Thread: Ronald Clark O'Bryan - Texas Execution - March 31, 1984

Ronald Clark O'Bryan - Texas Execution - March 31, 1984

Facts of Crime: murdered his eight-year-old son Timothy on Halloween 1974 with cyanide-laced candy in order to claim life insurance money

Victim: Timothy O'Bryan

Time of Death: 12:48 a. m.

Manner of execution: Lethal Injection

Last Meal: T-bone steak (medium to well done), French fries with ketchup, whole kernel corn, sweet peas, a lettuce and tomato salad with egg and French dressing, iced tea, sweetener, saltines, Boston cream pie, and rolls

Final Statement: "What is about to transpire in a few moments is wrong! However, we as human beings do make mistakes and errors. This execution is one of those wrongs yet doesn’t mean our whole system of justice is wrong. Therefore, I would forgive all who have taken part in any way in my death. Also, to anyone I have offended in any way during my 39 years, I pray and ask your forgiveness, just as I forgive anyone who offended me in any way. And I pray and ask God’s forgiveness for all of us respectively as human beings. To my loved ones, I extend my undying love. To those close to me, know in your hearts I love you one and all. God bless you all and may God’s best blessings be always yours.

Ronald C. O’Bryan

P.S. During my time here, I have been treated well by all T.D.C. personnel."

Ronald Clark O'Bryan (nicknamed The Candyman) (October 19, 1944 – March 31, 1984) was a murderer from Deer Park, Texas (near Houston), who was convicted of killing his eight-year-old son Timothy on Halloween, 1974 with cyanide-laced candy in order to claim life insurance money. He may have also distributed poisoned candy to other children (none of whom ate it) in an attempt to cover up his crime. O'Bryan had recently taken out a life insurance policy on each of his children, Timothy and Elizabeth. Elizabeth did not eat any of the tainted candy.

After O'Bryan's crimes became public, Halloween safety programs were implemented in Deer Park, teaching parents methods for evaluating the safety of door-to-door treats by visual inspection.

During the execution, a crowd of college students wearing Halloween masks showed up to cheer.

Sam Houston State University students Tom Champagne, left, and Danny Fiorella, with sign, mark the execution by lethal injection of Ronald Clark O'Bryan on March 31, 1984, in Huntsville.

The musical group Siouxsie and the Banshees recorded a song about O'Bryan called "Candyman," the first track on their album Tinderbox.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronald_Clark_O%27Bryan

Thread Information