Thread: William Mitchell - Georgia Execution - September 2, 1987

William Mitchell - Georgia Execution - September 2, 1987

Summary of Offense: Convicted of murdering a 14-year-old boy and wounding the boy's mother in a holdup at a grocery store

Victim: Christopher Carr

Time of Death: 7:21 p.m.

Manner of execution: Electric Chair

Last Meal:

Final Statement:

September 2, 1987

Robber Who Killed 14-Year-Old Dies in Electric Chair in Georgia

JACKSON, Ga., Sept. 1 — William Mitchell, convicted of murdering a 14-year-old boy and wounding the boy's mother in a holdup at a grocery store, was executed today in Georgia's electric chair.

Mr. Mitchell, 35 years old, was the fourth person executed in the state this year and the 11th since Georgia resumed executions in 1983. Nationwide, 90 people have been executed since the 1976 United States Supreme Court ruling that cleared the way for states to reinstate the death penalty.

Mr. Mitchell was pronounced dead at 7:21 P.M., a Department of Corrections spokesman, John Siler, said.

The defendant's lawyers had appealed to the Supreme Court after being turned down Monday by the United States Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit, but the High Court voted 5 to 3 to deny a stay. State Officials Adamant

The Georgia Board of Pardons and Paroles also upheld the death sentence today, even though Mr. Mitchell's lawyers asked the board in a letter not to consider the case.

The letter expressed Mr. Mitchell's regret for the pain suffered by the family of the victim. It also noted that the board had denied clemency to other condemned men who had been model prisoners.

''Simply put, he believes very strongly that clemency as an alternative to execution does not exist in Georgia,'' the letter said.

Mr. Mitchell pleaded guilty to killing Christopher Carr during the holdup at the grocery store where the boy's mother worked.

''I won't be satisfied until I get revenge,'' the boy's mother, Peggy Carr, said in a 1985 interview. She was shot four times during the robbery, which netted Mr. Mitchell about $160.

The Supreme Court upheld Mr. Mitchell's sentence in June after ruling on April 22 in another case that Georgia's death penalty does not discriminate on the basis of race.

Mr. Mitchell also was sentenced to life in prison for killing a 50-year-old man the day before the grocery store robbery.

http://www.nytimes.com/1987/09/02/us...n-georgia.html

According to his clemency petition, Mitchell was one of 11 death row inmates who regularly raped Virgil Presnell on death row throughout the late 1970s to late 1980s. The other named ones include Jack Potts (died 2005), Roger Collins (commuted) and David Peek (?)
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Thread Information