Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Willie B. Smith III - Alabama Execution - October 21, 2021

Attorneys for Alabama death row inmate Willie B. Smith file another appeal with 11th Circuit

Attorneys for an Alabama death row inmate facing execution this week argued Tuesday that a lower court misread the evidence and the law in allowing the execution to proceed.

“The district court’s opinion was not only wrong on the law but was based on clearly erroneous factual findings, and therefore, constituted an abuse of discretion,” attorneys for Willie B. Smith III wrote in a 52-page brief to the 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals.

The case turns on whether the state gave Smith a proper way to choose to die by nitrogen hypoxia in June 2018. Smith’s attorneys, who said his IQ is between 64 and 72, argue that he could not understand the choice presented to him and that the Alabama Department of Corrections (DOC) violated his rights under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) by not accommodating him

https://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com...21/8513496002/
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

The 11th Circuit has denied a stay of execution.

https://cases.justia.com/federal/app...?ts=1634832061
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Alabama’s going to have to take Missouri’s place after next year. Next year they’ll just be down to just a handful of inmates. It’s probably going to be like 2015 again for Missouri next year given most of their inmates are ready to file for cert. Missouri and Virginia are definitely similar death penalty states but unlike Virginia their legislature won’t abolish their death row even with no death sentences in the state at all. Oklahoma seemed like the best candidate to take over Missouri but from the looks of it they just pandered like the other pitiful restart attempts we saw this year.

Sharma Johnson’s friend reflects on her life as convicted killer Willie B. Smith is set for execution

TRUSSVILLE, Ala. (WIAT) — It’s been nearly 30 years since 22-year-old Sharma Ruth Johnson was killed after she was robbed, abducted and then shot to death in Birmingham.

Willie B. Smith III was convicted of that murder back in 1991. On Thursday night, he is set to be executed.

Shelly Luna first met Johnson in the 7th grade and were friends until her death. Luna remembers Sharma for being a sweet and humble girl who had plans to go to college and study interior design. She also remembers Johnson willing to do anything to help anyone in need.

While acknowledging the controversy surrounding whether or not Smith should receive the death penalty, Luna said she’s in support of it due to the inhumane way Johnson died.

Luna is hoping Smith’s death helps brings closure to not only herself, but Sharma’s family as well.

“Thirty years later is 30 years too long,” Luna said. “I remember it like yesterday and a lot has changed in 30 years. I got to grow up and have children. I got to see children graduate college and Sharma didn’t get that.”

The execution of Willie Smith is scheduled to take place at the Atmore Correctional Facility at 6 p.m.

https://www.cbs42.com/news/local/sha...uted-thursday/
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Alabama is in the Central time zone.

So, 7:00 PM EDT, 6:00 PM CDT, 5:00 PM MDT and 4:00 PM PDT.

We invite everyone to join us in X-Night Chat.

Click on the link in the amber virtual party banner or on the X-Night Chat button in the top of this page.

See you there!
    "Sorry for the delay, I got caught in traffic." — Rodney Scott Berget, South Dakota, October 29, 2018 — final words.

SCOTUS denied a stay of execution. Sotomayor respected the denial of certiorari.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinion...21a99_1an2.pdf

Willie B Smith III was pronounced dead at 9:47 PM.
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Edited from AL.com

Attorney General Steve Marshall said this:

"“Justice has been served. Tonight, Willie Smith was put to death for the heinous crime he committed nearly three decades ago: the abduction and execution-style murder of an innocent young woman, Sharma Johnson.

When a capital murderer is due to receive his just punishment, one always hears accusations of ‘cruel and unusual punishment,’ with that term rarely used in a way that accords with its constitutional meaning—and absolutely never used in reference to the victim’s loved ones.

The family of Sharma Johnson has had to wait 29 years, 11 months, and 25 days to see the sentence of Sharma’s murderer be carried out. Finally, the cruel and unusual punishment that has been inflicted upon them—a decadeslong denial of justice—has come to an end.

I ask the people of Alabama to join me in praying for Sharma’s family and friends, that they might now be able to find peace and closure.”

Governor Kay Ivey said this:

"Governor Kay Ivey released a statement, saying Smith “brutally” killed Sharma Johnson. “In that final moment of this young lady’s short life, Mr. Smith... made the choice to put a shotgun to her head, stealing this woman’s future.”

Ivey added, “In dealing with this unimaginable and tragic loss, her loved ones have endured years of Mr. Smith attempting to avoid due punishment and then a delayed execution earlier this year. Mr. Smith had more time on death row than Ms. Johnson had in this life. The evidence in this case was overwhelming, and justice has been rightfully served. The carrying out of Mr. Smith’s sentence sends the message that the state of Alabama will not tolerate these murderous acts. I pray that the loved ones of Ms. Johnson can be closer to finding peace.”

https://www.al.com/crime/2021/10/ala...outputType=amp

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread Information