Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Christopher Eugene Brooks - Alabama Execution - January 21, 2016

Senior Member CnCP Addict TrudieG's Avatar
    Personally speaking it doesn't matter where you stand on the death penalty I would attend if it was the punishment of the person who killed my sister, brother or any member of my family and wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

In today's decisions, the US Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit DENIED Brooks' motion for an emergency stay.

http://media.ca11.uscourts.gov/opini.../201515732.pdf

I was expecting a stay at the federal level.
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Same. I'm shocked the circuit didn't stay it, not that I'm complaining.

Senior Member Member
    I don't understand, I thought it was good news that the stay was denied by the US Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit?

It is good news bernhard. We were surprised Brooks did not get a stay.
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

U.S. Court of Appeals denies emergency stay of execution

By Kelsey Davis
    The Montgomery Advertiser

The United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit has denied an emergency stay of execution for Christopher Brooks, who is scheduled to be put to death on Thursday.

Brooks, convicted in 1992 for the rape, burglary, robbery and murder of Jo Deann Campbell, is currently party to a lawsuit that challenges the constitutionality of Alabama’s death penalty protocol.

That case, called the “Midazolam Litigation,” was filed in 2012 on behalf of five other death inmates and is scheduled for a final hearing in April. Brooks intervened as the sixth plaintiff in Nov. 2015.

“We believe the 11th Circuit erred in denying Mr. Brooks’ stay motion and his appeal, and we will be asking the United States Supreme Court to review the decision,” wrote John Palombi, an attorney for Federal Defenders Office of the Middle District of Alabama who represents Brooks.

In early December Palombi filed a petition asking U.S. District Judge Keith Watkins to delay Brooks’ execution until final arguments could be presented, but Watkins denied the request.

“Naturally, Brooks wants in the game, and he is of late on the roster,” Watkins’ order read.

Alabama’s changed its death penalty protocol in Sept. 2014 to use 500 milligrams of midazolam hydrochloride, a sedative; 600 milligrams of rocuronium bromide, a paralytic and 240 "milliequivalents" of potassium chloride, which stops the heart.

Because no inmate has been executed since 2013, Brooks would be the first person in the state to be put to death with the new protocol, which replaced pentobarbital with midazolam.

The use of midazolam in lethal injection protocols came under scrutiny after it was identified as the common denominator in four botched execution occurring from October, 2013, to July, 2014, in Florida, Ohio, Oklahoma and Arizona.

“As noted in our briefing, we believe the Supreme Court’s ruling in Glossip v. Gross requires the 11th Circuit to overturn the District Court’s ruling and allow Mr. Brooks to put on evidence showing that a three-drug protocol involving midazolam will leave him aware but unable to communicate while he is tortured to death with the second and third drugs,” Palombi wrote.

Brooks’ attorneys had also filed a petition with the Alabama Supreme Court asking it to stay his execution based on a recent United States Supreme Court decision which deemed Florida’s death sentencing scheme unconstitutional.

“Since Alabama’s sentencing scheme is virtually identical to Florida’s, we believe the decision is applicable here as well,” Palombi wrote.

The petition to the Alabama Supreme Court was also denied.

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/...tion/79000680/

Senior Member Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moh View Post
    The use of midazolam in lethal injection protocols came under scrutiny after it was identified as the common denominator in four botched execution occurring from October, 2013, to July, 2014, in Florida, Ohio, Oklahoma and Arizona.
    Which Florida "botched" execution are they talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by Albert View Post
    Which Florida "botched" execution are they talking about?
    The article is incorrect about a Florida "botched" execution. Alabama is wise to use 500 mg of Midazolam as the first drug and hopefully won't have the troubles the other foolish states did trying to knock the inmate out with 50mg.

danabw
    Is his legal team out of options now that the Alabama Supreme Court denied their petition? Is there any chance of a last second stay?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information