Thread: Anthony Lee Stanley - Alabama Death Row

Anthony Lee Stanley - Alabama Death Row

Summary of Offense:

Sentenced to death on August 15, 2007 in Colbert County for the 2005 beating and stabbing death of Henry Earl Smith, 52, of Tuscumbia.

MONTGOMERY, Ala. - Appellate courts have upheld the death sentences given to four Alabama death row inmates.

The Alabama Court of Criminal Appeals upheld the capital murder conviction and death sentence of 45-year-old Anthony Lee Stanley, convicted of beating Henry Earl Smith to death with a baseball bat in Colbert County in 2005.

http://www.dailycomet.com/article/20...victions&tc=ar

Murder conviction upheld by state court

The Alabama Court of Criminal Appeals on Friday upheld the capital murder conviction of a Tuscumbia man accused of killing a man in 2005 by stabbing him with steak knives and beating him with a baseball bat.

Anthony Lee Stanley, 45, was convicted of capital murder in April 2007 for killing Henry Earl Smith, 52, McLain Apartments on North Hook Street in Tuscumbia, during a robbery.

The body was discovered June 20 in the apartment where Stanley and his wife, Shelly, lived.

Two months after he was convicted of capital murder, Stanley was sentenced to die by lethal injection.

Jurors recommended Stanley be sentenced to life in prison without parole. Colbert County Circuit Judge Hal Hughston, however, overruled the jury’s recommended and sentenced Stanley to death.

Hughston, in making his ruling, said he changed the sentence in part because of the brutality involved in the killing.

Authorities said Smith was beaten with a baseball bat and then stabbed with steak knives more than 30 times. Testimony during the trial indicated that eight of the stab wounds punctured Smith’s lungs.

Also, according to the state medical examiner, the autopsy revealed Smith’s face was crushed and his jawbones was broken.

Shelly Stanley, who pleaded to murder in 2006 and was sentenced to life with the possibility of parole, testified against her husband and said he was the one who beat and stabbed Smith.

She said when the blade of one knife became bent, her husband grabbed another knife and kept stabbing Smith. The second knife was left sticking in Smith’s back.

“There’s no question this was a gruesome case, a terribly brutal case,” Colbert County District Attorney Bryce Graham Jr. said. “Certainly justice was done in this case. There was no other penalty that would have fit that particular crime than the death penalty. I applaud the court of appeals for upholding it.”

A date has not been set for Stanley to be put to death.

During the trial, testimony indicated the Stanleys were desperate for drugs and they developed a plan to lure Smith to their apartment to rob him.

Shelly Stanley said they had been high on crack cocaine for four days before the attack.

She testified she lured Smith to the apartment June 18, 2005, under the pretense of paying him for the powerful painkiller OxyContin tablets she had purchased from him the previous day.

Police said the Stanleys left after they killed Smith.

The apartment was padlocked from the outside. When officers got into the apartment they found Smith’s body on the floor wrapped in a comforter.

http://www.timesdaily.com/article/20...by-state-court

Court upholds Colbert Co. man's death sentence

The Alabama Court of Criminal Appeals upheld a death sentence in a Colbert County murder case.

The ruling just came out in the case of Anthony Lee Stanley.

The ruling found a judge had sufficient reasons to sentence Stanley to death despite a jury's recommendation of life without parole.

Stanley is on death row for killing Henry Earl Smith during a 2005 robbery.

This was the third time the court has reviewed Stanley's case.

http://www.waff.com/story/21220885/c...death-sentence
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

In today's orders, the United States Supreme Court declined to review Stanley's petition for certiorari.

Lower Ct: Court of Criminal Appeals of Alabama
    Case Nos.: (CR-06-2236)
    Decision Date: February 15, 2013
    Discretionary Court
    Decision Date: November 22, 2013
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Petition for writ of certiorari to the Alabama Court of Criminal Appeals denied by the Alabama Supreme Court.

https://law.justia.com/cases/alabama...1/1200018.html
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

On February 4, 2022, Stanley filed a habeas petition in Federal District Court.

https://dockets.justia.com/docket/al...cv00154/180154
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Thread Information