Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Kenneth Eugene Smith - Alabama Execution - January 25, 2024

Senior Member CnCP Legend Mastro Titta's Avatar
    In today's orders, the United States Supreme Court DENIED Smith's petition for certiorari.

Lower Ct: United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
    Case Numbers: (19-14543)
    Decision Date: April 6, 2021
    Rehearing Denied: May 19, 2021

https://www.supremecourt.gov/orders/...22zor_bq7d.pdf

A jury recommended life in prison for Kenneth Eugene Smith. Alabama is set to execute him Nov. 17

By Lee Hedgepeth
    WIAT

MONTGOMERY, Ala. — The Alabama Supreme Court has set an execution date of Nov. 17 for Kenneth Eugene Smith.

The death warrant, issued Friday, will be carried out in the death chamber of Holman Correctional Facility in Atmore, barring further action by a court.

In 1996, Smith was convicted in a murder-for-hire plot that led to the death of Elizabeth Dorlene Sennett in her Colbert County home. A jury recommended by vote of 11 to 1 that Smith should receive a sentence of life without parole, but a judge overrode that verdict and sentenced Smith to death.

“If Smith’s trial had occurred today, he would not be eligible for execution,” a federal appeals court wrote of Smith’s case in 2021.

Alabama abandoned an attempt to execute another inmate, Alan Miller, earlier this month after prison staff had difficulty accessing Miller’s veins.

The state’s last carried out an execution in July when it lethally injected Joe Nathan James, Jr. for the 1994 murder of Faith Hall. Hall’s family had opposed James’ execution.

An independent autopsy of James conducted after his execution showed that the state had gone to extreme lengths to access James’ veins, including a rudimentary, outdated procedure known as a “cutdown,” which involved slicing an inmate’s skin to more easily access veins.

https://www.cbs42.com/news/death-pen...te-him-nov-17/
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Let's hope they can find his veins...
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Smith is only 207 pounds so he’s overweight but not a tub of lard like Miller

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

Senior Member Frequent Poster Ted's Avatar
    I weigh more than that (at 5'11) and I had a blood test a month ago with no issue. Smith has no excuse.
    Violence and death seem to be the only answers that some people understand.

I myself have very deep veins in my blood drawing arms. It takes like 10 minutes for a new nurse to insert an IV In them. I’m wondering what kind of vein problems some of these inmates have.

Venous access is always instaneous for me, but my veins are like pipelines - the ones in the crooks of my arms are readily visible and my arms are vascular in appearance in general. Then again I only weigh 155 at 6'1".
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

This is why I’m against death row inmates being locked down in solitary confinement. With nothing to do they just lay in bed all day and gain weight from lack of mobility. It’s no wonder the condemned inmates in Alabama, Texas and Tennessee all become big.

Senior Member Member
    It’s almost 25 years since the Ellis Unit escape. Surely Texas could think of giving the inmates limited freedom with each other on death row.

Senior Member Frequent Poster Steven AB's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobsicles View Post
    This is why I’m against death row inmates being locked down in solitary confinement. With nothing to do they just lay in bed all day and gain weight from lack of mobility. It’s no wonder the condemned inmates in Alabama, Texas and Tennessee all become big
    In Japan all death row inmates are in solitary but none is overweight. The only difference is their diet.

I once read that even for general population inmates, they work all the day in silence and the nourriture given to them depends of how much physical is their assigned job. That's better for three purposes of imprisonment that are deterrence, catharsis and even rehabilitation. For the two other, it can help for restitution if they have a little wage, and is indifferent for incapacitation.

In contrast, U.S. jails where inmates do musculation all their free time are prep schools of recidivism. And now the "social justice" movement call to abolish mandatory work for these convicts, who are fed, housed, etc. at the expense of law-abiding taxpayers.

That's also why life without parole is more costly than the death penalty: abolitionist studies claiming the contrary avoid the cost of geriatric care and necessary maximum security facilities, among other flaws.

https://prodpinnc.blogspot.com/2013/...ing-money.html
    Last edited by Steven AB; 10-01-2022 at 06:32 AM.
    "If ever there were a case for a referendum, this is one on which the people should be allowed to express their own views and not irresponsible votes in the House of Commons." — Winston Churchill, on the death penalty

The self-styled "Death Penalty Information Center" is financed by the oligarchic European Union. — The Daily Signal

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information