Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chadrick Evan Fulks - Federal Death Row

Chadrick Evan Fulks - Federal Death Row

Alice Donovan

Chadrick Evan Fulks

Summary of Offense:

In 2004, a jury recommended a death sentence for the November 14, 2002 kidnapping and murder of a 44-year-old South Carolina woman, Alice Donovan, following Fulks' escape from a Kentucky jail. Fulks' co-defendant, Brandon Basham, was tried in September 2004 for crimes committed during the escape. Fulks' is the first federal death conviction in South Carolina. On November 2, 2004, a jury recommended a death sentence for Basham for the murder.

For more on Basham: http://www.cncpunishment.com/forums/...ghlight=basham

September 12, 2008

Federal death row inmate asks for execution

A man who admitted kidnapping and murdering a South Carolina woman and a Marshall University student has asked that all appeals be dropped and his execution date be set.

Documents filed Tuesday mark the 2nd time Chadrick Fulks has made the request. The West Hamlin, West Virginia, native told federal prosecutors in 2006 he was suffering from depression and didn't wish to live, but later withdrew the request.

Fulks and co-defendant Brandon Basham both received death sentences in South Carolina for the murder of Alice Donovan.

Both men were also given life sentences in a West Virginia case for the death of Marshall student Samantha Burns.

Fulks and Basham escaped from a Kentucky jail before their multistate crime spree in late 2002. Both are now in prison in Indiana.

(Source: The Associated Press)

January 27, 2009

Death row inmate guided searchers to woman's remains

When Monica Caison, founder of the CUE Center for Missing Persons, received a package from an inmate on death row earlier this month, she knew right away she had to start looking.

After years of chasing down false leads, Caison said she recognized the letter from Chadrick Evan Fulks as the real thing.

The package contained photos, highlighted maps and Fulks' own words, which convinced Caison the body of Alice Donovan – a 44-year-old South Carolina mother who disappeared more than 6 years ago – could be found.

This week authorities announced that searchers found human bones in a patch of woods in Longs, S.C. The search effort, which is a collaboration between CUE volunteers, police and the FBI, resumed on Tuesday and additional bones were found, Caison said. The recovery effort will continue Wednesday.

Although a man facing execution in connection with Donovan's death led Caison to the site, DNA test results are needed to confirm whose remains have been found.

Fulks is one of two men who escaped from a Kentucky jail in 2002 and went on a crime spree, which authorities suspect claimed the lives of Donovan of Galivants Ferry and 19-year-old Samantha Burns of West Virginia, according to published reports.

Although Fulks and Brandon Leon Basham were convicted in connection with the women's deaths, the bodies were never found.

Donovan disappeared on Nov. 14, 2002, from a parking lot in Conway, S.C. Soon after, hundreds of volunteers searched for Donovan in Brunswick County, Caison said. At first, they hoped to find her alive, but efforts to locate Donovan’s remains continued sporadically over the years. In November, Donovan's daughters invited Caison to a memorial for Donovan and gave Caison a letter from Fulks.

Caison followed up with a note to Fulks and received more information, which she says led her to the woods off Watertower Road in Horry County.

"It was in his wording, that’s what helped get me there," she said. "Go deep and get cut, go into the thicket and that's where you'll find her."

(Source: StarNewsOnline)

March 25, 2009

Chad Fulks Retracts Execution Request

A man sentenced to death for the kidnapping and murder of Marshall University Student Samantha Burns, and a South Carolina woman has again withdrawn a plea to drop his appeals and be executed.

On Monday a federal judge approved Chad Fulks request to reinstate his right to appeal.
    Fulks also said in 2006 he didn't want to live, but later withdrew that request.

Fulks and Brandon Basham were convicted of kidnapping and murdering Burns and Alice Donovan back in 2002. Neither body has been found.

Both men are currently on death row at Federal Prison in Indiana.

Fulks recently directed a private search group to remains that are believed to be Donovan’s. DNA tests on those remains are pending.

