was also outspoken in her displeasure with defense attorneys in the case and their attempt to deflect guilt from Komisarjevsky.

"This was a crime of sexual predation," Chapman said. "I think the jury saw that and saw through all the other things that the defense tried to put on that I would classify as lies."

The two men targeted the Petit family for a robbery in the early morning hours of July 23, 2007. Komisarjevsky had seen Hawke-Petit's SUV in the parking lot of the Maplecroft shopping plaza in Cheshire the previous day and followed it to their Sorghum Mill Drive home. The home invasion began at around 3 a.m.

"They came up with the right decision; we know it was the right decision. There was no other outcome that would have been correct for this," Chapman said. "It's not bloodlust, it's not revenge."

Petit said he'll return to some semblance of normal life with the trial's end and would consider returning to his medical practice. He'll continue working with the Petit Family Foundation, which he said is intended to create positive memories of his lost family members.

"There's never complete closure when you lose a wife and a family, when you lose your only sister, when you lose your only sister-in-law, when you lose two of your grandchildren," Petit said.

On Friday he thanked supporters and workers in the offices of victim advocate and services. Petit called for more funding in those offices and changes to the procedure for penalty trials, which he said were weighted towards the criminal.

Petit said he had no desire for an apology from Komisarjevsky.

"No, no, I prefer not to hear a thing," he said "I don't want to hear from the man at all."

http://www.myrecordjournal.com/chesh...l#.TuKxAXJFvqE

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread Information