Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dustin Lee Honken - Federal Execution - July 17, 2020

Senior Member Member
    Can some one actually order somebody to be executed. Not just sentence but issue a direct order to execute in a federal prison? What would happen if a death sentence is not carried out in the time ordered? I know that McVeigh's was postponed for a short amount of time and that date was reset. but what if that date was moved up and ordered. can that happen?

Honken has filed a civil rights injunction against Attorney General Barr.

https://dockets.justia.com/docket/in...cv00342/184350
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Senior Member Member
    geez if nobody murdered, committed treason, or espionage, or sex crimes there wouldn't be a need for the death penalty

Iowa meth kingpin who murdered five, including two girls aged 10 and 6, will be put to death Friday after judge denies request to delay federal execution

An Iowa meth kingpin who murdered five, including two girls aged 10 and 6, will be put to death Friday after a judge denied his request to delay his federal execution.

US District Judge Leonard Strand wrote Tuesday that he would not intervene to delay Dustin Honken's execution date due to the coronavirus pandemic.

This comes as the first federal execution in 17 years took place Tuesday, when white supremacist Daniel Lewis Lee was put to death by lethal injection in the penitentiary in Terre Haute, Indiana.

A second planned execution was scheduled for Wednesday morning, but a judge halted it last minute, granting double murderer Wesley Purkey a delay because his lawyers claim he is suffering from dementia.

Honken was denied a delay to his execution date Tuesday due to the coronavirus pandemic, meaning he could now be the second death row inmate put to death since Attorney General William Barr made the move to push ahead with executions ahead of the 2020 presidential race.

Strand said the Bureau of Prisons was in the best position to weigh the health risks against the benefits of carrying out the execution.

Strand also denied Honken's motion to declare his execution void due to an alleged procedural error by the government and affirmed the executive branch's power to set the date for executions.

A federal judge also turned down on Tuesday a request by Honken's spiritual adviser - a Catholic priest - to put the execution on hold until after the pandemic.

Honken, 52, is scheduled to die Friday by lethal injection at the federal prison in Terre Haute, Indiana - the same facility where Lee was executed Tuesday.

He has been on death row since he was sentenced to death in 2004 for the brutal 1993 slayings of five people - Greg Nicholson, Terry DeGeus, Lori Duncan and her daughters Kandi, 10, and Amber, 6, in Mason City.

Nicholson, Duncan, Kandi, and Amber vanished on July 25 and DeGeus disappeared on November 5.

The bodies of Nicholson and the Duncan family were found buried in a single hole located in a wooded area outside Mason City in 2000 after an informant provided authorities with maps of where Honken's accomplice Angela Johnson told him the bodies were buried.

Kandi and Amber each had a single bullet hole in the back of their heads.

Nicholson and Duncan were bound, gagged, and shot multiple times, including once in the head.

DeGeus's body was found in a field a few miles away, face down in a shallow hole with a severely fragmented skull having been shot one or more times.

Honken shot and killed the two men because they planned to testify against him in drug charges.

In 1993, Honken was operating a methamphetamine lab in Arizona when Nicholson, one of the two dealers he used for distribution, was pinched by police and turned informant, according to court documents.

Honken was arrested on state drug charges following Nicholson's arrest, but made bond.

When he was released, he began a desperate hunt for Nicholson, who went into hiding by staying with Duncan and her two children.

He shot dead and buried the Nicholson as well as the single, working mother and her daughters because Nicholson was hiding out with them.

Five days after the four victims vanished, Honken appeared for his plea hearing, but declined to plead guilty.

He told his attorney he heard a rumor Nicholson had skipped town.

Honken also provided his attorney with a VHS tape of Nicholson saying Honken was not guilty of the charges against him.

The government turned its attention to the other possible witness against Honken, his other dealer, Terry DeGeus.

DeGeus then disappeared as well when Honken murdered him and buried his body around a mile from his other victims.

Charges against Honken were dropped because the witnesses could not be found but the following year, authorities discover his meth lab and arrest him for meth trafficking.

