Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Alan Eugene Miller - Alabama Death Row

They will. A new death warrant was scheduled for Christopher Price within days after his warrant expired.
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Senior Member CnCP Legend Mastro Titta's Avatar
    I wouldn't be so sure. They didn't seek another death warrant for Doyle Lee Hamm after the first fiasco.
    Last edited by Mastro Titta; 09-23-2022 at 01:40 AM.

Hamm had terminal cancer though.
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

I am all broke up about Miller being afraid of needles. What a wuss.

Just because Barrett voted to uphold the injunction doesn't necessarily mean that she agreed with Miller. She might have wanted it to continue at the 11th Circuit for an possible en banc hearing. The other 3 ladies we know about.

This is the second time she did that this year. The first one was with Reeves Dave.

Senior Member Frequent Poster Steven AB's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Helen View Post
    I said from day one that Barrett would be a problem. Catholics start to worry about their soul after a while. I think it's the reason DeSantis hasn't scheduled any executions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    All sitting Republican appointed SCOTUS Judges are Catholic.
    Indeed, William Barr also is a Catholic, as was Justice Scalia. Only a few borderline Catholic Republicans are reluctant toward the death penalty.

Even if Barrett dissented in this extraordinary case, she more often votes with others against dilatory requests, and last June in Nance v. Ward she wrote a dissenting opinion with a theory very favorable to capital punishment that myself would have previously found far-fetched, and was surprised it got four votes rather than none.

And almost all Catholic Democrats support abortion.

http://www.cncpunishment.com/forums/...l=1#post138181

DeSantis has already presided over two executions, and if really he had to follow the recent popes views he should also say, among other things, that immigration is a chance for America, and that using condoms is sinful, and thus abandon politics.

http://www.cncpunishment.com/forums/...l=1#post145600

Note that Miller would be dead at this moment if Alabama had scheduled the execution for 12:01 am rather than 06:00 pm.

Or if their law had provided a one-week window in execution warrants. That would be a change to introduce in the same bill abolishing nitrogen retroactively.

http://www.cncpunishment.com/forums/...756#post138756

http://www.cncpunishment.com/forums/...710#post140710
    Last edited by Steven AB; 09-23-2022 at 10:02 AM.
    "If ever there were a case for a referendum, this is one on which the people should be allowed to express their own views and not irresponsible votes in the House of Commons." — Winston Churchill, on the death penalty

The self-styled "Death Penalty Information Center" is financed by the oligarchic European Union. — The Daily Signal

The one reporter from AL.com, Ivana something, said on Twitter that she received a statement from Marshall that said in part: "To be clear: Alan Miller will receive his just punishment, which is death by execution. He has simply succeeded in delaying—not escaping—his appointment with justice."
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Senior Member CnCP Legend Mastro Titta's Avatar
    Good, I was starting to be afraid Marshall would have pulled a Doyle Hamm.

According to what happened to Price, a new date should be asked next week, for a likely late October new execution date.

I was thinking November 10, since Price was executed 7 weeks after the original date.
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Judge: State must preserve evidence from halted execution

By KIM CHANDLER
    The Associated Press

A federal judge on Friday ordered Alabama to preserve records and medical supplies associated with a lethal injection attempt after the prison system acknowledged multiple attempts to access the inmate’s veins before calling off the execution.

U.S. District Judge R. Austin Huffaker Jr. issued the order at the request of the inmate’s lawyers who are trying to gather more information about what happened during Alabama’s attempt to execute Alan Miller, 57. Miller was sentenced to death after being convicted of a 1999 workplace rampage in which he killed Terry Jarvis, Lee Holdbrooks and Scott Yancy.

The U.S. Supreme Court cleared the way for the execution shortly after 9 p.m. Thursday and state officials said they determined at about 11:30 p.m. that the could not start the execution by a midnight deadline.

Huffaker ordered the Alabama Department of Corrections to locate and preserve all evidence related to the attempted execution, including notes, emails, texts, and used medical supplies such as syringes, swabs, scalpels, and IV-lines. He also granted a request from Miller’s attorney to visit him and photograph what they said are, “injuries from the attempted execution.”

During a Friday morning hearing conducted by telephone conference, Huffaker asked the state what was going on in the almost 150 minutes that elapsed after the Supreme Court said the execution could proceed. An attorney for the state told the judge the execution team began preparations at about 10 p.m. and made multiple attempts to connect the IV line but she did not indicate exactly how long the state tried. They stopped trying to gain venous access at about 11:20 p.m, she said.

Alabama Corrections Commissioner John Hamm told reporters early Friday morning that “accessing the veins was taking a little bit longer than we anticipated” and the state did not have sufficient time to get the execution underway by a midnight deadline.

“Due to time constraints resulting from the lateness of the court proceedings, the execution was called off once it was determined the condemned inmate’s veins could not be accessed in accordance with our protocol before the expiration of the death warrant,” Hamm said.

This is at least the third time Alabama has acknowledged problems with venous access during a lethal injection. The state’s July execution of Joe Nathan James took more than three hours to get underway. Alabama called off the 2018 execution of Doyle Hamm after being unable to establish an intravenous line.

“The Alabama Department of Corrections verges somewhere between malpractice and butchery,” said Bernard Harcourt, a lawyer who represented Doyle Hamm. “What it demonstrates is we really shouldn’t be given this incompetent bureaucrats the power over life and death.”

Miller’s execution was called off after a legal fight on whether the state lost Miller’s paperwork requesting a different execution method. When Alabama authorized nitrogen hypoxia as an execution method, state law gave inmates a brief window to request it.

Miller testified at an earlier court hearing that he wanted nitrogen because he dislikes needles and medical staff often have trouble finding a blood vessel to draw blood.

https://apnews.com/article/us-suprem...797030b06c30b0
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread Information