Thread: Willie Celestine - Louisiana Execution - July 20, 1987

Willie Celestine - Louisiana Execution - July 20, 1987

Summary of Offense: Convicted of the 1981 murder of Marceliane Richard of Lafayette Parish.

Victim: Marceliane Richard

Time of Death: 12:27 a.m.

Manner of execution: Electric Chair

Last Meal:

Final Statement: ''I'd just like to tell the Richard family that I'm very, very sorry, I hope in their hearts they can forgive.''

July 21, 1987

SLAYER OF AGED WOMAN EXECUTED IN LOUISIANA AFTER APPEALS FAIL

ANGOLA, La., July 20 — Willie Celestine went to his death in Louisiana's electric chair today after apologizing to the family of Marceliane Richard, the 81-year-old woman he raped, beat and strangled six years ago.

''I'd just like to tell the Richard family that I'm very, very sorry,'' said the 30-year-old slayer before the electricity was switched on at 12:20 A.M. ''I hope in their hearts they can forgive.''

Mr. Celestine was pronounced dead at 12:27, said the warden of Louisiana State Penitentiary, Hilton Butler. It was Louisiana's fifth execution since early last month.

Two of Mrs. Richard's grandsons, Robert and John Broussard, were among the witnesses who watched the execution from behind a glass window. They sat quietly throughout and did not talk to reporters. Supporters at Execution

Also witnessing were Sister Helen Prejean, an opponent of the death penalty who was Mr. Celestine's spiritual adviser, and Millard Farmer, of Atlanta, his attorney.

Mr. Celestine mouthed the words ''I love you'' to them as he was strapped into the electric chair.

The execution was delayed about 10 minutes because Mr. Farmer was not a Louisiana resident and officials had to call Gov. Edwin W. Edwards after midnight to get permission for him to be a witness.

Only one death penalty opponent marched outside the prison gate Sunday night, officials said. By 10:30 P.M., the lone protester was gone and seven pro-death penalty demonstrators were left.

The execution took place after Governor Edwards rejected an 11th-hour plea for a reprieve from Mr. Celestine's lawyers to allow the condemned man a hearing before the state Pardon Board. Mr. Edwards has consistently refused to intervene in death penalty cases. Rights Pleas Unsuccessful

The Inter-American Commission on Human Rights, part of the Organization of American States, sent telegrams to Secretary of State George P. Shultz and Governor Edwards asking that the execution be halted.

The commission based its appeal on studies showing that blacks are more likely to get the death penalty, particularly if they kill whites. The Supreme Court earlier this year rejected appeals based on that argument.

Earlier Sunday, the United States Supreme Court refused to stop the execution. The United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit rejected Mr. Celestine's appeal on Saturday.

In a four-minute taped confession, played at his 1982 trial, Mr. Celestine said he was drunk and ''full of speed'' when he strangled Mrs. Richard and broke seven of her ribs and a vertebra in her neck after raping her.

His death date had been postponed five times in the last three years.

Mr. Celestine also was sentenced to life in prison for breaking into the homes of two other elderly women in the same Lafayette neighborhood and raping them.

He had several visitors Sunday, including his parents, a brother and a sister, Mr. Farmer and Sister Prejean, and talked to some friends by telephone, the warden said.

http://www.nytimes.com/1987/07/21/us...xecuted&st=nyt

Thread Information