He was sentenced to 27 years in prison in 1998 for drug charges.

In 2000, an informant provided investigators with two maps Johnson gave him showing where the bodies were buried.

When behind bars, Honken also admitted to other inmates he killed witnesses to avoid earlier charges. Honken went into great detail about the murders.

On October 14, 2004, a jury in the US District Court for the Northern District of Iowa found Honken guilty of numerous offenses, including five counts of murder during the course of a continuing criminal enterprise, and he was sentenced to death.

The ruling made him the first Iowan since 1963 to be sentenced to death.

He will be executed in Terre Haute, Indiana, Friday.

While Honken's hopes of a stay of execution have so far been turned down, the request for a delay to the federal execution of another death row inmate was granted Tuesday.

A US District Court in Washington early on Wednesday delayed the execution of Wesley Purkey, 68, just hours before it was due to take place, following objections by his lawyers that he has dementia and no longer understands his punishment.

Purkey raped and killed a 16-year-old girl Jennifer Long and beat 80-year-old Mary Bales to death back in 1998.

District Court Judge Tanya Chutkan imposed two injunctions prohibiting the federal Bureau of Prisons from moving forward with Purkey's execution Wednesday morning.

The Justice Department immediately appealed in both cases.

A separate temporary stay of execution was already in place from the 7th US Circuit Court of Appeals.

Purkey's lawyers had argued he is not mentally competent and that he believes his execution is part of a federal government conspiracy against him because of complaints he has raised about prison conditions.

Chutkan didn't rule on whether Purkey is competent but said the court needs to evaluate the claim.

This comes after white supremacist Daniel Lewis Lee became the first to be executed by the federal government in almost two decades Tuesday.

Lee, 47, of Yukon, Oklahoma, he died by lethal injection after the Supreme Court cleared the way overnight with a 5-4 vote.

The self-confessed white supremacist was convicted in Arkansas of the 1996 killings of gun dealer William Mueller, his wife Nancy, and her 8-year-old daughter, Sarah Powell.

Lee continued to maintain his innocence up until his death, saying 'I didn't do it' just moments before he was executed at 8.07am EDT.

'I've made a lot of mistakes in my life, but I'm not a murderer... You're killing an innocent man,' he said.

His execution, which came over the objection of the victims' family, was carried out after a series of legal volleys that ended when the Supreme Court stepped in early Tuesday in a 5-4 ruling and allowed it to move forward.

The decision to move forward with federal executions has drawn scrutiny from civil rights groups.

Critics have argued that the Trump administration, which has been pushing for the executions, was creating an unnecessary and manufactured urgency for political gain ahead of the 2020 elections.

Attorney General William Barr has said the Justice Department has a duty to carry out the sentences imposed by the courts, including the death penalty, and to bring a sense of closure to the victims and those in the communities where the killings happened.

Child killer Keith Nelson has his execution date set for August 28 for the kidnapping, rape and strangulation of a 10-year-old girl.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...execution.html
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

The Seventh Circuit has denied a stay to Honken because of COVID-19.

https://files.deathpenaltyinfo.org/d...2020-07-15.pdf

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

All of this stuff should serve as a wake up call for Georgia and Texas to start scheduling executions again.

YouÂ’re right. ThereÂ’s no reason Texas, Georgia and Alabama canÂ’t set more execution dates for the rest of the year.

SCOTUS has denied Honken a stay of execution

https://www.supremecourt.gov/orders/...20zr1_8m58.pdf

The Feds hit the trifecta this week. yay!
    "I am the warden! Get your warden off this gurney and shut up! You are not in America. This is the island of Barbados. People will see you doing this." Monty Delk's last words.

Honken probably soaked his trousers when he realized his end was near

If Judge Tanya Chutkan throws in the towel for Honken delaying his scheduled execution Friday, his date will take place Monday morning.
    "How do you get drunk on death row?" - Werner Herzog

"When we get fruit, we get the juice and water. I ferment for a week! It tastes like chalk, it's nasty" - Blaine Keith Milam #999558 Texas Death Row

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information