Thread: Jimmy C. Wingo - Louisiana Execution - June 16, 1987

Jimmy C. Wingo - Louisiana Execution - June 16, 1987

Summary of Offense: Convicted for the shooting deaths of a couple

Victims: Newt and Erlene Brown

Time of Death:

Manner of execution: Electric Chair

Last Meal:

Final Statement: As Mr. Wingo was taken into the death chamber at 12:06 A.M., he looked at a reporter and said, ''Hi. I'm ready.'' ''I am an innocent man,'' Mr. Wingo said after four guards led him into the death chamber at the state penitentiary. ''You are murdering me this day. I do still love you all in Christ. God bless you all.''

June 17, 1987

COUPLE'S SLAYER IS PUT TO DEATH

ANGOLA, La. — Jimmy Wingo, a double murderer, was put to death in the electric chair early today, the fourth man executed by Louisiana in 10 days.

''I am an innocent man,'' Mr. Wingo said after four guards led him into the death chamber at the state penitentiary. ''You are murdering me this day. I do still love you all in Christ. God bless you all.''

Mr. Wingo, 35 years old, was the 11th person put to death in Louisiana since it resumed executions in 1983. He was also the 11th person executed in the nation this year.

Another execution had been scheduled here Wednesday but it was blocked by the United States Supreme Court.

Mr. Wingo was a former Boy Scout who had served for a year as a park ranger before he turned to crime and wound up in jail on burglary charges. On Christmas Eve 1982 he escaped, along with a cellmate, Jimmy Glass.

That night, Newt Brown, 55, and his 51-year-old wife, Erlene, were shot to death after being bound and gagged in their bed. Mr. Wingo and Mr. Glass were convicted of the crime.

Mr. Glass was executed Friday. Mr. Wingo said he never entered the house. Trial Testimony Recanted

A former girlfriend of Mr. Wingo, Gwen Hill, recently videotaped a statement in which she recanted trial testimony implicating him, but that failed to persuade the Louisiana Pardon Board or the United States Supreme Court to halt the execution.

As Mr. Wingo was taken into the death chamber at 12:06 A.M., he looked at a reporter and said, ''Hi. I'm ready.''

In a rambling two-minute statement in the chamber, he said he had prayed for the prosecutors, judges and others who had worked for or supported his execution.

A few proponents of capital punishment were outside the penitentiary when Mr. Wingo was executed. One was a 16-year-old who said his teen-age sister was murdered in 1984 by a man now serving a life sentence. The boy carried a sign reading, ''Tell them about Jesus, then put them in the chair.''

Another convicted murderer, Leslie Lowenfield, was scheduled to die in the electric chair early Wednesday, but his execution was stayed today by the United States Supreme Court. Mr. Lowenfield, who was convicted of killing five people in 1982, was granted a reprieve while the Justices study a formal appeal filed on his behalf.

http://www.nytimes.com/1987/06/17/us...xecuted&st=nyt

Thread Information