Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Doggy Death Row

Suco
    Sadly not only the USA has Death Rows for unwanted and stray pets
    Spain and many other south- and east-european countries kill animals after a few weeks in the shelters.
    Some of them are saved by animal rescue people and find new homes in more civilized countries.

Man Who Shot, Killed Ohio K-9 Officer Jethro Sentenced to 45 Years in Prison

The man who shot and killed K-9 Officer Jethro, of the Canton Police Department in Ohio, has been sentenced to 45 years in prison.

Kelontre Barefield, 23, received the sentence after pleading guilty to charges related to the police dog's death and other charges in an unrelated robbery case, a spokeswoman for the Stark County Clerk of Courts told ABC News today.

Barefield's attorney, Steven Reisch, didn't immediately respond to ABC News' requests for comment.

Jethro was killed in January after suffering multiple gunshot wounds while responding to a burglary at a grocery store, according to Officer Eric Stanbro, head trainer of Canton PD's K-9 unit.

The death of the 3-year-old German shepherd devastated Canton PD Officer Ryan Davis, who had been Jethro's partner since he was an 8-week-old puppy.

In March, an 11-year-old girl donated all of her allowance money to help get bulletproof vests for all of the department's dogs.

"Officer Davis has received 2,000 letters since Jethro's death, and he was catching up with them over the weekend," Stanbro previously told ABC News. "He came across this girl's letter and donation, and it really touched him."

In the letter, an 11-year-old girl named Allison tells Davis, "I sorry about Jethro. So here is my allowance for the bulletproof vests. God bless you and the dogs."

On Wednesday, the Canton PD's K-9 Unit shared a video of some its dogs and handlers on Facebook "[i]n honor of Jethro's killer being sentenced to 45 years in prison."

The Canton Police Department did not immediately respond to ABC News' requests for additional comment.

https://gma.yahoo.com/man-shot-kille...opstories.html
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

It's Friday and this is somewhat related

Alpaca wanted dead by government officials doesn’t have TB, claims owner

Geronimo is facing death unless Helen can defeat officials who believe he has tuberculosis

There’s Cappuccino, Cody, Panache, Liberty, Chantelle, Madison, Jemima and even a Lady Jane Grey (so named for her regal bearing and the colour of her coat).

But if there’s one alpaca who really lives up to his quirky name in Helen Macdonald’s 75-strong herd, it’s five-year-old Geronimo.

Unlike his Native American namesake, this particular Geronimo’s ‘last stand’ is against officials from the Department for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs (Defra) who, for the past year, have been trying put him to sleep because, they claim, he has potentially deadly tuberculosis (TB), which he could pass to other animals or even humans.

Not so, says Helen, a 47-year-old veterinary nurse, who robustly maintains that they are trying to kill a healthy animal.

Geronimo, she says, is as healthy as the rest of the herd, but has been wrongly diagnosed because of a mix-up in the tests. And she is so determined to save him she has spent £20,000 on legal fees to stop Defra forcibly sending in a vet to give him a lethal injection — or a bolt between the eyes.

‘Seven times I have given Geronimo his last supper — grass pellets, which he adores,’ says Helen, who raises her herd with her elderly mother on a picturesque Cotswolds farm in the village of Wickwar, South Gloucestershire.

‘Seven times, I haven’t known whether they will come the next day and slaughter him. Every time they send me notice of a cull date, I have to prepare myself for the fact they could get a court order to come onto the farm and kill Geronimo.

‘So far on each occasion, I have managed to get my lawyer to win him a reprieve — or they have called it off — sometimes with just two hours’ notice. It’s an emotional roller-coaster and has certainly been the worst year of my life.

‘All I want is one last fair re-test so that a beautiful, healthy animal isn’t needlessly going to his death.

‘But it’s like David and Goliath — me versus a Government department that will only stick to their protocols.’

The positive test, Helen believes, is a mistake caused by Geronimo being tested for TB in New Zealand, before he was brought over to the UK last August. Before he could be transported, he was checked for TB using an older form of the test, which utilises the chemical tuberculin — a purified form of the TB bacteria — which he passed.