Fulks is also trying to help searchers find Burns' body. That same group spent several days in Wayne County earlier his month conducting a similar search. The group hopes to return in the near future, but no date has been set.

Last month, Fulks lost a lawsuit claiming he was severely beaten while in a South Carolina jail.

Source

August 12, 2009

COLUMBIA, S.C. -- Death row inmate Chadrick Fulks insists he wants to help a slain Marshall University student's family find solace by leading investigators to her body.

It wouldn't be the first time he's made that claim. State and federal authorities spent six years on wild goose chases prompted by tips from Fulks before one of his clues actually led searchers to another victim of his 2,300-mile crime spree in 2002.

"I will fight until my last breath to make sure that Samantha is recovered as well," Fulks, 32, wrote in a recent letter to The Associated Press from the federal death row in Terre Haute, Ind. He was referring to 19-year-old Samantha Burns, a native of West Hamlin, W.Va., who was last seen in November 2002 at the Huntington Mall.

The same volunteer who successfully unearthed one of Fulks' victims says she's not so sure the condemned man really wants anyone to find Burns. Nevertheless, she says she will try again.

The volunteer, Monica Caison, is the founder of Community United Effort -- Center for Missing Persons. She led the team that found the remains of Alice Donovan, a 44-year-old South Carolina woman, earlier this year, but is frustrated by the search for Burns.

"I've found people missing for 15 years or more, more easily than this," said Caison, whose recent searches of 12 miles of rural, wooded land from Kenova to Lavalette based on tips from Fulks have turned up nothing. "I try not to let my frustration show. ... Everybody expects to get out there and find her and have the same success that we had with Alice."

Caison says she's taken the last few months to regroup, going back over the maps and letters she's received from Fulks -- and telling Burns' family it's not time to give up. Next month, she will return to the same search area with dogs, excavation machinery and dozens of people from the nation's top search teams.

"If we don't find her after I bring this crew in ... then Chad Fulks is a liar, because I will believe the dogs," Caison said. "If she's there, we're going to find her."

Fulks, who says his own brother recently committed suicide in jail and was buried the same day Donovan's remains were identified, wrote to the AP that he now understands the anguish felt by both victims' families.

"Seeing his pain made me constantly think about Alice and Samanthas familys pain and it has drove me to not give up until they both were found," he wrote.

After Fulks sent her a map and photos earlier this year, claiming they were Donovan's final resting place, Caison drove directly from Wilmington, N.C., to South Carolina, where in January she found bones in thick brush near the North Carolina line. Last month, DNA tests confirmed the remains belonged to Donovan, information that left Fulks feeling somewhat vindicated.

"I'm thankful that her family can now have a proper burial for her," Fulks wrote, "and I can only pray that in some way this will help them to begin to heal."

Fulks and co-defendant Brandon Basham await execution after being convicted of killing Burns and Donovan during the 17-day crime spree that started after they escaped from a Kentucky jail in November 2002.

Fulks and Basham were convicted of carjackings that led to the death of both victims. They received the death penalty in Donovan's case. Both men await execution.

When last seen at the Huntington Mall, Burns had made a payment on her J.C. Penney credit card. Her abductors used her ATM card at various locations. Police found Burns' burned-out Chevrolet Cavalier near Haney's Branch Road in rural Wayne County.

For 16 days in March, Caison's team logged hundreds of hours combing the earth for Burns' remains. Cadaver dogs picked up scents. Searchers crawled on hands and knees, hoping to uncover some clue that would verify Fulks' information.

But in the more than six years since Burns' death, the area's terrain has changed, making it difficult to rely on Fulks' maps and memories. As time stretched on, Caison says, she began to doubt his veracity.

"I feel like there is something, that one thing you could tell me, and you know I'd be right on top of her, and you're holding it back," she told Fulks during a telephone conversation from the search site. "I said, I'm not effective here, right now. ... It just shouldn't be this hard. If she's here, these dogs will find her."

