Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Lisa Marie Montgomery - Federal Execution - January 13, 2021

Lisa Marie Montgomery - Federal Execution - January 13, 2021

Bobbi Jo Stinnett

Victoria Jo Stinnett

Lisa Marie Montgomery

Summary of Offense:

On October 26, 2007, a jury in Kansas City, Missouri recommended a death sentence for Montgomery following her conviction for kidnapping and killing Bobbie Jo Stinnett, also white, and stealing her unborn baby. Montgomery took the baby with her to Kansas and claimed the baby was her child. Montgomery was formally sentenced to death on April 4, 2008 in U.S. District Court.

Lisa Montgomery’s conviction upheld

A federal appeals court panel today upheld Lisa Montgomery’s conviction in the 2004 slaying of Bobbie Jo Stinnett of Skidmore, Mo., and the kidnapping of Stinnett’s unborn child.

A jury subsequently sentenced Montgomery, 43, to death. She is incarcerated at a medical center for women inmates in Fort Worth, Texas.

The killing and the intense search for the baby sparked a global media sensation. Investigators recovered the child, Victoria Jo Stinnett, the day after the killing, taking her from Montgomery’s arms at her Melvern, Kan., home.

At her trial in October 2007, Montgomery’s lawyers largely conceded that she had killed Stinnett, but they argued that a mental disorder left her incapable of understanding that what she had done was wrong.

The appeals court found, however, that Montgomery had been properly charged with kidnapping resulting in death, and ruled that the trial judge had properly excluded defense scientific evidence because it was either not reliable or irrelevant.

Montgomery’s lawyer, Frederick A. Duchardt Jr., said he intends to appeal the panel’s ruling to the U.S. Supreme Court.

“We’re saddened by the court’s decision and disagree with the legal conclusions they’ve reached,” Duchardt said.

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/04/05...on-upheld.html

On March 19, 2012, the US Supreme Court DENIED Montgomery's certiorari petition.

http://www.supremecourt.gov/Search.a...es/11-7377.htm

Letsdoit
    I am appalled at her defense attorney. She was in her right mind when she clearly staged a phony visit to see Bobby Jo animals and beat that woman senselessly, strangled her and maliciously cut an unborn child right from the very depths of the newly mother's wound!!! Just because she couldn't have any more children! I can't wait until her death rolls in. She will lay where dogs like her lay! If I was a lawyer I wouldn't of taken het case. I don't care about the state paying me as her P.D I wouldnt succumb to such a wicked, cruel, evil , treacherous woman of her kind anyday. It's a dirty job. I'm aware even the suspects need representation but I would have declined her in a New York hot minute!

On July 22, 2014, Montgomery filed an appeal before the US Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit--perhaps over the denial of a habeas petition in Federal District Court.

https://dockets.justia.com/docket/ci...ts/ca8/14-2725

Senior Member CnCP Legend CharlesMartel's Avatar
    Lawsuit: Topeka inmate says he can’t mail letters to sister on death row

By Tim Hrenchir
    The Topeka Capital-Journal

Woman awaits execution after cutting baby from mother’s stomach

Shawnee County Jail inmate Tommy Lee Kleiner contends the county is violating his Constitutional rights by preventing him from sending letters to his sister, Lisa Montgomery, who is awaiting execution after she fatally strangled a woman and cut her unborn baby from her stomach in 2004 in Skidmore, Mo.

“My sister is on death row,” Kleiner wrote in the petition for a federal lawsuit he filed June 20. “So my letters are important.”

Montgomery, 50, is an inmate at Carswell Federal Medical Center at Fort Worth, Texas, where a date has not been set for her execution by lethal injection. She was convicted in 2007 of kidnapping resulting in death in the 2004 killing of Bobbie Jo Stinnett, 23, who was eight months pregnant at the time.

Prosecutors presented evidence during her trial that Montgomery, who lived at the time at Melvern in Osage County, strangled Stinnett with a rope at her home in northwest Missouri, then used a kitchen knife to cut her unborn daughter from the womb. Montgomery was arrested at her home one day later, after showing off Stinnett’s baby as her own. That child survived.

Kleiner, 40, acted as his own attorney in filing last month’s lawsuit, which names as defendants the Shawnee County Department of Corrections, county Corrections Director Brian Cole and the City of Topeka.

Kleiner’s handwritten petition asks for $500,000 or “what’s reasonable,” adding that he wants the defendants to be held accountable for violating his rights and causing him suffering, stress and pain.

Kleiner mailed a copy of his lawsuit petition to a reporter at The Capital-Journal.

Jail records indicated Kleiner was being held Monday on outstanding Shawnee County warrants charging him with crimes that include burglary, aggravated burglary, theft, criminal damage to property, fleeing and eluding, possession of stolen property, reckless driving and interference with a law enforcement officer.

County counselor Jim Crowl said Monday that Kleiner, who was also awaiting transport to the Kansas Department of Corrections to serve prison time, had acted as his own attorney in filing five suits against the county since being booked into the jail on March 8, 2017. Those include the suit filed June 20.

“Shawnee County has and/or will deny Mr. Kleiner’s allegations in all of these lawsuits and will vigorously defend the taxpayers of this county against all of them,” Crowl said. “Shawnee County specifically denies that it has violated Mr. Kleiner’s Constitutional rights.”

http://www.cjonline.com/news/2018070...r-on-death-row
    In the Shadow of Your Wings
    1 A Prayer of David. Hear a just cause, O Lord; attend to my cry! Give ear to my prayer from lips free of deceit!

Montgomery’s deadline to file her final appeal is March 16, 2020.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/search....c/19-5921.html
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Senior Member CnCP Addict maybeacomedian's Avatar
    It's utterly amazing that Bobbi Jo's baby survived this crime. I hope she is doing well.

Distributed for conference May 21, 2020.

Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Senior Member Frequent Poster NanduDas's Avatar
    In today's orders, the United States Supreme Court declined to review Montgomery’s petition for certiorari.

Lower Ct: United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
    Case Numbers: (17-1716)
    Decision Date: January 25, 2019
    Rehearing Denied: April 10, 2019

"The pacifist is as surely a traitor to his country and to humanity as is the most brutal wrongdoer." -Theodore Roosevelt

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information