Thread: Jeffrey Joseph Daugherty - Florida Execution - November 7, 1988

Jeffrey Joseph Daugherty - Florida Execution - November 7, 1988

Summary of Offense: Convicted for the 1976 murders of four women

Victims: Lavonne Sailer, Betty Campbell, Carmen Abrams and Elizabeth Shanks

Time of Death: Just after 5 p.m.

Manner of execution: Electric Chair

Last Meal: Refused his last meal about 3 p.m.

Final Statement: ''I hope with all my heart I will be the last sacrificial lamb of a system that is not just, and all these people know it is not just, Let's hope there are not many more that have to be sacrificed. The executions serve no purpose.''

November 8, 1988

Florida Executes Killer of 4 Women

STARKE, Fla., Nov. 7 — A man convicted of killing four women died in Florida's electric chair today minutes after the United States Supreme Court refused to hear his appeal.

Jeffrey Joseph Daugherty, 33 years old, was the 19th person executed at Florida State Prison here and the 103d put to death in the nation since the Supreme Court reinstated the death penalty in 1976. Only one state, Texas, has had more executions than Florida.

''I hope with all my heart I will be the last sacrificial lamb of a system that is not just, and all these people know it is not just,'' Mr. Daugherty said in a six-minute statement before his execution. ''Let's hope there are not many more that have to be sacrificed. The executions serve no purpose.'' Protesters Gather Outside

A few protesters opposing capital punishment, including the actress Margot Kidder, as well some supporting executions, stood outside the prison as Mr. Daugherty died just after 5 P.M.

Just before a lower court stay ran out at 5 P.M., the Supreme Court voted 5 to 4 to turn down a request aimed at sparing the life of Mr. Daugherty, who prosecutors said committed four murders in three weeks while he, his girlfriend and his uncle traveled from Michigan to Florida.

Justices William J. Brennan, Thurgood Marshall, Harry A. Blackmun and John Paul Stevens voted to spare Mr. Daugherty.

Mr. Daugherty was first scheduled to die in October 1987, but was granted a stay by the United States Circuit Court of Appeals for the 11th District, in Atlanta. The appeals court later rejected his arguments, as did the Supreme Court.

Last month Gov. Bob Martinez signed a second death warrant and Mr. Daugherty's lawyers argued his jury had been impropertly instructed.

Mr. Daugherty refused his last meal about 3 P.M., before having his right leg and head shaved to make better contact with the metal bands that conduct the current.

Earlier in the day, Mr. Daugherty received a surprise visit from his father, also named Jeffrey Daugherty, who arrived from Michigan.

He also had a visit from his former wife and their two children, said Bob Macmaster, a spokesman for the Department of Corrections. The Rev. Bob Baker, a Catholic priest from Augustine, celebrated Mass for Mr. Daugherty, said Mr. Macmaster. Condemned for 1976 Killing

Mr. Daugherty was condemned for the March 1, 1976, killing of a hitchhiker, Lavonne Patricia Sailer. He shot her five times at close range after stealing her clothes, her watch and $12 hidden in a shoe.

He was under three life sentences for the 1976 slayings of Betty Campbell, part owner of Betty's Pizzeria in Edgewater; Carmen Abrams, an employee of a small grocery in Hammock, and Elizabeth Shanks, a convenience store clerk in Hollidaysburg, Pa.

All three Florida killings were committed within a week, soon after Mr. Daugherty and his girlfriend, Bonnie Jean Heath, left Michigan.

In exchange for her testimony, Ms. Heath was allowed to plead guilty to a reduced charge of second-degree murder in the killing of Ms. Campbell and drew a 25-year sentence.

The last inmate to die in Florida's electric chair was Willie Jasper Darden, who died March 15 for the 1973 slaying of a Lakeland store owner.

http://www.nytimes.com/1988/11/08/us...xecuted&st=nyt

Thread Information