Thread: Eliseo Hernandez Moreno - Texas Execution - March 4, 1987

Eliseo Hernandez Moreno - Texas Execution - March 4, 1987

Trooper Russell Lynn Boyd

Summary of Offense: Convicted of the October 11, 1983 slaying of Department of Public Safety Trooper Russell Lynn Boyd. He had refused to pursue any appeals other than one required by state law.

Victim: Russell Lynn Boyd

Time of Death: 12:19 a.m.

Manner of execution: Lethal Injection

Last Meal: Four cheese enchiladas, two fish patties, french fries, milk, catsup and lemon pie

Final Statement: "I have no grudges against anybody or anything, The Word of God tells me the wages of sin are death. I am willing to pay according to the laws of Texas because I'm guilty." A witness called out: "I'll see you on the other side." Moreno responded, "No fear .. Darn right."

March 4, 1987

Killer of six spurns appeal, is executed

HUNTSVILLE - Former lawn mower repairman Eliseo Moreno rejected any appeals on his behalf and was executed today after asking forgiveness from the families of a state trooper and five others he killed during a 1983 murder spree.

"I have no grudges against anybody or anything," he said before a lethal dose of chemicals was administered shortly after midnight at the Texas death chamber. "The Word of God tells me the wages of sin are death. I am willing to pay according to the laws of Texas because I'm guilty."

A witness called out: "I'll see you on the other side." Moreno responded, "No fear .. Darn right."

He was pronounced dead at 12:19 a.m.

Moreno, 27, was convicted of the Oct. 11, 1983, slaying of Department of Public Safety Trooper Russell Boyd. He had refused to pursue any appeals other than one required by state law.

Boyd, 25, was shot six times at close range near Hempstead after stopping Moreno for a routine traffic violation. During a 5 1/2-hour rampage across six southeast Texas counties that night, Moreno killed five other people and kidnapped six.

Witnesses said Moreno had been drinking and was angry at the breakup of his marriage.

In letters written to the families of his victims, Moreno, who once wanted to be a police officer, admitted his guilt and asked for forgiveness, saying execution was his only atonement.

He held to that position Tuesday, telling prison officials he wanted no visitors and no contact with attorneys.

"He did not want to talk to any lawyer or anyone who might remotely try to persuade him to do otherwise," said Dick Tindal, his court-appointed attorney.

A Texas Civil Liberties Union official said little could be done without Moreno's permission. Moreno's mandatory appeal of the death sentence was denied.

Moreno, convicted in Boyd's death, also was charged in connection with the five other murders.

The first victims were Bryan postal worker Juan Garza, 30, Moreno's brother-in-law, and Garza's 31-year-old wife Esther, a food services worker, who were killed in the College Station apartment they shared with their two children. Moreno thought his estranged wife Blanca was there, prosecutors said.

The carnage continued 30 minutes later on Texas 6 in Waller County, where Boyd stopped Moreno for speeding.

After Boyd was murdered, Moreno robbed a Hempstead man of his vehicle and drove to the home of retired nurse Ann Bennatt, 70, to steal a car. He panicked and opened fire on Bennatt, her sister Allie Wilkins, 79, and her brother-in-law James Bennatte, 62. Bennatt died three weeks later from her wounds. The others died instantly.

Moreno then kidnapped Bill Shirley, his wife and three toddlers and forced them to drive him to Pasadena, where they were released unharmed. Ron Gangle was then kidnapped at gunpoint and ordered to drive Moreno to south Texas. The ordeal ended in Wharton County at a police roadblock, where Moreno was taken without incident.

Moreno spent Tuesday drinking coffee, watching television, playing dominoes and talking to inmates Richard Foster, Jerry Hogue and Rodolfo Hernandez, said David Nunnelee, a Texas Department of Corrections spokesman.

He declined breakfast, preferring to wait for the "big meal," an apparent reference to his last meal.

The last meal Moreno requested consisted of cheese enchiladas, fish patties, lemon pie and french fries, said Nunnelee.

After lunch, Moreno read the Bible and watched "Dennis the Menace "on television, Nunnelee said.

Moreno, who reaffirmed his religious faith while in prison, also spoke to Chaplain Alex Taylor, who was scheduled to be one of his personal witnesses.

Also on his witness list was Ruben Valdez, Moreno's brother-in-law. He was the only family member given permission to attend the execution.

Moreno spent the last three days visiting relatives, including his mother Maria, his brothers Felipe Jr., Lupe and Manuel, said Felipe Moreno, the condemned man's father.

He also was visited by his first wife, Irma Reyes, whom he divorced, and their four sons, who range in age from 4 1/2 to 9 years.

Moreno was in high spirits, Moreno's father said. "He's the way he's always been," he said.

Since the death penalty was reinstated in 1976, 21 other Texas convicts have been executed, including one other this year - Ramon Hernandez.

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/ar...id=1987_446306

Thread Information