Thread: Arthur Gary Bishop - Utah Execution - June 10, 1988

Arthur Gary Bishop - Utah Execution - June 10, 1988

Alonzo Daniels, 4, Kim Peterson, 11, Danny Davis, 4, Troy Ward, 6, and Graeme Cunningham, 13

Summary of Offense: Convicted in 1984 of five murders in Salt Lake County from 1979 to 1983. Those slain were Alonzo Daniels, 4; Kim Peterson, 11; Danny Davis, 4; Troy Ward, 6, and Graeme Cunningham, 13.

Victims: Danny Davis and Alonzo Daniels

Time of Death: 12:16 a.m.

Manner of execution: Lethal Injection

Last Meal:

Final Statement: “I want to offer again my most profound and heartfelt apologies to my victims’ families. I am truly sorry. I have tried my best to empathize with their grief and devastation and I hope they come to know of my concerns and prayers for them.”

June 11, 1988

Slayer of Five Boys Is Executed in Utah By Injection of Drugs

POINT OF THE MOUNTAIN, Utah, June 10 — A former Eagle Scout who sought his own execution for the sex-related murders of five boys was put to death today by injection.

Arthur Gary Bishop, a 36-year-old former bookkeeper, was pronounced dead at the Utah State Prison at 12:16 A.M., said a spokesman for the Department of Corrections.

Jerry Cook, the prison warden, said the last words Mr. Bishop spoke were, ''Give my apologies to the families of the victims.''

Three drugs in succession - the muscle relaxant sodium pentothal, Pavulon and potassium chloride - were fed intravenously into Mr. Bishop's right arm. Mr. Bishop, strapped to a gurney, appeared to stop breathing a minute after the injection began at 12:09 A.M.

Mr. Bishop, who strangled, shot or bludgeoned and drowned his victims, told the police he attained sexual pleasure out of seeing their bodies naked afterward. The convict, a former Mormon missionary who was excommunicated by the churach, said he relived his first murder by buying and killing as many as 20 puppies.

Mr. Bishop was convicted in 1984 of five murders in Salt Lake County from 1979 to 1983. Those slain were Alonzo Daniels, 4; Kim Peterson, 11; Danny Davis, 4; Troy Ward, 6, and Graeme Cunningham, 13.

Mr. Bishop was the 99th person to be executed in this country and the third in Utah since a 1976 United States Supreme Court ruling ended a nationwide moratorium on capital punishment. The first to die was Gary Gilmore, a convicted murderer who was executed by a firing squad at the same prison in 1977. Killer Stopped Appeals

Mr. Bishop decided earlier this year to shun further appeals and be executed, an act of contrition that he said he hoped would bring peace to his victims' families.

''With great sadness and remorse, I realize that I allowed myself to be misled by Satan, and as a result, my life has been marked by wicked, perverse and depraved actions,'' he wrote in a final statement released after his execution.

''At this time I want to offer again my most profound and heartfelt apologies to my victims' families. I am truly sorry.''

Heber Geurts, a Mormon bishop who is a volunteer chaplain at the prison, said Mr. Bishop was calm and cool and was ''the most sorrowful and repentent and remorseful man'' of the thousands of inmates he had seen in 33 years.

About 30 people held a candlelight vigil outside the prison before Mr. Bishop's execution in protest of the death penalty.

http://www.nytimes.com/1988/06/11/us...xecuted&st=nyt

Thread Information