Fulks' attorneys have filed documents asking a judge to grant their client a new trial. But from his spot on federal death row, he insists he's resigned himself to his fate and is focused on finding peace for his victims' families.

"I know no one believes me and I cant blame them," Fulks wrote. "All I want to do is help these familys have there loved ones back and I want to be clear about this. This has nothing to do with wanting to help myself. ... I'm in no way doing this to save my life but rather to help these familys find some kind of closure 'if' that is even possible."

Source

Chadrick Fulks ready to drop appeals

A man on federal death row for killing a Galivants Ferry woman says he wants to drop his appeals.

Chadrick Fulks says in a letter filed in federal court this week that he respects a federal judge's denial in August of his request for a new trial.

Fulks pleaded guilty and co-defendant Brandon Basham was convicted of kidnapping and killing 44-year-old Alice Donovan during a two-week crime spree after they escaped from a Hopkins County, Ky., jail in 2002.

Both men were sentenced to death by federal juries, and the U.S. Supreme Court has turned down their individual appeals.

Fulks and Basham also have pleaded guilty to killing a West Virginia woman, 19-year-old Marshall University student Samantha Burns, during their spree.

http://www.thesunnews.com/2011/02/12...-ready-to.html

After 9 Years, Remains of Area Woman Still Missing

After disappearing nine years ago, the body of a Marshall University student who went missing Nov. 11, 2002 has never been found.

Samantha Burns, 19, was last seen at the Huntington Mall, where she went to pick up her paycheck from J. C. Penney. Burns, a West Hamlin native, later called her mother from an area apartment complex to say she was coming home.

She never did.

After her disappearance, the West Virginia State Police found the car Burns was driving after it was set on fire in a remote part of Wayne County near the Cabell-Wayne county line.

Authorities later determined Burns had been murdered by two escaped convicts on a multi-state crime spree: Brandon Basham and Chadrick Fulks.

Basham and Fulks escaped from the Hopkins County Detention Center in Madisonville, Ky., on Nov. 4, 2002.

In 2004, both were convicted in the kidnapping and murder of Alice Donovan, 44, a mother of two who disappeared in South Carolina on Nov. 14, 2002.

Both men pleaded guilty to the kidnapping and murder of Burns – the first of their victims murdered – in 2005.

Today, Basham and Fulks are on death row at the U.S. Penitentiary in Terre Haute, Ind.

Fulks wrote a letter to the media in 2008 in which he stated crystal meth and crack cocaine contributed to his and Basham's 17-day crime spree, which also included kidnapping a Kentucky man and leaving him tied to a tree in southern Indiana.

Following information Fulks sent about their whereabouts, Donovan's remains were found and identified in 2009, but Burns' remain missing.

Also in 2009, a search was organized for Burns' body with the help of Community United Effort – the same organization who helped find Donovan's body in South Carolina. But after a week, the search was called off.

http://www.wowktv.com/story/16015313...till-not-found

On March 20, 2012, the US Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals will hear oral argument in Fulks' habeas appeal.

http://pacer.ca4.uscourts.gov/calendar/032012.htm

UNITED STATES OF AMERICA v CHADRICK EVAN FULKS

In today's Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals opinions, the court AFFIRMED the district court's DENIAL of Fulks' petition for certiorari.
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Va. Court affirms SC man's sentence

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) - A federal appeals court has affirmed a South Carolina death row inmate's murder conviction and sentence.

A three-judge panel of the 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals on Tuesday rejected claims by Chadrick Fulks that he was denied effective representation in court. Fulks also unsuccessfully challenged the prosecution's use of statements co-defendant Brandon Basham made to the Brunswick County sheriff.

Fulks pleaded guilty and Basham was convicted of kidnapping and killing 44-year-old Alice Donovan during a two-week crime spree after they escaped from a Hopkins County, Ky., jail in 2002. Federal juries sentenced both men to death.

Fulks and Basham also pleaded guilty to killing 19-year-old Marshall University student Samantha Burns in West Virginia during the crime spree.

http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/virgini...-mans-sentence
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information