Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Keith Dwayne Nelson - Federal Execution - August 28, 2020

Opinion

Death penalty for Wood?

By JOHN BEAUDOIN
    The Cass County Democrat-Missourian

I was shuffling through one of my many boxes of ‘stuff’ a few days ago (looking for my passport, which I successfully located) when I ran across a bevy of old writings.

Short stories and other creative writing I authored in junior high, poems, position pieces, and those "papers" we all had to do in junior high and high school. One such handwritten paper was on my opposition to the death penalty. It was written in 1988.

Growing up, I fiercely opposed putting prisoners to death. Re-reading this paper, I was reminded why, at the time, I had such ardent resistance to it. Killing our prisoners, I reasoned, put us in some pretty awful company around the world. The vast majority of countries do not practice the death penalty on its prisoners. And, if we were to lead by example, we shouldn’t either.

In high school and college, I supported the efforts of Amnesty International, writing letters to foreign countries. I did then and still believe in the work that group does to shine a light on international countries that do not share our beliefs in human rights.

Over the years, though, it has been harder and harder to support a 100 percent, no death penalty stance.Groups like the Innocence Project, too, have put the spotlight directly on our justice system, helping free at least 18 people from Death Row since 1992. People that were wrongly convicted. This, too, back in 1988 was a concern outlined in my paper. Then, there was Pamela Butler in 1999. The sweet little girl rollerblading her way through the neighborhood, innocently enjoying her childhood when a monster named Keith Nelson took that away.

Nelson was convicted and sentenced to death for her rape and murder. Of course, he still sits on federal Death Row, where he has been since 2002. He’s been awaiting his execution longer than Pamela Butler had on this earth. There is just something patently wrong with that. Now, 15 years later, we have an eerily similar case with a girl the same age and in a circumstance that is just too awful to fathom.

Hailey Owens lost her life Feb. 19, likely at the hands of another monster, Craig Michael Wood.

In 1988 I couldn’t imagine strapping these two to a chair in our old gas chamber and flipping the switch to initiate the toxic fumes.

After following the Butler story and driving to the church field where she was murdered in 1999, I was so disgusted I think my views even then started to change.

Now with a daughter by my side, and reading the report on Wood and his alleged acts against a little girl, I can’t find my way to letting him live. I just simply cannot. Much consternation around the death penalty filters from the amount of time it takes (see Nelson) to actually exact the justice.

The hosts of a local radio talk show, “Dana and Parks” on 98.1 KMBZ have coined the phrase, "If we know, you go" when referring to death penalty cases, a nod to some sort of compromise on cases where we do not have iron-clad proof of the killer. Otherwise, in their view, inject them and get it over with.

Anymore, I really don’t care if a Keith Nelson or, if he’s guilty, Craig Michael Wood can be rehabilitated or ever contribute something to society.

I don’t want to sound cold or heartless, but in these types of cases, 2014 John just cannot agree with 1988 John. The deaths Pamela Butler and Hailey Owens were just too painful to think otherwise.

http://www.demo-mo.com/2014/02/28/24...-for-wood.html

On September 28, 2015, Nelson filed an appeal before the US Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit.

https://dockets.justia.com/docket/ci...ts/ca8/15-3160

Casey Eaton

Related:

Homicide victim was sister of girl abducted, killed in 1999

KANSAS CITY, Kan. – A Kansas City, Kansas, homicide victim has been identified as the sister of a girl whose kidnapping 17 years earlier sparked a massive manhunt before she was found dead in Missouri.

Police said Thursday that Casey Eaton, 34, was shot to death late Wednesday night. Her body was found in a vehicle, The Kansas City Star (http://bit.ly/2obyVz1) reports.

Her sister was Pamela Butler, who was 10 in October 1999 when she was kidnapped while roller-skating near her Kansas City, Kansas, home. The abduction sparked a two-day manhunt that included an early high-speed chase through the city when a passer-by saw Keith Nelson grab Pamela. Nelson managed to elude the witness, who got his license plate number and called police.

Nelson, who was sentenced to death in federal court, drove the girl east into Missouri and then dragged her into a densely wooded area of Grain Valley, where he beat her and strangled her with speaker wire. In return for pleading guilty, prosecutors agreed to drop a count alleging that he sexually assaulted the girl.

Cherri West, Pamela and Eaton's mother, expressed disbelief in a social media post that she has to bury another daughter.

"I am just totally lost," West wrote Thursday on Facebook. "I can't believe it's true. It truly has to be a nightmare ... I never in my life again would think I would have to live a parent's worst nightmare of having to be told I lost another daughter to murder."

Detectives investigating Eaton's killing are urging anyone with information to call a tips hotline.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/04/21...lled-in-1.html
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

'I can't believe this has happened to me again,' said Cherri West (seen right with Eaton).

A t-shirt showing the images of Casey Eaton and her sister, Pamela Butler, is seen above.

Emenencio Lansdown

'I can't believe this happened to me again': Devastated woman's daughter is shot dead in her car, almost 20 years after her other girl was kidnapped and murdered aged 10

By ARIEL ZILBER
    The Daily Mail

A woman who lost her daughter to a murder nearly 20 years ago is once again dealing with tragedy following the violent death of another daughter.

Casey Eaton, 34, was shot dead in a car in Kansas City, Kansas, on Wednesday, according to KSHB-TV.

Police arrested Emenencio Lansdown early Friday morning in connection with Eaton's death.

He faces second-degree murder charges as well as criminal possession of a firearm, KSHB-TV reported.

