Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: John Marion Grant - Oklahoma Execution - October 28, 2021

Grant was up for execution in 2015. Good they want him first.
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Senior Member CnCP Addict
    Execution dates set for Julius Jones, 6 other Oklahoma death row inmates

By The Oklahoman

High-profile death row inmate Julius Jones has been scheduled for execution Nov. 18.

The Oklahoma Court of Criminal Appeals on Monday set execution dates for Jones and six other inmates convicted of murder.

The court set the date for Jones even though the Oklahoma Pardon and Parole Board has recommended Gov. Kevin Stitt commute his death sentence.

The board voted 3-1 Sept. 13 to recommend his sentence be commuted to life in prison. If the governor agrees, Jones would be immediately eligible for parole.

Stitt could choose to commute the sentence to life in prison without the possibility of parole. He also could deny commutation.

Oklahoma's new attorney general, John O'Connor, asked the court to schedule the execution dates.

O'Connor made the request in August after a federal judge ruled six of the inmates could no longer participate in a legal challenge to the state's execution procedures.

“The seven inmates to be scheduled for execution were convicted of heinous crimes,” O’Connor said in August. “They either didn't challenge the protocol or offer an alternative method of execution."

The ongoing lawsuit focuses mainly on the use of a sedative, midazolam, in lethal injections.

Jones, 41, is facing execution for the 1999 fatal shooting of an Edmond insurance executive during a carjacking. Jurors chose the death penalty as punishment at a 2002 trial.

The victim, Paul Howell, was gunned down in his parents' driveway in Edmond after a back-to-school shopping trip with his daughters. Stolen was his 1997 Suburban.

Jones claims that he is innocent, that the real killer framed him and that his trial was unfair.

"I am not the only young Black male whose public defenders were overmatched, whose juries were biased, who were chewed up and spit out by a system that packs our prisons with people who look just like me," he wrote in a letter sent to the board.

Millions signed a petition in his support after ABC in 2018 aired the documentary series, "The Last Defense," about his innocence claim.

Oklahoma has not carried out an execution since 2015.

Scheduled for execution first is John Marion Grant, 60, an armed robber who was sentenced to death for fatally stabbing a prison kitchen worker in 1998.

His execution was set for Oct. 28.

Next is Jones.

Third is Bigler Jobe Stouffer, 78, who was sentenced to death for the 1985 fatal shooting of a Putnam City elemetary school teacher. His execution was set for Dec. 9.

Stouffer did not join dozens of other death row inmates in the legal challenge to the execution protocol. His attorney, though, told the Court of Criminal Appeals he will file his own challenge.

Fourth is Wade Greely Lay, 60, who was sentenced to death for killing a security guard during a botched bank robbery in 2004. His execution was set for Jan. 6.

Fifth is Donald A. Grant, 45, who was sentenced to death for killing two workers at the LaQuinta Inn in Del City during a 2001 robbery. His execution was set for Jan. 27.

Sixth is Gilbert Ray Postelle, 35, who was convicted of murdering four people on Memorial Day 2005 outside a trailer in Del City. He was sentenced to death for two of the murders and to life in prison without the possibility of parole for the other two.

His execution was set for Feb. 17.

Seventh is James Allen Coddington, 49, who was sentenced to death for killing a Choctaw man in 1997 during a cocaine binge. His execution was set for March 10.

O'Connor initally had asked for earlier dates. He revised his request when the appeals court did not act. He told the court he was doing so so that inmates will get a required notice and to allow the parole board time to conduct clemency hearings.

In the order, the judges on the Court of Criminal Appeals found that the setting of execution dates is now appropriate and required by law.

They acknowledged in a footnote that they are aware of Jones' commutation request. They wrote "this Court's duty to set a date certain is dictated" by law because there is currently no stay in effect.

https://eu.oklahoman.com/story/news/...es/8384218002/

Clemency Hearing For Death Row Inmate John Marion Grant Scheduled As Execution Date Draws Near

By ELIZABETH CALDWELL
    publicradiotulsa.org

Oct. 28 could be the date for Oklahoma’s first execution in years.

60-year-old John Marion Grant is the first of seven men in line to be executed. Grant was sentenced to death for the 1998 stabbing and killing of 58-year-old Dick Conner Correctional Center employee Gay Carter.

Sarah Jernigan, the assistant federal public defender for western Oklahoma, said she hopes Grant’s clemency hearing scheduled for 9 a.m. on Oct. 5 in front of Oklahoma’s Pardon and Parole board will go her client’s way.

“I think first and foremost we would say there is really nothing to be gained from executing John Grant at this point. We believe he is a person deserving of mercy. We believe the state of Oklahoma has instituted a clemency procedure for that very reason: to bestow mercy. We believe Mr. Grant is one deserving of mercy more than ever.”

Jernigan’s case for mercy isn’t an easy read. She says Grant was abused both by his family and the state charged with his protection.

