Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Lisa Marie Montgomery - Federal Execution - January 13, 2021

Shep I still think Barr will clear out the backlog on Terre Haute by the end of this year.

Junior Member Stranger
    Skidmore Missouri has a sorted history. Lisa Montgomery visited Bobbie Jo who lived in Skidmore Mo. Montgomery killed Bobbie Jo and cut her baby from Bobbie Jo's womb. Montgomery deserves a good killing for her crime. I was a contractor for St. Joseph Light and Power working at the Electrical Sub station in Skidmore back in 1980's. Ken McElroy was the town bully and he was shot while sitting in his pickup with his wife on July 10, 1981. I live about 60 miles South of Skidmore so I remember both cases very well. No one was ever charged with the killing of McElroy and the whole town remains silent as to who pulled the much needed trigger on him. He was a true scumbag. That was 40 years ago. Time flies, I've been retired 22 two years.

Execution date rekindles memories in Skidmore

By Greg Kozol
    News-Press NOW

Rows of headstones give way to fields of corn at the small, windswept cemetery where Bobbie Jo Stinnett is laid to rest. It’s possible to feel a sense of peace here that contradicts what happened nearly 16 years ago just a mile or so north, in Skidmore, Missouri.

On Dec. 16, 2004, Stinnett was eight months pregnant when she met with a woman, who went by the name of Darlene Fischer, about a litter of rat terrier puppies. The two women played with the puppies outside of Stinnett’s house in Skidmore, but the visitor carried a kitchen knife and a white cord inside her jacket. A few hours later, the woman was gone, the baby was gone and Stinnett’s mother walked into a scene of sheer horror.

“This is one of the cases that you’ll never forget,” said Nodaway County Sheriff Randy Strong, who worked the case as a Maryville Public Safety investigator. “I’m constantly reminded of it.”

Another reminder came Oct. 16 when Lisa Montgomery — the woman who called herself Darlene Fischer on that day — was given a Dec. 8 execution date for the death of Stinnett and the kidnapping of the baby she cut from the 23-year-old mother’s abdomen.

It will mark the first federal execution of a woman since Bonnie Heady in 1953, another case that featured a Northwest Missouri connection. Heady and Carl Hall where executed for the kidnapping and murder of Bobby Greenlease, a 6-year-old boy whose body was buried in St. Joseph.

Strong, who was part of a massive law enforcement response after Stinnett’s body was discovered, helped locate Montgomery and the baby in Melvern, Kansas. Years after he helped extract a confession, he plans to witness the execution at the federal penitentiary in Terre Haute, Indiana.

“It’s a finality for me,” he said, “something I want to see through to the end.”

The case brings not just finality. It also stirs up painful memories for those involved, as well as the wider community of Skidmore. The small Nodaway County town become the subject of news stories and documentaries about the 2004 murder/kidnapping as well as two unsolved cases: the shooting death of town bully Ken Rex McElroy in 1981 and the disappearance of 20-year-old Branson Perry in 2001.

“Of course it weighs on the people in Skidmore,” said Sandy Wright, the town’s mayor. “I think Skidmore has gotten a bad rap for some of the things that have happened here. Sometimes bad things happen in good places.”

Last week, even U.K. newspapers contained stories on the scheduled execution and recounted details of the crime. When Montgomery’s death sentence was appealed, federal court documents described the case this way: “Defendant incapacitated a pregnant woman so that she could extract the fetus and kidnap the baby.”

That doesn’t reflect all that happened. Those same court documents reveal that Montgomery strangled Stinnett until she passed out, but the young mother may have regained consciousness as Montgomery began to cut her. A struggle ensued, forcing Montgomery to use the cord a second time to kill Stinnett and then remove the fetus.

“We all dealt with terrible cases before,” said Don Fritz, a retired Cameron police officer who worked with Strong on the investigation. “But this one was just kind of extreme.”

The day after the murder, Strong remembers driving up to the house in Melvern and noticing rat terriers running around his feet as he prepared to enter. During her initial interrogation, Montgomery denied everything to Fritz and Strong. Fritz recalls pulling his chair up, patting Montgomery’s hand and telling her, “We’ve got to have the truth.” Then he looked down.

“I saw what I believed to be blood under her fingernails,” he said. “She dropped her head and said, ‘You’ve got the correct one. You’ve got the right baby.’”

During the penalty phase of the trial, a prosecutor asked Montgomery’s oldest daughter whether she had ever apologized. Montgomery replied that she did not remember committing the crime, according to court documents.

Strong has never wavered in his belief that the murder and kidnapping were meticulously planned. Montgomery brought a hospital-grade clamp for the umbilical cord. Gas station records indicate she conducted a dry run before the day of the attack. Court documents show that she was unable to get pregnant because of a medical procedure but may have wanted to fake it because of a custody dispute.

“It was one of the most well-planned murders I’ve ever seen,” Strong said.

The only source of joy is that Victoria Jo, the baby, was saved and reunited with her father. In those frenzied hours after the grisly discovery, investigators weren’t just trying to solve a murder. Strong remembers thinking how he had to get that baby out of Montgomery’s arms as soon as possible when he first saw them.

