Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: Wesley Ira Purkey - Federal Execution - July 16, 2020

This is what they are saying...

Wesley Purkey: Supreme Court clears 2nd federal execution despite Trump's office having 'proof of his dementia'

The Supreme Court on Thursday morning, July 16, gave a green signal for 68-year-old Wesley Ira Purkey's execution after a lower court had put a stay on his execution over claims about his mental competency. Purkey's attorneys have stated that the Trump administration "appears to have had scientific confirmation" that suggested that Purkey has vascular dementia. His attorneys had previously stated that Purkey, a death row convict for rape and murders in 1998, is set to be executed despite POTUS' office having proof of his debilitating mental health conditions that inhibit him from understanding the reason for his government-ordered imminent death.

The top court's ruling comes as the Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit late on Wednesday, July 15, had upheld the District Court’s preliminary injunction blocking the government from executing Purkey on Wednesday night. Purkey's attorneys had filed urgent information with the Court of Appeals in an emergency motion opposed to the government’s attempts to vacate a preliminary injunction.

“Critically, five minutes before this filing, Mr. Purkey’s counsel learned that the Government appears to have had scientific confirmation in their possession of significant structural abnormalities in Mr. Purkey’s brain that are consistent with cognitive impairment such as vascular dementia or other conditions," the filing stated, according to court documents obtained by the MEA WorldWide (MEAWW).

"Access to this testing had been requested by Plaintiff for months, and arbitrarily denied by Defendants. Defendants reversed course last week, and permitted the testing at the expense of the Mr. Purkey’s team," the filing added. "Even though the testing was paid for and requested by Plaintiff’s counsel and their experts, the results were initially delivered only to the Government, last week. The Government provided reports based on this data late last week but did not deliver the underlying scans to Mr. Purkey’s expert until yesterday. Although Plaintiff’s expert has not been able to verify the extent of the atrophy and damage to Plaintiff's brain through the actual scans, the reports themselves make clear that significant abnormalities exists.”

The Supreme Court's Thursday order granted the government's request to lift an injunction blocking Purkey's execution. All the liberal side, Justices Stephen Breyer, Sonia Sotomayor, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, and Elena Kagan dissented in the 5-4 opinion.

US District Judge Tanya Chutkan had issued an injunction on Wednesday blocking Purkey's scheduled execution. Chutkan, in her ruling, noted that the 68-year-old convict suffers from progressive dementia, schizophrenia, and severe mental illness. The court also found that the government did not provide any independent evidence to contest Purkey's competency. The Department of Justice, after the ruling, appealed to the Supreme Court.

Three leading national mental health organizations, last week, had also called on Attorney General Bill Barr in a letter to put a halt to Purkey's execution, calling it "cruel and unusual" because of his mental health issues. Purkey suffers from Alzheimer's and dementia so severe that he does not understand the reason for his execution and believes that he is being put to death in retaliation of his complaints about the prison conditions.

“Wes Purkey is a severely brain-damaged and mentally ill man who suffers from Alzheimer’s disease,” said Woodman in a statement to MEAWW. “He has long accepted responsibility for the crime that put him on death row, but as his dementia has progressed, he no longer has a rational understanding of why the government plans to execute him. He believes his execution is part of a largescale conspiracy against him by the federal government in retaliation for his frequent challenges to prison conditions and he believes his own lawyers are working against him within this conspiracy."

Purkey's lawyers have stated that their filing of a preliminary injunction in the case demonstrated that the 68-year-old's condition met this standard and that his execution would violate the Eighth Amendment. "The Eighth Amendment prohibits executing someone who, like Wes, lacks a rational understanding of the basis for his execution, and the court must not allow the execution to go forward unless and until it can confirm that Mr Purkey has this understanding,” Woodman, who represents Purkey with Miller & Chevalier of Washington DC as co-counsel, added.

Purkey, from Lansing, Kansas, was given the death sentence for raping and killing a 16-year-old girl, Jennifer Long, in Kansas City, Missouri, 1998. He reportedly raped Long then killed her by stabbing her repeatedly and eventually used a chainsaw to cut her body into pieces. Purkey later burned her remains in a fireplace and threw her ashes 200 miles away in a septic pond in Clearwater, southwest of Wichita. Nearly nine months after Long's killing, he attacked an 80-year-old woman, Mary Ruth Bales, from Kansas City with a hammer and killed her. Purkey, at the time, pleaded guilty to the elderly woman's murder and was given a life sentence for the crime. However, years later, in 2003, a federal jury in the Western District of Missouri found Purkey guilty of kidnapping and killing Long. Prosecutors then sought the death penalty for him. Purkey, since then, has continued to remain at the US Penitentiary in Terre Haute, Indiana.

https://meaww.com/supreme-court-exec...lness-dementia
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Senior Member Frequent Poster Fact's Avatar
    “I deeply regret the pain and suffering I caused to Jennifer’s family,” he said. “I am deeply sorry. I deeply regret the pain I caused to my daughter, who I love so very much. This sanitized murder really does not serve no purpose whatsoever.”

