Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anthony George Battle - Federal

Anthony George Battle - Federal

D’Antonio Washington

Anthony George Battle

Summary of Offense:

Incarcerated in the federal penitentiary in Atlanta, Georgia with a history of psychiatric problems, Battle was sentenced to death in March 1997 for the murder of a prison guard, D'Antonio Washington, in 1994.

After the completion of all legal appeals, Battle has joined the lethal-injection litigation in the DC Circuit Court.

Click on "Death Row" at

Sentence was reduced to Life.

ANTHONY GEORGE BATTLE
    Register Number: 11451-056
    Release Date: LIFE

https://www.bop.gov/inmateloc/

According to media reports and the DPIC Battle is still on death row. Due to the little information that is available on him and that he is still listed as serving a life sentence at Terre Haute USP, I am inclinded to believe that that the reports are correct and that their website listing is wrong.

https://deathpenaltyinfo.org/state-a...-row-prisoners
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

Article for more detail

Edited

July 26, 2019

The government says it will resume executions. These are the three Georgia men on federal death row.

Jonathan Raymond
    11 Alive

The federal government said on Thursday that it would begin resuming executions this year, the first that would occur since 2003.

The Department of Justice said five men would be executed in December, all convicted in child murder cases.

There are 55 other federal prisoners with a death sentence, according to the Death Penalty Information Center, and three of them are from Georgia.

These are their stories:

According to court documents, Battle was already serving a life sentence when, in 1994, he allegedly killed correctional officer D’Antonio Washington with a hammer at the U.S. Penitentiary in Atlanta.

Battle was said to have been found standing near Washington as the guard was discovered on the ground bleeding from his head. Battle's clothes were splattered in blood and the hammer was found behind a vending machine he was standing by.

Court documents say he confessed to the killing the same day.

In a later interview, he told agents “that he felt he was getting ‘bossed around’ at (the prison) and that he thought he might get more respect by killing Officer Washington.”

“Battle also told agents he was happy about Officer Washington’s death and had no remorse whatsoever,” says a 2005 judgment by the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals, affirming Battle’s death sentence.

Battle’s earlier life sentence was for the 1987 sexual assault and murder of his wife, a U.S. Marine named Minnie Foreman.

Washington, 31 years old when he died, is one of 26 federal corrections officers who have been killed on the job.

https://www.11alive.com/article/news...1-d58bc8a282e6

Article also gives a link to his appeal to the 11th Circuit in 2005. https://www.scribd.com/document/4198...tle#from_embed
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

So he got his sentence commuted but that article says he’s still on death row?
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    According to media reports and the DPIC Battle is still on death row. Due to the little information that is available on him and that he is still listed as serving a life sentence at Terre Haute USP, I am inclinded to believe that that the reports are correct and that their website listing is wrong.

https://deathpenaltyinfo.org/state-a...-row-prisoners
    I think he has been resentenced to life and DPIC and the media are wrong. Also Federal Bureau of Prisons has him listed as being at Springfield MCFP, not Terre Haute.
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

They most've finished the resentencing and moved him since I last looked him up.

I wonder if covid is delaying inmates being transferred around right now?
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

I'm even more confused now. So he is still on death row and the feds are trying to lift an injuction that is stopping him from being executed. Further more in the filing it says that his appeals have been exhausted for at least 10 years.

What is going on? The Feds still don't have him listed as being on Death Row or at Terre.

https://assets.documentcloud.org/doc...417.1597980895
    Last edited by Mike; 08-20-2020 at 10:58 PM.

Stay of execution VACATED by District of Columbia United States District Court Judge Tanya Chutkan (Obama).

https://ecf.dcd.uscourts.gov/cgi-bin...2019mc0145-265

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information