Local and federal authorities asked for the public's help in finding Lansdown, who evaded capture shortly after the shooting.

Police in Kansas City received a tip that Lansdown was in a home in a local residence.

Lansdown exchanged gunfire with officers before eventually exiting the residence and surrendering.

Eaton is the older sister of Pamela Butler, the 10-year-old girl who was kidnapped and murdered in 1999.

Eaton, who was 16 years old at the time, witnessed her sister being kidnapped from her neighborhood.

Butler's killer, Keith Nelson, was convicted and sentenced to death. He is still on death row awaiting execution.

Nelson kidnapped Pamela as she roller-skated near her home in Kansas City, Kansas, on October 12, 1999, stuffed her into the cab of a pickup truck, drove east into Missouri and stopped in the parking lot of a Grain Valley church.

He then dragged her into a densely wooded area, beat her and strangled her with speaker wire.

He was arrested two days later on the bank of the Kansas River.

'I can't believe this has happened to me again,' Cherri West, the mother of Butler and Eaton, told Fox 4 KC.

'You kind of sit back and you wonder what have you done in life for something like this to be done to you.'

'Casey was the oldest sister,' West said.

'She was my biggest helper. Anything that I needed done, like taking the kids to the dentist, do whatever, she did for me because I work.'

West said that when Nelson kidnapped Butler in front of her home, it was Eaton who ran after them.

'She was screaming down the street, and that's where the neighbor on the next block come down and started chasing the truck and lost it, but he got the tag number for us,' West said.

Nelson was sentenced to death in March 2002.

The U.S. Supreme Court declined to overturn his sentence in November 2004, opening a second round of appeals that permitted Nelson and a new set of lawyers to argue that he had received ineffective representation in his first appeal.

The 8th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals returned the case to Kansas City in October 2008, asking the judge to rule on whether Nelson’s lawyers had investigated the case properly, raised the necessary objections and done everything possible to explore mental health issues.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz4fB6Itr00

On April 11, 2018, oral argument will be heard in Nelson's appeal before the Eighth Circuit. The panel will be made up of Judges Smith (G.W. Bush), Wollman (Reagan) and Colloton (G.W. Bush).

http://media.ca8.uscourts.gov/webcal/apr18stl.pdf

'Rot and burn in hell,' mom tells killer after losing second daughter to violent crime

By Dom Calicchio
    Fox News

A Kansas woman who has lost two daughters to violent crime confronted the killer of her eldest daughter Friday as he was sentenced to 20 years and seven months in prison.

“I’m not an evil person," Cherri West said to defendant Enemencio Lansdown before he was sent off to prison, the Kansas City Star reported. “But I pray that every night Casey haunts you in your dreams. I hope you rot and burn in hell.”

Authorities say Lansdown, 42, pleaded no contest in February and was convicted of voluntary manslaughter in connection with the April 2017 fatal shooting of Casey Eaton, 34.

He was captured after a massive manhunt that culminated in an overnight standoff with police, Fox News reported at the time.

Eaton was killed about a block from where her younger sister, Pamela Butler, 10, was kidnapped 18 years earlier, the Star reported.

The abducted girl was later found dead in Missouri. Her captor, Keith D. Nelson, was eventually convicted and sentenced to death.

After Eaton was slain, West told Fox 4 in Kansas City that losing two daughters so violently was heartbreaking.

“I can't believe this has happened to me again," West said at the time. “You kind of sit back and you wonder what have you done in life for something like this to be done to you.”

Lansdown said nothing during Friday’s court session, the Star reported.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/04/07...ent-crime.html
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Keith Nelson v. United States

Killer in KCK’s infamous Pamela Butler kidnapping case loses death penalty appeal

The man who kidnapped, raped and killed a 10-year-old Kansas City, Kan., girl in 1999 lost an appeal of his conviction and death sentence Wednesday.

The 8th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals rejected the claims of Keith D. Nelson that his attorney had provided ineffective assistance.

Nelson, now 44, kidnapped Pamela Butler, who was rollerblading near her house when Nelson grabbed her, threw her into a pickup truck and sped away.

Two of her sisters witnessed the kidnapping, including Casey Eaton, who in 2017 was fatally shot near where Pamela had been taken.

Several days after Pamela was kidnapped, her body was found in a wooded area in Grain Valley. Nelson was the subject of a widely-publicized manhunt, and his arrest was broadcast live on television.

Nelson was linked to the crime by DNA, and in 2001 he pleaded guilty in U.S. District Court in Kansas City to a charge of interstate kidnapping resulting in death.

He was subsequently sentenced to death. At his sentencing hearing, Nelson showed no remorse and unleashed a “profanity-laden tirade” in court, according to Wednesday’s appeals court ruling.

An initial appeal by Nelson was previously denied, and the U.S. Supreme Court denied his request for a hearing.

Wednesday’s ruling dealt with several issues pertaining to how Nelson’s attorney represented him, including advising him to plead guilty.

The court denied the appeal on each count.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/loca...222302665.html
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

On March 11, 2019, the Eighth Circuit DENIED Nelson's petition for en banc rehearing.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/DocketP...o%20Extend.pdf

In today's orders, the United States Supreme Court DENIED Nelson's petition for writ of certiorari.

Lower Ct: United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
    Case Numbers: (15-3160)
    Decision Date: November 28, 2018
    Rehearing Denied: March 11, 2019

https://www.supremecourt.gov/search....c/19-5568.html

Execution date is set for August 28.

https://twitter.com/keribla/status/1...992837120?s=19

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information