Those sound like the words of a guy with dementia who didn't understand that he was being executed or the reason for the execution.

Wesley Ira Purkey Executed In Terre Haute, 2nd Man Put To Death This Week

For the second time this week, a man was executed by lethal injection inside a federal prison in Terre Haute, Indiana.

Wesley Ira Purkey was pronounced dead at 8:19 a.m. Thursday.

“I deeply regret the pain and suffering I’ve caused Jennifer’s family..." Purkey said in his last words. "This sanitized murder really does not serve no purpose whatsoever.”

The 68-year-old from Kansas was convicted on Nov. 3, 2003, of the violent rape and murder of a 16-year-old girl in Missouri. Officials said he then dismembered, burned and dumped the girl’s body in a septic pond.

Prior to his 2003 conviction, Purkey pleaded guilty to using a claw hammer to bludgeon to death an 80-year-old woman who suffered from polio and walked with a cane. For that, he was sentenced to life in prison.
    Purkey's execution came two days after Daniel Lewis Lee was put to death. Lee was the first federal execution in 17 years.

Both executions were delayed by the courts, with a federal judge granting injunctions within hours of the scheduled deaths. The Department of Justice ultimately prevailed in both cases, which each reached the Supreme Court of the United States.

U.S. District Court Judge Tanya Chutkan granted a preliminary injunction early Wednesday to delay Purkey's death, which was initially scheduled for 4 p.m. the same day. His attorneys said Purkey suffers from dementia and schizophrenia. She later granted another injunction.

A 5-4 Supreme Court decision lifted those injunctions early Thursday.

The 14-page order from Chutkan states that Purkey experienced repeated sexual abuse and molestation by those who cared for him as a child. He suffered multiple traumatic brain injuries, the first in 1968 when he was 16.

At 14, he was first examined for possible brain damage, and at 18, he was diagnosed with schizophrenic reaction, schizoaffective disorder, and depression superimposed upon a preexisting antisocial personality," court documents state. "At 68, he suffers from progressive dementia, schizophrenia, complex-post traumatic stress disorder, and severe mental illness.

The order says that Purkey sought to stop the execution on grounds that he was not competent to be executed, and that Attorney General William Barr and Bureau of Prisons Director Michael Carvajal did not afford him due process in connection with this Eighth Amendment claim.The Eighth Amendment prohibits the federal government from imposing excessive bail, excessive fines or cruel and unusual punishments.

Two more inmates are scheduled to be executed at the Terre Haute prison, including one this week.

Dustin Lee Honken, who shot and killed five people — including two men who planned to testify against him — is scheduled to be executed Friday. 

Keith Dwayne Nelson, who kidnapped, raped and strangled a 10-year-old girl, is scheduled to be executed Aug. 28.

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/...te/5442505002/
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

update: Sorry, I wrote with Bob at the same time. My post can be deleted.
    Last edited by Susana; 07-16-2020 at 08:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Susana View Post
    " Purkey bűnbánatot adott ki közvetlenül a Kivégzés Előtt. "Nagyon sajnálom, Hogy fájdalmat és szenvedést okoztam Jennifer családjának" - Mondta.„Nagyon sajnálom. Nagyon sajnálom, Hogy fájdalmat okoztam a lányomnak, Akit Nagyon szeretek. EZ egy fertőtlenített gyilkosság valójában semmilyen kelta szolgál .
    Halálának ideje 8:19 volt, EDT. "
    Hungarian Twitter?
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

No ksl.com

Ah, sorry. I do not know why, but I copied the Hungarian translation.
    Last edited by Susana; 07-16-2020 at 08:12 AM.
    ✹ Sorry for my terrible English ✹

🐰 I am really afraid of the needles, drowning, burning, pain, sharks and spiders. So the death row is not my place. Although there are no sharks there.

Seemed like a pretty lucid apology. What happened to his mental illness and not knowing why he was being executed? More Lawyer bull bleep
    "I am the warden! Get your warden off this gurney and shut up! You are not in America. This is the island of Barbados. People will see you doing this." Monty Delk's last words.

Senior Member Member
    Just to know that he paid his price for this totally sick murder. What a shame these things take so darn long.

Senior Member Frequent Poster Alfred's Avatar
    And thanks to Chutkan they are now taking him apart:

https://files.deathpenaltyinfo.org/d...2020-07-16.pdf

Anyone else a little surprised Roberts did the right thing in regards to the dementia claim? He deserves a lot of praise for staying strong in these cases. I feel bad for some of my comments on him in the past now.
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread Information