Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Daniel Lewis Lee - Federal Execution - July 14, 2020

If that’s the case the irony on all of this stuff is hilarious.

Senior Member Frequent Poster schmutz's Avatar
    When the Nazis wanted a march in Skokie, not only did the ACLU take up their case they assigned two Jewish lawyers to plead on their behalf.

How much you guys bet these won’t happen next month? I’m going with a strong possibility of no. The Supreme Court declined their challenge to the lethal injection controversy however, they have other unresolved issues and I can’t shake the feeling that same DC circuit judge will side with them. I doubt the Supreme Court will overturn the stays this time too this should’ve been taken care of last year.
    Last edited by Neil; 06-29-2020 at 10:49 PM.

They already have litigation over issues pending with that same judge. I hope that this time SCOTUS is wise enough to recognize the dishonesty of the litigation and vacate any injunctions. We'll see.
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Senior Member CnCP Addict johncocacola's Avatar
    Since the federal government’s execution chamber is in Indiana, shouldn’t these lawsuits be filed in the Southern District of Indiana? Judge shopping I guess since the District Of Columbia has more Democrat appointees.

Senior Member Frequent Poster schmutz's Avatar
    Suits against federal departmental rule-making tend to be filed in the DC District and with previous litigation there it is now the court of record and the expected venue for future litigation.

Inmate's attorneys seek execution delay due to pandemic

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) - Attorneys for a federal inmate scheduled to be the first put to death in 17 years have asked a judge to delay his execution due to concerns about the coronavirus pandemic.

Attorneys for Daniel Lee, the first of four inmates set to be executed starting this month, asked a federal judge Thursday to delay his execution until spring 2021. Lee, convicted of killing an Arkansas family as part of a plot to establish a whites-only nation in the Pacific Northwest, is scheduled to be executed on July 13.

In their filing, Lee's attorneys said the pandemic is preventing them from fulfilling their responsibilities to their client without putting themselves at risk of contracting the virus as cases surge throughout the country.

"The government's insistence on pressing forward with his execution in the midst of this public health crisis is forcing counsel and others to assume grave, potentially fatal, health risks in order to be present at the execution or in the days leading up to it," the filing said.

A Zen Buddhist priest, who is a spiritual adviser to another inmate set to be executed two days after Lee, has argued in a separate lawsuit the government is putting him at risk for the virus by moving forward with executions during the pandemic.

https://www.kob.com/national-news/in...81085/?cat=600

Junior Member Stranger
    What are the chances that ANY of these upcoming Federal executions going through? Does Wardlow and Barton's state executions amid the virus give these executions a better chance to happen?

Family member of Daniel Lewis Lee’s victims files lawsuit to delay execution

HECTOR, Ark.- Daniel Lewis Lee is scheduled to be the first of four federal death row inmates to be executed next week.

He was convicted of killing a Pope County family of three in 1996.

Court records say the killings were part of a plot to establish a whites-only nation in the Pacific Northwest.

Lee’s scheduled execution could be delayed after his victims’ family filed a lawsuit this week hoping to push it.

Earlene Peterson, the mother of Nancy Mueller and grandmother of 8-year-old Sarah Powell, two of the three brutally murdered in 1996, says the coronavirus poses too much of a travel threat for her to leave her home in Hector to go to Indiana. Right now, Lee is set to be put to death Monday at the federal prison in Terre Haute, but the lawsuit filed Tuesday could change that. In it, Peterson’s attorney sites multiple health conditions of different family members that could be lethal if one of them contracts coronavirus while traveling to the execution.

Peterson just hopes the courts will listen.

“Think the judge is going to suspend this until after the pandemic,” Peterson says. “I’m hoping and praying for that. I spent a lot of time in my war room praying about it, and I feel pretty good about it.”

A decision on whether to move the execution could come as early as Thursday or as late as Monday morning, the day it is set to happen.

Until then, Peterson says she will remain in Hector and pray that her something good happens.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.kar...execution/amp/

Honestly, Trump should commute this one the family members don’t want it to happen anyway. The family members for other inmates that do want their executions to go through are not given ample air time.

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread Information