Thread: Jesse Joseph Tafero - Florida Execution - May 4, 1990

Jesse Joseph Tafero - Florida Execution - May 4, 1990

Florida Highway Patrol Trooper Phillip Black and
    Ontario Provincial Police Constable Donald Irwin

Summary of Offense: Convicted for the 1976 murders of Florida Highway Patrol officer Phillip Black and Donald Irwin, a visiting Canadian constable and friend of Black.

Victims: Phillip Black and Donald Irwin

Time of Death:

Manner of execution: Electric Chair

Last Meal: Steak, broccoli and hot Lipton tea

Final Statement:

Crime History: Fla. electric chair fails

On this day, May 4, in 1990, Jesse Tafero was executed in Florida after his electric chair malfunctioned, causing flames to leap from his head. Tafero's death sparked a debate on humane methods of execution.

Serial offender Tafero was sent to "Old Sparky" for killing two policemen. However, the machine malfunctioned, causing six-inch smoke and flames to spew from Tafero's head. A member of the execution team wrongly had used a synthetic sponge rather than a sea sponge. It took 13 minutes and 30 seconds and three pulls of the switch to kill Tafero.

Tafero became a cause celebre for people who opposed the death penalty. Several states ceased use of the electric chair and adopted lethal injection as their means of capital punishment.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/local/...#ixzz1LNy2206Y

pro pro
    Is that picture really him. He looks absolutely terrible for 42.

That is not Jesse Tafero. I believe that is William Kelley.

Are you sure about that Dave?

"I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Yes. The small picture to the right is Tafero. The larger picture is Kelley. Those murders occured in my county when I was in high school. Two completely different events.

Thanks Dave!
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Senior Member CnCP Addict Richard86's Avatar
    That's interesting Dave. I've frequently seen the older looking picture as having been captioned at Jesse Tafero, but I've seen the younger looking photo captioned as him as well and hadn't realised they didn't quite reconcile until now. But having seen the photo of William Haorld Kelley, I have to say it's definitely Kelley, the neck in particular is quite distinctive. And there's the obvious ageing.

Did the Gainsville Sun report accidentally include that photo, or was it part of another story and was subsequently accidentally taken to be a photo of Tafero? Interesting.

I don't recall ever seeing this but you can see there are 2 different articles. Tafero would be 69 or so if he was still pursuing appeals on death row. His botched execution was because of pure stupidity and was one of many mishaps that resulted in the electric chair being removed in favor of lethal injection.

Senior Member Frequent Poster joe_con's Avatar
    According to the execution list from Florida DOC Jesse Tafero was born October 12, 1946.

http://www.dc.state.fl.us/oth/deathrow/execlist.html

Thread Information