Thread: Henry Martinez Porter - Texas Execution - July 9, 1985

Henry Martinez Porter - Texas Execution - July 9, 1985

Summary of Offense: Murdered a Fort Worth police officer on November 29, 1975.

Victim: Henry Mailloux

Time of Death: 12:31 A.M

Manner of execution: Lethal Injection

Last Meal: Flour tortillas, T-bone steak, refried beans, tossed salad, jalapeno peppers, ice cream and chocolate cake

Final Statement: "I want to thank Father Walsh for his spiritual help. I want to thank Bob Ray (Sanders) and Steve Blow for their friendship. What I want people to know is that they call me a cold-blooded killer when I shot a man that shot me first. The only thing that convicted me was that I am a Mexican and that he was a police officer. People hollered for my life, and they are to have my life tonight. The people never hollered for the life of the policeman that killed a thirteen-year-old boy who was handcuffed in the back seat of a police car. The people never hollered for the life of a Houston police officer who beat up and drowned Jose Campo Torres and threw his body in the river. You call that equal justice. This is your equal justice. This is America’s equal justice. A Mexican’s life is worth nothing. When a policeman kills someone he gets a suspended sentence or probation. When a Mexican kills a police officer this is what you get. From there you call me a cold-blooded murderer. I didn’t tie anyone to a stretcher. I didn’t pump any poison into anybody’s veins from behind a locked door. You call this justice. I call this and your society a bunch of cold-blooded murderers. I don’t say this with any bitterness or anger. I just say this with truthfulness. I hope God forgives me for all my sins. I hope that God will be as merciful to society as he has been to me. I’m ready, Warden."

July 10, 1985

Killer Blasts Society Before His Execution

HUNTSVILLE, TEX. — Moments before his execution early Tuesday, a 43-year-old man convicted of slaying a young policeman branded society "a bunch of cold-blooded murderers."

Henry Martinez Porter was pronounced dead at 12:31 a.m., becoming the second man put to death in Texas by injection in two weeks.

"What I want people to know is, that they call me a cold-blooded killer," Porter said in a final statement as he lay strapped to the death chamber gurney. "I shot a man who shot me first. The only thing that convicted me is that I'm a Mexican and he was a police officer.

"From there you call me a cold-blooded murderer. I didn't tie anybody to a stretcher. I didn't pump poison into anybody's veins from behind a locked door. You call this justice. I call this and your society a bunch of cold-blooded murderers."

Porter, who last week ordered his attorneys to halt all attempts to block his execution, cited two cases of police in Dallas and Houston killing Mexican-Americans and receiving only light penalties.

Porter, who earlier said he had made peace with himself, was put to death for the Nov. 29, 1975 murder of Ft. Worth police officer Henry Paul Mailloux. Porter claimed he shot the officer in self-defense.

Mailloux had been investigating a series of armed robberies when he stopped a car driven by Porter, who later was identified as one of the suspects in the three holdups.

Before Mailloux's murder, Porter had been convicted of car theft, burglary-robbery, assault and forgery.

Valerie Mailloux, the policeman's sister, said the execution would "take one person off the face of the Earth who doesn`t deserve to be there."

Porter was the 5th man put to death in Texas this year, the 9th since the state resumed executions in 1982 and the 47th person executed in the United States since the Supreme Court lifted its ban on capital punishment in 1976.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1...chamber-gurney

Thread Information