Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Willie B. Smith III - Alabama Execution - October 21, 2021

Smith's head is shaped like a cone. He's definitely uglier that Babyface Blaine.
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Junior Member Stranger
    Yup, could easily be part of a Conehead's skit on SNL. It would be comical and conical

The Middle District Court of Alabama has denied Smith’s claim of intellectual disability and his claim that Alabama’s lethal injection protocol violates the Eighth Amendment.

https://law.justia.com/cases/federal...0927/71446/25/
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

On December 14, 2020, Smith filed an appeal requesting a preliminary injunction based on civil rights violations to the Federal District Court.

https://dockets.justia.com/docket/al...0cv01026/74318

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

Alabama execution should be delayed due to COVID, lawyer says

A man set to be executed next month is asking the state’s highest court to put off his execution date because of coronavirus.

Willie B. Smith III, 52, is set to die by lethal injection on Feb. 11 at William C. Holman Correctional Facility in Atmore.

“Mr. Smith’s execution has all the makings of a super-spreader event, threatening not just the lives of those who attend the execution, but also the lives of the people in the communities from which they came,” his attorneys from the Federal Defenders for the Middle District of Alabama wrote in the motion filed to the Alabama Supreme Court on Wednesday.

“Additionally, Mr. Smith’s counsel cannot adequately prepare his clemency petition due to clear directives in the Safer at Home Order, which Governor Ivey announced last week would be extended until at least March 5, 2021.”

Smith III was sentenced to death for the October 1991 abduction, robbery, and murder of Sharma Ruth Johnson. Johnson, 22, was shot execution style with a sawed-off shotgun at Zion Memorial Cemetery and her body was later found in the trunk of her burned car. Smith stole Johnson’s bank card, records state, and used it to withdraw $80 from an ATM on Parkway East in Birmingham.

Smith’s attorneys state in the motion, “Given the worsening public health crisis arising from COVID-19 and its impact on Mr. Smith’s access to counsel during this critical period leading up to his execution, this Court should exercise its authority under (law) to reset Mr. Smith’s execution date.”

The motion also cites several federal prisons across the country who have conducted executions during the pandemic. “Despite (Bureau of Prison) measures to prevent transmission of the virus during the executions, such as required masks and temperature checks, confirmed COVID-19 infections among attorneys, BOP staff, and the religious advisor of a death row prisoner have all been directly linked to preparing for and attending the federal executions.”

The Alabama Attorney General’s Office has yet to respond to the motion.

Smith has two other federal court cases pending, both in the Middle District of Alabama. One case is about his religious freedoms; another about wanting to opt-in to the state’s newly approved, but not yet tried, execution method of nitrogen hypoxide.

Smith’s co-defendant, Angelica Willis, pleaded guilty to murder in Johnson’s death and was sentenced to 25 years in prison.

Smith has had several appeals over the years, including a 2013 case claiming that state prosecutors involuntarily used an antipsychotic drug on Smith throughout his 1992 trial, which caused Smith a severe allergic reaction and rendered him unable to show any emotion on his face throughout the trial.

A 2019 appeal stated Smith was intellectually disabled and cannot be executed; but, after oral arguments, the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals disagreed. According to Smith’s lawyers, the intellectual disability loss was despite his having a 64 and 72 IQ according to the experts (70, when adjusted, is now the cut-off for being too intellectually disabled to be executed).

(source: al.co)
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Ivey isn't granting clemency anyway and the AL Supreme Court set the date so this should be thrown out but his religious freedom claims will probably succeed in light of Gutierrez. AL best just let the chaplain in.
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Let’s hope ol’ Bama has a wave this year. There appears to be three inmates that more than likely didn’t choose nitrogen Timothy Saunders, Aretz Hammonds, and Bobby Waldrop. Plus two more who are about to be denied cert.
    Last edited by Neil; 01-29-2021 at 04:09 PM.

William Kuenzal, Anthony Boyd, Mark Jenkins, Michael Taylor and Jeffrey Lee also didn’t choose nitrogen.

AL has pounced on Smith and Woods after they lost at SCOTUS, yet they've moved no move on eligible inmates such as Waldrop, Taylor, and Hammonds. I'm assuming they chose nitrogen at this point. Also, I'm pretty sure Lee is one of the nine we know 100% chose nitrogen.

Does anyone of a have a full list? This has been going on for 3 years at this point. I mean I wouldn’t say that Hammonds and Waldrop chose nitrogen. Samara didn’t get a date in 16 he was executed in 2019. The same goes with Ray. He got at date a couple of years after cert was denied.
    Last edited by Neil; 01-29-2021 at 04:00 PM.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information