Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Dominique Hakim Marcelle Ray - Alabama Execution - February 7, 2019

Because it saves us from another big innocence controversy which would hurt capital punishment more than the "muh religious freedom" controversy did.
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

I've got to make sure I've got this straight. Lets say that Ray is 100 percent innocent, he had nothing to do with the crime and we know this for a fact. You would still support the execution going through and be against Ray being exonerated in case the exoneration damaged the death penalty in some way? You would be against innocent people on death row being exonerated?

No. I absolutely support exoneration. I am referring to a posthumous, post execution exoneration would be devastating.
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Okay I'm following you but surely you would support more media/ court security in questionable cases prior to execution to avoid that scenario. Doesn't that lack of attention he got beforehand raise the chance that he could be exonerated in the future if someone decides to take another look at it.

If your heavily biased in favour of the death penalty, and the courts and the media ( meant to be neutral and viewing the case in a objective light) didn't see the problems that you saw and didnt address or mention them, then isn't that concerning? I would have alarm bells the size of Big Ben ringing in my head.

I'm against the death penalty in all circumstance but if I was in favour I would definitely be pushing for more reviews in cases where there are still questions being raised about guilt even after the normal appeals have been exhausted. If there's DNA to test, test it. If a new witness comes forward, listen to what they have to say. Any delay is less detrimental to the death penalty going forward than not doing it and the inmate being exonerated after death.

I read a couple articles lately about the Ledelle Lee case and suddenly that's getting far more attention now than it ever did at the time. None of the media or the courts had any concerns about his guilt. His family are suing for the DNA to be tested. If that comes back negative after his original appeals for it to be tested were denied then that will be huge and it would of been so easily avoidable by just testing the DNA at the time.

Senior Member Frequent Poster joe_con's Avatar
    I think the best fix for an innocent person being executed is to execute the corrupt law enforcement whose questionable tactics allowed that to happen. No way it is possible for an innocent person to be executed without there being corruption from the prosecutor's office as well as the law enforcement officers investigating the crime. I would like to see the death penalty applied to those in authority whose actions cause an innocent person to be executed.

Of course it raises alarm. Reporters and people are sensationalist morons who respond to spectacle more than anything else. And the greatest spectacle here was the imam. This won't be rectified unless we can correct man's stupid nature. And we all know that can't be done.

Related:

Alabama imam banned from execution chamber loses appeal to reinstate lawsuit

By Howard Koplowitz
    AL.com

An Alabama imam who was banned from attending the executions of two death row inmates he counseled lost his appeal Friday to reverse the dismissal of his federal lawsuit against the state.

Yusef Maisonet, an imam to Muslim death row inmates Dominique Ray and Nathaniel Wood, alleged that Alabama violated his rights by barring him from attending the inmates’ executions and and advising them before their deaths in the execution chamber.

Maisonet, a volunteer chaplain at Holman Correctional Facility in Atmore, which houses Alabama’s death row inmates, was denied from attending Ray’s execution in 2019 because of a policy stating that only the official prison chaplain could offer religious advice shortly before the execution.

After Ray’s execution, Alabama’s policy changed to prevent any religious advisors from being in the execution chamber, and Maisonet was barred from attending Wood’s execution in 2020.

The lawsuit filed on Maisonet’s behalf sought to have the Alabama Department of Corrections establish a policy of allowing chaplains, including imams, into the execution chamber.

It also sought monetary damages for Maisonet.

A federal judge in Mobile said the lawsuit could not go forward because Maisonet lacked standing, a decision upheld by the 9th Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals on Friday.

“Maisonet has not alleged any ongoing or certainly impending future injury. And he cannot demonstrate that his past injuries violated clearly established law,” the three-judge panel ruled. “The district court thus correctly determined that this lawsuit cannot move forward.

https://www.al.com/news/2022/09/alab...e-lawsuit.html
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread Information