Thread: Jimmy Glass - Louisiana Execution - June 12, 1987

Jimmy Glass - Louisiana Execution - June 12, 1987

Jimmy Glass

Summary of Offense: Convicted of shooting death of a bound and gagged couple in 1982.

Victims: Newt and Erlene Brown

Time of Death: 12:14 a.m.

Manner of execution: Electric Chair

Last Meal:

Final Statement: ''Yeah, I think I'd rather be fishing.''

June 13, 1987

Murderer of a Couple Executed in Louisiana

ANGOLA, La. — A swaggering inmate who said he would ''rather be fishing'' was executed in the electric chair early today for the shooting deaths of a bound and gagged couple in 1982.

Jimmy Glass, the third Louisiana inmate executed in five days, was pronounced dead at 12:14 A.M., Corrections Commissioner C. Hall Phelps said.

The 25-year-old high school dropout went to his death after the United States Supreme Court rejected an appeal without comment Thursday evening. The High Court also refused to stop Louisiana executions on Sunday and Tuesday.

Mr. Glass grinned as he was strapped into the electric chair. A short time earlier he was asked if he had a final statement and he said, ''Yeah, I think I'd rather be fishing.''

Mr. Glass was condemned for killing Newt and Erlene Brown on Christmas Eve five years ago at their home in Dixie Inn.

He contended that Jimmy Wingo, a cellmate who escaped with him from the Webster Parish jail the night of the murders, had held a shotgun to his head and made him kill the Browns after he called Wingo by name.

Mr. Wingo, 35, is scheduled to die next Tuesday for the killings. He said he had nothing to do with them.

http://www.nytimes.com/1987/06/13/us...xecuted&st=nyt

Thread Information