Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Matthew G. Reeves - Alabama Execution - January 27, 2022

Senior Member CnCP Legend Mastro Titta's Avatar
    Any ideas on why Alabama Attorney General still hasn't disclosed whether he plans to appeal or not?

Alabama attorney general appeals decision blocking Matthew Reeves execution

The Alabama Attorney General’s Office on Tuesday appealed a federal judge’s ruling blocking the execution of an inmate who said he did not have the proper means to choose an alternate method of execution.

In a 37-page ruling issued Friday, U.S. District Judge R. Austin Huffaker Jr. wrote that the Alabama Department of Corrections had documentation that Matthew Reeves, scheduled for execution on Jan. 27 for the 1996 murder of Willie Johnson, had major intellectual disabilities before giving inmates a brief window in 2018 to choose death by nitrogen hypoxia. The judge wrote that DOC should have provided assistance to Reeves to help him understand the choice.

“In the present case, under the (Americans with Disabilities Act), it demonstrates that the ADOC was on notice that Reeves had IQ scores in the high 60s or low 70s, subaverage intellectual functioning, and had been found to be functionally illiterate a mere two months before it handed him the election form and expected him to comprehend and utilize it without accommodation,” Huffaker wrote.

The attorney general has appealed the decision to the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals.

A jury convicted Reeves, 44, of Johnson’s murder in 1998. According to court documents, Reeves and some companions were driving on Nov. 27, 1996, planning to commit a robbery, when their car broke down. Johnson gave Reeves a tow and a ride. Reeves shot Johnson as he stopped at a stoplight and told other passengers to search his pockets for money.

Attorneys for the inmate say he has a tested IQ in upper 60s to lower 70s, and that attorneys at his trial failed to hire an expert who could testify to that fact, despite receiving funds to do so. The U.S. Supreme Court last July rejected the claim of ineffective counsel and allowed the execution to proceed.

In 2018, Gov. Kay Ivey signed a bill creating nitrogen hypoxia as an alternate method of execution. Death row inmates had a 30-day window to decide whether to choose the new method of execution. Inmates told the Advertiser in 2019 that the process was chaotic, with inmates having a few days to contact attorneys to determine what the choice meant.

Reeves’ attorneys argued that his intellectual disabilities prevented him from understanding the choice. The inmate also argued death by lethal injection would be “tortuous,” citing examples of botched executions in the past.

The attorney general’s office argued that Reeves never demonstrated that he would have chosen execution by nitrogen hypoxia and that he had not pleaded in time for accommodation.

Death row inmate Willie B. Smith, convicted of the 1991 robbery and murder of Sharma Ruth Johnson, argued last year that his intellectual disabilities prevented him from understanding that he could choose to die by nitrogen hypoxia. But federal courts rejected his argument. The state executed Smith on Oct. 21.

https://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com...on/9178807002/
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

On January 11, 2022, Reeves filed an appeal to the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit.

https://dockets.justia.com/docket/ci.../ca11/22-10064
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

The Middle District Court of Alabama has denied Alabama’s motion to lift Reeves’ stay of execution.

https://law.justia.com/cases/federal...0027/71849/94/

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

"There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

Senior Member CnCP Legend Mastro Titta's Avatar
    Alabama Attorney General's office just announced they will appeal to SCOTUS.

Reeves' execution could still happen 6.00pm Thursday if denied by SCOTUS. Expecting a temp stay by Justice Thomas for review.
    "How do you get drunk on death row?" - Werner Herzog

"When we get fruit, we get the juice and water. I ferment for a week! It tastes like chalk, it's nasty" - Blaine Keith Milam #999558 Texas Death Row

They aren't going to issue a temp stay when there's already a stay in place...
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Senior Member CnCP Addict
    Application to vacate injunction of execution submitted to SCOTUS.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/search....ic/21a372.html

Reeves has filed his brief to SCOTUS.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information