According to documents from Jernigan, Grant was born in Ada, Oklahoma. He was the sixth of nine children who grew up in abject poverty. The family moved to Oklahoma City when Grant was young so his mother would stop “partying." But Grant stole to provide for the family and ended up in the infamous 1970’s Oklahoma juvenile justice system.

“Throwaway Kids” was a 1981 Peabody Award winning report from 20/20 about the neglect, abuse, and death that happened in the Oklahoma juvenile justice system while Grant was a resident. There was no foster care system at the time and children were placed in rural facilities.

The state collected federal per diem for each child but failed to care for them with the money. A litany of abuses is detailed in “Throwaway Kids,” among them that children were locked in their solitary cells for twenty-three hours a day.

After being released from the juvenile system, it wasn’t long before Grant was in the adult prison system. He stabbed Carter while serving time for armed robbery.

According to The Oklahoman archives, the motive for the attack was unclear in 1998. Subsequent motives have involved the relationship of Grant and Carter. Grant worked in the kitchen, but lost his job for fighting with another inmate.

There have been questions about the effectiveness of Grant’s counsel at his original trial. His lawyers married each other and got divorced one month before it started. One of them has since been disbarred.

Jernigan says the state ultimately failed Grant; it shouldn’t also be his executioner.

“Mr. Grant is extremely remorseful, he’s nearly blind, he’s in his 60’s. He seeks only to live out his days in peace. It’s a peace that has escaped him his entire life due in large part to the subhuman treatment he received as a child at the hands of state actors.”

If the parole board does recommend clemency for Grant, their suggestion will pass to Gov. Kevin Stitt who has the final say.

Jernigan says she believes Grant’s case for clemency has a shot with Stitt.

“I believe so, yes. I believe the governor has appointed some of these board members that he believes to be people of integrity and people of honor and trust. And if they would make a recommendation to the governor, I believe he would honor the recommendation of those he has put in place. I believe the governor himself is someone who would make the right decision to grant mercy.”

https://www.publicradiotulsa.org/pos...ate-draws-near
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Blame the stupidity of the ODOC. After the Dennis McGuire fiasco led to a moratorium in Ohio, you’d think Oklahoma and Arizona would have common sense to not use the same combination of drugs for Clayton Lockett and Joseph Wood. In Oklahoma’s case Lockett was the first of the trilogy. Second was executing Charles Warner with the wrong drugs and the final nail was attempting to execute Richard Glossip without any drugs to do it
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

He was already denied clemency previously. It's ridiculous he's getting another one. I hope Oklahoma doesn't become like Ohio and hand out clemency like candy. On another note, it's funny that October 28 is his date once again.
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Member Newbie
    3-2 vote unfortunate. Hopefully, further efforts to forestall his execution will fail.

OKLAHOMA CITY — The Oklahoma Pardon and Parole Board denied clemency for death row inmate John Grant.

Grant has been on death row since 1998 for the killing of an Oklahoma corrections center employee.

The Oklahoma Pardon and Parole Board voted 3-2 against clemency Tuesday.

Barring another late development, Oklahoma will put John Grant to death at the Oklahoma State Penitentiary in McAlester on Oct. 28. The execution will be the state's first since 2015 after authorities halted Oklahoma's execution program.

Parole Board denied clemency 3-2. Absolutely pathetic that 2 members voted to commute this thug.

Senior Member Frequent Poster Alfred's Avatar
    Is this something new that clemency gets decided three weeks before the execution date?

Judge denies stay of execution request for group of Oklahoma death row inmates

OKLAHOMA CITY — A U.S. district judge denied a stay of execution for a group of Oklahoma death row inmates after their lawyers requested that their executions be delayed.

U.S. District Judge Stephen Friot heard arguments Monday about whether to delay the executions of five Oklahoma death row inmates – Julius Jones, Donald Grant, John Grant, Gilbert Postelle and Wade Lay. Friot denied the request, meaning the state can move forward with executing them.

The death row inmates' lawyers told KOCO 5 that they plan to file an emergency appeal Monday afternoon with the 10th Circuit Court of Appeals. If the 10th Circuit rules against them, they will appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court.

If no appeal is successful, Oklahoma will proceed with its first execution since 2015 on Thursday. John Grant, whom the Oklahoma Pardon and Parole Board denied clemency for in early October, will be put to death for the killing of an Oklahoma detention center officer.

John Grant has been on death row since 1998.

Jones has a clemency hearing on Tuesday after members of the Pardon and Parole Board recommended in September to commute his sentence. He was sentenced to death for the 1999 killing of Edmond businessman Paul Howell.

Gov. Kevin Stitt said he will not make a final decision on Jones' case until after the clemency hearing.

Jones' execution date is set for Nov. 18.

https://www.koco.com/article/judge-d...mates/38057946

Pending litigation is not grounds for a stay of execution without a substantial likelihood of success on the merits. As long as the Oklahoma AG fights all the way to SCOTUS, Oklahoma will resume this Thursday and Grant will receive what's due exactly 6 years after he was supposed to.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information