Thread: Sergio Robles Sentenced to 40 Years in Slaying of TX LEO Jesse Hamilton

Sergio Robles Sentenced to 40 Years in Slaying of TX LEO Jesse Hamilton

Man accused of killing officer had sued Santa Fe

A Houston man who is accused of gunning down a Pasadena police officer last week had previously sued the city of Sante Fe for police brutality.

In April the city agreed to settle the police-abuse lawsuit for $125,000. At that time Sergio Robles said he wanted the 2 police officers involved in the beating incident to be fired.

"I want to see them fired because they already done this to somebody else, and I don't want it to happen again," Robles had said.

In the federal lawsuit, Robles accused two officers of beating and spraying him with pepper spray while he was pinned to the ground on Aug. 21, 2006. That's exactly 3 years to the date of the Pasadena police officer shooting.

The city settled the lawsuit after a jury acquitted Robles of a resisting arrest charge.

On Monday, his then-lawyer, Randall Kallinen, said he was shocked when he learned Robles had been involved in Friday's incident that left Officer Jesse Hamilton dead from a gunshot wound to the head.

"It was a complete surprise," Kallinen said. "From my knowing him, I would have never expected anything like this to occur."

Kallinen said Robles, 24, was recently diagnosed as schizophrenic and was prescribed medication. He described his former client as "pretty mild-mannered."

The coincidence of Robles being involved in 2 police altercations on the same date, he said, is just that — coincidence.

"It's unbelievable," said Pasadena Police spokesman Vance Mitchell. "I can't say anything else."

Pasadena authorities said Robles shot and killed 29-year-old Hamilton during an early morning disturbance call. Hamilton was talking to Robles' mother at the front door of her trailer home on Bob Street, when Robles came to the door and fired at the officer. Another officer shot Robles seconds later, police said.

Robles' mother called police because her son had become agitated over a disturbance between he and his wife that had carried over from the night before, police said.

Robles also had just been released from Harris County Jail on a DWI charge the day before the shooting. Kallinen questioned whether Robles had received his medicine while he was jail. Harris County jail officials said they could not comment about Robles' medical history because of federal privacy laws.

Robles, who was shot in the head, remained at Memorial Hermann Hospital-Texas Medical Center on Monday. Hospital officials, however, said they could not release any information about his condition.

He has been charged with capital murder and aggravated assault.

Meanwhile, Pasadena police and Hamilton's family spent Monday preparing for his funeral. Hamilton joined the department in January 2005 and was the father of 2 girls. His services are scheduled for 10 a.m. Wednesday at Grace Community Church, 14505 Gulf Freeway in Houston.

(source: Houston Chronicle)

Sergio Robles, a diagnosed schizophrenic with a lifetime of mental illness, had two words Thursday for the family of the Pasadena police officer he killed in an August 2009 shootout: "I'm sorry."

Amy Hamilton, Jesse Hamilton's widow and the mother of the couple's two young daughters, had something more emphatic to say to Robles: "I hope your life is so miserable that you look forward to death."

Amy Hamilton's words were read by her slain husband's brother, Chance Hamilton, after Robles pleaded guilty to murder in exchange for a 40-year prison sentence in a Houston courtroom Thursday.

Hamilton, 29, was killed after being shot in the head answering a mental health call from Robles' mother. Robles also was shot and carries the bullet lodged in his head.

The 26-year-old, who could have faced the death penalty, apologized while being sentenced by state District Judge Kevin Fine in a courtroom packed with more than 70 Pasadena officers. He will have to serve at least half of the sentence before becoming eligible for parole.

Olga Garcia, Robles' mother, attended the sentencing and said she hoped Hamilton's family would forgive her son.

"This is a tragedy," she said. "I'm sorry for the Hamilton family, and I hope they forgive us."

Garcia said Robles suffered from mental illness since childhood and part of her wished that he had been killed in the shootout.

"I know that he is in heaven," Garcia said of Hamilton, "and I would have preferred that for my son, because he's going to suffer for the rest of his life."

The plea agreement was the result of two years of investigation and three mental evaluations to determine Robles' state of mind.

Was he insane or not?
    Two doctors said he was insane during the shooting and one said he was sane, a split that could have put dueling experts in front of jurors.

"The risk of going to trial was too great for either side," said Assistant Harris County District Attorney Bill Hawkins. "It wasn't an easy decision for either side, but it was a fair decision for both sides."

A career prosecutor, Hawkins said he hopes Robles dies behind bars.

"On his medication, he's a safe person," he said. "Off of his medication, he's a time bomb."

Katherine Scardino, Robles' attorney, credited Hawkins with looking at years of medical records before deciding against seeking the death penalty for the intentional killing of a peace officer.

"In any death penalty-eligible case, prosecutors want to look at mitigating evidence," Scardino said. "It this case, you have strong mitigation evidence, including mental health records indicating a severe mental disability for many years."

She said Thursday's plea was a just result.

"At some point in his lifetime, he will be eligible for parole," Scardino said. "I tried to tell him to have hope, and I hope that helps him."

Prosecutors said Robles, who had been released from jail less than 24 hours earlier, shot Hamilton in the head as the officer responded to a mental health call from Robles' mother on Aug. 21, 2009.

Robles had spent two weeks in Harris County's jail after pleading guilty to driving while intoxicated.

Scardino said Robles had been using marijuana and alcohol before he was arrested for DWI. She did not know if he had been taking his psychiatric medications before he was incarcerated.

Scardino also said Robles tested positive for drug use, which was not his schizophrenic medication, after the shooting.

After Thursday's sentencing, Robles' family said Harris County sheriff's deputies did not give Robles his medication during his 13 days in jail.

Kelly Case, one of Robles' attorneys, said his client was taking his medicine regularly, anticipating turning himself in. Case said Robles and his family brought medication, then a doctor's order to the sheriff's office, but were rebuffed.

"I've never gotten a reason why he wasn't given his medication in jail," Case said.

Asked for mental unit
    Sheriff's spokesman Alan Bernstein would not comment on Robles' case, citing medical privacy laws.

He said inmates are not allowed to bring their medications to the jail for dispensation.

Instead, he said, when inmates are processed, they are diagnosed for their issues before receiving medication.

Robles' family also said they specifically called for a mental health unit for Robles on the morning that Hamilton, who was not part of the unit, was shot.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...e/7561939.html

Jesse Hamilton.

Sergio Robles.

SID Number: 06573931 TDCJ Number: 01713356 Name: ROBLES,SERGIO Race: H Gender: M DOB: 1984-12-20 Maximum Sentence Date: 2049-08-21 Current Facility: BILL CLEMENTS Projected Release Date: 2049-08-21 Parole Eligibility Date: 2029-08-21

http://offender.tdcj.state.tx.us/POS...n?sid=06573931

Thread Information