“You’ve got to get to the bottom of it,” Fritz told Strong on the drive to the house in Melvern. “You’ve got to recover the child.”

Today, that girl is old enough for high school and still lives in Nodaway County, surrounded by a family that values its privacy. Strong said he doesn’t know if it’s possible to have closure, for the family, for law enforcement and for the community at large.

“I think people want to see it over and move on,” he said. “I think that’s a stigma that floats over Skidmore. The people there still don’t like to talk about it.”

Wright said Skidmore is trying to move forward. “I don’t like dwelling on things that have happened in the past,” she said. “We’ve got a good town here.”

https://www.newspressnow.com/news/lo...27cc47425.html
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Lisa Montgomery: Over 1,000 supporters ask Trump to commute death sentence of mentally ill victim of trafficking

More than a thousand supporters of a federal death-row convict, Lisa Montgomery, called on President Donald Trump on Wednesday, November 11, to commute her death sentence citing that she is mentally ill, and a victim of trafficking and sexual abuse. Montgomery, who is currently incarcerated on death row, is scheduled to be executed by lethal injection on December 8, 2020, at the United States Penitentiary, Terre Haute. She will be the first federal female inmate to be executed by the US federal government in 67 years, and is one of the 55 women in the US on death row.

Montgomery was sentenced to death after she strangled a 23-year-old pregnant woman, Bobbie Jo Stinnett, in Skidmore, Missouri, cut open her womb, and stole her infant on December 16, 2004. Stinnett succumbed to her injuries. Authorities later discovered Montgomery, 36 at the time, at her home cradling the baby and watching an Amber alert on television issued for the child. She was convicted of murder in 2007.

In a letter addressed to President Trump, current and former prosecutors, anti-violence advocates, anti-trafficking organizations, advocates for abused and neglected children, and mental health advocates, said that executing Mongomery would be unconscionable, citing her troubled past. The letter noted that Montgomery was a woman with severe mental illness who suffered relentless physical, emotional, and sexual abuse including being trafficked by her own mother.

Montgomery suffered sexual abuse as a child when her stepfather repeatedly raped her and allowed his friends to gang-rape her. She was also trafficked by her mother to adult men for sex in her early teens. In an effort to escape the abuse, she married early at that age of 18, however, that marriage also reportedly ended with abuse.

"Lisa’s experiences as a victim of horrific sexual violence, physical abuse, and being trafficked as a child do not excuse her crime," a group of 41 current and former prosecutors wrote in a letter. “But her history provides us with an important explanation that would influence any sentencing recommendation we made as prosecutors.” The prosecutors, in the letter, stressed that Lisa’s history “is not an ‘abuse excuse’ as the jury was told at her trial," and that evidence of a defendant’s childhood trauma is “critically relevant to determining the appropriate punishment for a serious crime.”

Two former prosecutors, who prosecuted similar cases involving attacks on pregnant women, in a separate letter, agreed, writing: "These crimes are inevitably the product of serious mental illness. Women who commit such crimes also are likely to have been victimized themselves. These are important factors that make death sentences inappropriate." The call for clemency by the prosecutors was also supported by hundreds of organizations that advocate for women, children, and people with mental illness.

A group of more than 800 organizations and individuals working to combat violence against women stress that Montgomery was “consistently failed by people and systems that should have helped her,” and that she “became severely mentally ill by the time she committed her crime." The organizations stated: “Lisa developed a dissociative disorder and complex post-traumatic stress disorder as a result of the repeated anal, oral, and vaginal rapes she suffered by the men to whom her mother trafficked her," and although Lisa told people about her abuse, they “failed to investigate or report.”

https://meaww.com/lisa-montgomery-10...of-trafficking
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Senior Member Frequent Poster Shep3's Avatar
    Wasting their breath

Junior Member Stranger
    I didn't read any where in the above post these fringe element groups or individuals mentioned what Bobbie Jo went through while this monstrous act was being perpetrated against her. The suffering Bobbie Jos' loved ones have been going through all these years. Making up excuses for evil people doing evil deeds is a fools journey.

Senior Member Frequent Poster NanduDas's Avatar
    Two of Montgomery’s attorneys have caught COVID-19 and are now requesting an injunction.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EPs...w?usp=drivesdk
    "The pacifist is as surely a traitor to his country and to humanity as is the most brutal wrongdoer." -Theodore Roosevelt

On November 12, 2020, Montgomery filed a habeas petition in Federal District Court, claiming her death sentence is a violation of the 5th and 8th Amendments.

https://dockets.justia.com/docket/di...cv03261/224017
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Senior Member Frequent Poster Shep3's Avatar
    Normally I’d be worried but with the 6-3 majority and alito going full Rambo yesterday I doubt this will be held up

The way Alito talked about the coronavirus restrictions is that he saw it as an infringement of our rights and he was right. We’re almost a year into these lockdowns and they still want to keep them going. We have him and Thomas as reliable votes to knockdown these lockdowns. Gorsuch is Trumps more conservative pick. He’d more than likely knockdown these lockdowns. As for Montgomery, I’m glad she’ll be gone very soon. She’s definitely one of the most vile death row inmates out there.
    Last edited by Neil; 11-14-2020 at 12:52 AM.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information