Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Wesley Ira Purkey - Federal Execution - July 16, 2020

It’s a temp stay, but if they stay it for realsies, he will appeal it to SCOTUS
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

You sure it’s a temp stay Bobsicles? That thing with Gutierrez was also a “temp stay.”

Gutierrez had a temp stay but then scotus stayed it for real after reviewing the case. Yes this is a temp stay. The Seventh Circuit is reviewing his case and if it’s actually stayed, Barr will appeal to scotus

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I would love to see Trump judges turn away from stare decisis.

As for temp stays, a temp stay is like what Woods got in Alabama this year. Gutierrez didn't get a temp stay. He was stayed pending disposition of certiorari. It's not the same thing. Next to Die used the term "temporary stay" erroneously when Gutierrez was stayed.
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Quote Originally Posted by Neil123 View Post
    You sure it’s a temp stay Bobsicles? That thing with Gutierrez was also a “temp stay.”
    That’s exactly why I put temp stay in quotations because of that ruling with Gutierrez. It wasn’t a temp stay and neither is this with senile old Purkey. It’s a stay and these anti death penalty sites like DPIC decided to use temp stay because of what happened with Gutierrez last month. These judges stayed it because they could they literally said he wasn’t going to succeed on the merits of the claim. Barr should appeal it to the Supreme Court perfect opportunity to do so.

This is in fact a temp stay

Here’s the order

https://cases.justia.com/federal/app...2020-07-02.pdf

Senior Member CnCP Addict johncocacola's Avatar
    An execution can proceed at the scheduled time if appeals are still pending unless a stay had been issued. In the case of Woods, Clarence Thomas entered a “temp” stay to actually put the execution on hold until the justices could rule on the appeal, only to lift it once they did.

In the case of Alfredo Prieto in Virginia, there were still appeals pending at the time of the execution but because no stay was in place he was executed at the set time only to make the appeals moot.

For the sake of simplicity, I would consider a “full” stay something that would allow the death warrant to lapse. The 7th circuit in this case appears to be taking the cautious approach in the event of that.

Let’s see we have a little over a week to go until the first execution day hits if Trump and Barr are successful to execute Lewis then we’ll see what happens with this senile rapist. I don’t believe this is a “temp stay.” More and more you have people who don’t care about being tough on crime.

This was not a thing in 2010. You literally had Washington state execute someone then. Jay Inslee halted death row executions there and that same Supreme Court that let Cal Browns execution go through tossed their death penalty out and cleared out death row. All those justices were the same in 2018 except for two. They unanimously tossed it out. Ted Strickland had eight executions in Ohio back then. Now Ohio is literally on the verge of abolition.
    Last edited by Neil; 07-03-2020 at 10:33 PM.

Barr has appealed Purkey's stay to SCOTUS.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/Search....blic\20a4.html
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

It's good to see the Federal Government hard at work. Only if other states were dedicated to getting things done so fast!
    "How do you get drunk on death row?" - Werner Herzog

"When we get fruit, we get the juice and water. I ferment for a week! It tastes like chalk, it's nasty" - Blaine Keith Milam #999558 Texas Death Row

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread Information