Thread: Dale Pierre Selby - Utah Execution - August 28, 1987

Dale Pierre Selby - Utah Execution - August 28, 1987

Stan Walker

Cortney Naisbitt

Carol Naisbitt

Dale Pierre Selby

Summary of Offense: Convicted for his part in a 1974 robbery of a stereo shop in which five people were forced to drink drain cleaner and then shot in the head, three fatally.

Victims: Stanley Walker, Michelle Ansley and Carol Naisbitt

Time of Death:

Manner of execution: Lethal Injection

Last Meal:

Final Statement: "Thank those who tried so hard to keep me alive, I hope they continue to fight for equal justice after I'm gone. Tell my family goodbye and that I love them."

Note: William Andrews was executed for the same crime on July 30, 1992.

Related

July 31, 1992

Utah Executes Man for His Role In 1974 Robbery That Left 3 Dead

SALT LAKE CITY, July 30 — An inmate was executed by lethal injection early today for his part in a 1974 robbery of a stereo shop in which five people were forced to drink drain cleaner and then shot in the head, three fatally.

The inmate, William Andrews, 37 years old, went to his death at the Utah State Prison after 18 years on death row and a flurry of appeals in the final hours.

"Thank those who tried so hard to keep me alive," Mr. Andrews said in a final statement. "I hope they continue to fight for equal justice after I'm gone. Tell my family goodbye and that I love them."

Mr. Andrews had insisted that he did not deserve to die because he was not the person who shot the victims. But prosecutors said that the drain cleaner would have killed the victims if not for the shots, and that Mr. Andrews was as guilty as the person who pulled the trigger.

Mr. Andrews and another man, Pierre Dale Selby, were convicted of murder and robbery in the holdup at the Hi-Fi Shop in Ogden, about 30 miles from Salt Lake City. Mr. Selby, who fired the shots, was executed five years ago. A third man was acquitted of murder but convicted of robbery and later paroled.

In the 1974 robbery, five people were bound, forced to drink the drain cleaner Drano and shot in the head. Three died, including two women, one of whom was raped. One man was choked, and a ballpoint pen was driven deep into his head, but he survived.

Supporters of Mr. Andrews had contended he was the victim of racism because Mr. Selby and Mr. Andrews, both black, were convicted by an all-white jury. They cited a note passed to a juror that read, "Hang the niggers." The judge denied a mistrial.

Mr. Andrews was the 179th person to be put to death in the nation since the Supreme Court ruled in 1976 that states could resume using capital punishment.

By a 7-to-2 vote on Tuesday, the Supreme Court rejected Mr. Andrews's claim that a state law passed last year giving jurors the option of imposing sentences of life without parole in capital cases should be retroactively applied.

Another round of appeals in state and Federal court ended early today with another 7-to-2 ruling against him from the High Court. Mr. Andrews had argued that his sentence should be changed to life in prison without parole.

http://www.nytimes.com/1992/07/31/us...xecuted&st=nyt

Thread Information