But Helen thinks the doses of bacteria that he’d been given for three previous tests were the reason he failed a newer type of examination when he arrived

Thankfully, today Geronimo is blissfully unaware that he is on death row, let alone that he is the most famous alpaca in the world.

Since appearing in the Daily Mail last week, two petitions supporting his cause have collected nearly 10,000 signatures. He also has his own accounts on Facebook and Twitter.

Today, as he meditatively chews on the long grass in his paddock, which is also his quarantine, Geronimo looks like a teddy bear crossed with Bambi.

Only his constantly swivelling ears, on each side of his goofy topknot, are a clue that he is wondering why he’s getting so much extra attention.

Geronimo may have been the last great Native American leader to hold out against American settlers — and have been famed for his multiple escapes, but the name also means ‘he who yawns’ in Apache.

As the afternoon rolls on, it’s clearly that this alpaca’s resistance is more of the passive kind.

Under Defra orders, he spends his days in a specially fenced paddock, to keep out badgers and other wildlife, and away from the rest of his companions, even though alpacas are herd animals who love company.

His time is spent sunbathing. ‘Alpacas spread out on their backs like starfish to get their tummies warm,’ Helen tells me. He also loves rolling in dusty patches of ground.

Yet his jet-black coat — which is one of the reasons Helen brought him to the UK for £15,000, looks as plush and velvety as a new soft toy.

Helen, who has bred alpacas for 16 years, is clearly captivated. Although I am asked to keep my distance because of the quarantine rules, she has no fear for her own health, and happily strokes and feeds him as she leads him in a collar to see me.

‘They all have distinct personalities,’ Helen says. ‘Like the others, Geronimo looks up and twitches his ears if he is called. He is a bit of a greedy one and loves to eat. He always has a smile on his face.’

His name, she explains, was a happy accident. ‘Usually I give the alpacas born here a name with the same first letter as their mum. But as I imported him, his breeder in New Zealand named him.

‘I don’t think the campaign to save him would have quite the same ring to it if she’d called him Fred.

‘I feels like this was meant to be. I am doing this not only to get accurate testing for Geronimo but also for other alpacas in this country.’

Indeed, up until about 20 years ago, alpacas were an exotic sight in the UK, seen only in petting zoos.

A mini-version of the llama, they originate from South America where they were first bred by native people for their silky coats.

In the 1500s, the invading Spanish Conquistadors slaughtered nearly 98 per cent of them. However, when a small number were found living in the mountains in the 19th century, alpacas started to be domesticated again.

From their first imports into the UK in the late 1990s, they have now grown to a population of 45,000 in herds all over the country.

A grown alpaca can produce a fleece of 5lb to 13lb in a range of a rich colours. After Helen’s herd is shorn every summer, she sends them off to be made into pashminas, scarves and pillows.

Yet alpacas are more than a business venture for Helen. She was just ten when she saw her first at a livestock show in Australia, where she lived with her family for a few years.

‘I saw some in a pen and thought they were so precious and unicorn-like. Then and there, I said I wanted to keep them when I grew up.’

By the age of 19, Helen had returned to the UK to train as a veterinary nurse. But it was not until 2002 that she spotted more alpacas at the Royal Bath & West agricultural show. Within a few months, Helen had bought her first group of three.

Soon, one of her specialities became breeding black ones and two years ago, when she started looking for a new male, she was immediately drawn to Geronimo, then living a peaceful existence on a hilly farm in New Zealand. After stringent checks, he arrived last year at 2am on a cargo plane.

Because alpacas are not classed as livestock in the same way as cattle or sheep, there was no legal obligation for Helen to test him again for TB once he arrived as he had already been given the all-clear when he left home.

But thinking she was being a responsible owner, Helen offered to give Geronimo — as well as the rest of the herd — a new kind of blood test when he arrived, which tests for seven different kinds of antigens — substances in the bloodstream that trigger an immune response — to the disease.

