Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Daniel Lewis Lee - Federal Execution - July 14, 2020

Senior Member Frequent Poster Alfred's Avatar
    Will all appeals for the three scheduled executions pass through the 7th Circuit as the Federal Prison is located there? If so, they'll have a busy week.

The 7th Circuit finds that the demands of the family member(s) of the victims are frivolous, as there is no right to attend federal executions:

No federal statute or regulation gives them a right to attend Lee’s execution. Needless to say, executions are not public proceedings. The Federal Death Penalty Act makes no mention of witnesses, whether members of the victims’ family or others.

Senior Member CnCP Addict johncocacola's Avatar
    The seventh circuit will handle issues related to the bureau of prisons, APA issues in the dc circuit and any habeas appeals will take place in the circuit from where the prisoner was tried. In Lee’s case, that would be the 8th circuit.

Lee is from Arkansas, Purkey is Missouri and Honken is from Iowa. It's down to the each respective Circuit Court to determine each execution.
    "How do you get drunk on death row?" - Werner Herzog

"When we get fruit, we get the juice and water. I ferment for a week! It tastes like chalk, it's nasty" - Blaine Keith Milam #999558 Texas Death Row

This has had more drama than the Smith execution, and we haven't even gotten to the day of execution yet. I'm enjoying this show.
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

Junior Member Stranger
    I only come to this forum on occasion because it's a bit on the slow side. Every year I get a happy bday notification so it reminded me to come check it out.

Crazy because I remember when he was sentenced way back in 2002 and now he's being executed on my bday.

By this time you would expect a clemency petition heading for Trump. So far I haven't read anything about that.

Perhaps they will just not make use of that route, as Trump will deny it anyway. It would spare them one humiliating exercise - begging for mercy with the president they despise.

I doubt it's a coincidence that the first four federal executions that the Attorney General has decided to set since 2003 are of murderers (Lee, Purkey, Honken and Nelson) who fall under the Eighth Circuit's jurisdiction. Among ten active Eighth Circuit judges, there is exactly one Democratic appointee. Among seven senior judges, there are no Democratic appointees at all.

Judge blocks federal executions; administration will appeal

TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (AP) — A U.S. district judge on Monday ordered a new delay in federal executions, hours before the first lethal injection was scheduled to be carried out at a federal prison in Indiana. The administration is certain to ask a higher court to allow the executions to move forward.

U.S. District Judge Tanya Chutkan said there are still legal issues to resolve and that “the public is not served by short-circuiting legitimate judicial process.” The executions, pushed by the Trump administration, would be the first carried out at the federal level since 2003.

The new hold on executions came a day after a federal appeals court lifted a hold on the execution of Daniel Lewis Lee, of Yukon, Oklahoma, which is scheduled for 4 p.m. EDT on Monday at the federal prison in Terre Haute, Indiana. He was convicted in Arkansas of the 1996 killings of gun dealer William Mueller, his wife, Nancy, and her 8-year-old daughter, Sarah Powell.

https://apnews.com/38f5ad6c5f9bd91bd7abb84211f1e404

Chances this is overturned? Wagers anyone? Abuse of power nonetheless.

Senior Member Frequent Poster NanduDas's Avatar
    I would put the chances of this being overturned pretty high, but it will happen a good bit later tonight.
    "The pacifist is as surely a traitor to his country and to humanity as is the most brutal wrongdoer." -Theodore Roosevelt

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread Information