Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Donald Anthony Grant - Oklahoma Execution - January 27, 2022

Judge denies stay of execution request for group of Oklahoma death row inmates

OKLAHOMA CITY — A U.S. district judge denied a stay of execution for a group of Oklahoma death row inmates after their lawyers requested that their executions be delayed.

U.S. District Judge Stephen Friot heard arguments Monday about whether to delay the executions of five Oklahoma death row inmates – Julius Jones, Donald Grant, John Grant, Gilbert Postelle and Wade Lay. Friot denied the request, meaning the state can move forward with executing them.

The death row inmates' lawyers told KOCO 5 that they plan to file an emergency appeal Monday afternoon with the 10th Circuit Court of Appeals. If the 10th Circuit rules against them, they will appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court.

If no appeal is successful, Oklahoma will proceed with its first execution since 2015 on Thursday. John Grant, whom the Oklahoma Pardon and Parole Board denied clemency for in early October, will be put to death for the killing of an Oklahoma detention center officer.

John Grant has been on death row since 1998.

Jones has a clemency hearing on Tuesday after members of the Pardon and Parole Board recommended in September to commute his sentence. He was sentenced to death for the 1999 killing of Edmond businessman Paul Howell.

Gov. Kevin Stitt said he will not make a final decision on Jones' case until after the clemency hearing.

Jones' execution date is set for Nov. 18.

https://www.koco.com/article/judge-d...mates/38057946
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Stay of execution denied by the 10th Circuit.

https://law.justia.com/cases/federal...021-11-12.html
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Federal Appeals Court denies appeal to Oklahoma death row prisoners

TULSA, Oklahoma - A federal appeals court ruled against Julius Jones and three other Oklahoma death row inmates who wanted their executions put on hold.

The 10th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Denver ruled against Julius Jones, Donald Grant, Gilbert Postelle and Wade Lay.

Their attorneys wanted their executions stayed until a ruling was made in a lawsuit questioning whether Oklahoma's lethal injection protocol is constitutional.

https://www.newson6.com/story/6191d2...-row-prisoners
    "How do you get drunk on death row?" - Werner Herzog

"When we get fruit, we get the juice and water. I ferment for a week! It tastes like chalk, it's nasty" - Blaine Keith Milam #999558 Texas Death Row

Clemency hearing approaches for another Oklahoma death row inmate

Donald Grant, an Oklahoma death row inmate, is scheduled to go before the Pardon and Parole Board for a clemency hearing on Tuesday.

By Evan Onstot
    koco.com

OKLAHOMA CITY — Another Oklahoma death row inmate is scheduled for a clemency hearing on Tuesday.

Donald Grant, an Oklahoma death row inmate, is scheduled to go before the Pardon and Parole Board for a clemency hearing on Tuesday. Grant was sentenced to death for the 2001 murders of Brenda McElyea and Suzette Smith.

Grant’s supporters say he should be in a mental institution, not a prison. They say this is because Grant has brain damage and suffers from schizophrenia.

He is scheduled to be executed on January 27, 2022. His clemency hearing is on Tuesday.

https://www.koco.com/article/clemenc...nmate/38381388

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

Place your bets ladies and gentlemen! Will it be another illegitimate clemency recommendation? And what will the vote be? 3-2 denial? 3-2 clemency? 4-1 clemency?

Time for another farce as dumb and dumber once again bend over backwards to hand out clemency like candy in their blind servility to the lodestar of "reform."
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Junior Member Stranger
    The way things are going lately, I think we will see more and more clemency recommendations. It seems to be shifting lately - if the protocol was the same across the board and all DP states used the same methods then that would stop the "pain" appeals? When it comes to mental health though its tricky.

I do believe though there are indeed cases where institutions would make a better sentence for some. Things have come a long way and we now recognise mental illness better than we used to. Also shows how we fail in society to give care to those that need it rather than to let these crimes be committed by them.

Of course Adam Luck was the one who voted yes. No surprise here

Luck is an empty suit soyjak Ivy Leaguer and should be removed from the board.

Authorities set for hearings over two Oklahoma death row inmates' executions

Lawyers for Donald Grant and Gilbert Postelle say the way Oklahoma carries out the death penalty has a "substantial risk of severe pain and suffering."

By KOCO News Staff

OKLAHOMA CITY — Two Oklahoma death row inmates have hearings scheduled for Monday, hoping their executions are stopped.

Lawyers for Donald Grant and Gilbert Postelle say the way Oklahoma carries out the death penalty has a "substantial risk of severe pain and suffering."

Grant was sentenced to death for a 2001 double murder. Though he admits to the murders, Grant's lawyers claim he is severely mentally ill and shouldn’t be executed.

"Mr. Grant is well aware he’s going to be executed. He does not wish to be executed. He is afraid, and he understands that he may die like John Grant. And he’s terrified of that," attorney Susan Otto said.

Postelle was convicted in four murders that happened on Memorial Day in 2005. He believed the four people he killed were responsible for injuring his father in a motorcycle accident.

Postelle said he was addicted to meth from a young age and doesn't remember the crime.

The Oklahoma Pardon and Parole Board denied clemency for Grant and Postelle in late 2021.

A trial in February also will decide whether Oklahoma can continue its lethal injection protocols. Judge Stephen Friot will decide whether Oklahoma's lethal injection protocol is constitutional.

If so, around two dozen inmates could immediately get execution dates. If not, there would be new delays in executing a total of more than 40 people on death row.

https://www.koco.com/article/oklahom...telle/38709438
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Judge refuses to stay Oklahoma executions of Donald Grant and Gilbert Ray Postelle

A federal judge on Friday refused to block Oklahoma from carrying out the next two scheduled executions.

Donald A. Grant is set to be executed Jan. 27 by lethal injection, and Gilbert Ray Postelle is set to be executed Feb. 17.

Their attorneys complained that the state use of a sedative, midazolam, will expose them to an unconstitutional level of pain during the procedure.

They pointed to what happened during an execution Oct. 28 as proof.

U.S. District Judge Stephen Friot heard testimony about that execution during an almost 10-hour hearing Monday in Oklahoma City federal court.

"It is sufficient to say here that a prisoner who challenges the state’s method of execution must show that the state’s method presents 'a substantial risk of severe pain,'" he wrote in his order Friday, quoting from U.S. Supreme Court decisions.

"A method of execution that presents a 'substantial risk' is one that 'is sure or very likely to cause serious illness and needless suffering.' ... Grant and Postelle have not made that showing.

"They have not shown that, in the words of the Supreme Court, it is 'sure or very likely' that their executions will entail physical pain more severe than that attendant to the insertion of the IV catheters."

Donald Grant, 46, was sentenced to death for killing two workers at a LaQuinta Inn in Del City during a 2001 robbery.

Postelle, 35, was convicted of murdering four people on Memorial Day 2005 outside a trailer in Del City. He was sentenced to death for two of the murders and to life in prison without the possibility of parole for the other two.

The Oklahoma Court of Criminal Appeals scheduled their executions after they were kicked out of a lawsuit challenging the state's lethal injection process.

Friot kicked them out because they refused last year to pick a specific alternative method of execution. Their attorneys said they refused on religious grounds. Since then, both have chosen firing squad as an alternative.

The U.S. Supreme Court has made picking an alternative a requirement for challenging execution procedures.

More than two dozen inmates remain in the lawsuit. Their executions will be scheduled if they lose. A trial before Friot is set to begin Feb. 28.

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/news...ma/6526096001/

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information