Every other animal passed. However, Helen says that because Geronimo had already been primed with three doses of tuberculin over the space of 24 months for the older-style test — which checks if animals develop swellings in response to a small amount of the purified bacteria — it came up with a positive result.

A few days after Geronimo was given the new blood test, Helen’s phone rang.

‘My mum answered it and then called me in floods of tears. The Defra official told her that Geronimo had TB and he would be culled the next week.’

It was no empty threat. A total of 1,684 camelids (members of the camel family), alpacas and llamas have been slaughtered in the UK because of possible TB infection since 2011. However with the help of her lawyer, Helen has so far been able to win a stay of execution after the British Alpaca Society — and the test-makers themselves — expressed concerns about whether the new tests have been carried out fairly.

Helen has also pointed out that Geronimo was given doses of tuberculin designed for cattle, even though they are ten times his weight.

‘In February, I was invited up to a meeting in London with three officials who said it was possible he came into contact with TB-infected possum in New Zealand — but it’s pure supposition.

‘All I want is one more fair test, when Geronimo has not been primed first, but they have refused to test him again until he’s dead, when it’s irreversible.’

Indeed, while Defra says it is sympathetic to Helen and Geronimo, it has so far not diverged from saying that it has ‘robust procedures’ in place to cut the risk of TB spreading.

Helen says it’s like ‘talking to a brick wall’.

‘They won’t listen. They won’t look again at the science. Geronimo has no symptoms of the disease, like coughing, or weight loss. If anything, he is putting weight on.

‘If he had TB he would have already been dead because alpacas generally die within six months of getting it. Yet they will only let us test Geronimo again when they have slaughtered him.

‘I have done everything in my power to make it easy for them to do the right thing, but Defra won’t listen. Their solution is to kill everything and write the same official letters giving me new slaughter dates.

‘I have panic attacks worrying about when the next one is going to arrive.

‘I am not asking to keep a diseased animal alive. If he tests positive this last time — when he has not been primed with tuberculin — then of course he will have to go because TB is a terrible disease.’

Now on summer’s evenings, Helen strolls out onto the pastures behind her pretty Cotswold stone farmhouse with a glass of wine.

‘I wouldn’t say alpacas are cuddly, but they do like to gather round and sit down with me as if they are around a camp fire. They are so peaceful and loving to be with.’

Helen’s herd still includes Fluffy, the 18-year-old female who was one of the first three alpacas that she bought.

As they can live for up to 20 years, Helen hopes that if she fights hard enough, Geronimo can reach the same ripe old age.

In fact, Helen is risking her livelihood on it. If she fails, on top of her legal fees, she stands to lose over £100,000 because, while the investigation continues, she is unable to buy or sell her animals.

‘Last summer, when they first said he was positive, it would have been so easy for me to say “Yes, OK, cull him”. Then I could have gone on as normal.

‘But I brought Geronimo over here from the other side of the world and the guilt that — as a result — he is now facing an early death is enormous.’

Still, in her darkest moments, Helen has been forced to imagine what it would be like if her legal fight fails — and Defra gets a warrant to come and destroy him.

‘If another test definitely finds out that Geronimo is infected, then I can’t stop it. When I first imagined that happening, I thought I could not stand to be there and watch him being put to death.

‘But then in all my years as a veterinary nurse, I remembered I have never not been with an animal when it’s been put to sleep — and it wouldn’t be fair for him to die alone either.

‘Whatever the outcome, I owe it to Geronimo to do my very best for him.

‘I won’t give up until I get him once last chance.’

http://infosurhoy.com/cocoon/saii/xh...-claims-owner/
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

JSO K9 shot, killed on Jacksonville's Westside

K9 Fang was chasing an armed carjacking suspect, JSO says

By Ronnie Rogers and Allyson Henning
    News4Jax.com

JACKSONVILLE, Fla - A Jacksonville Sheriff's Office K9 was shot and killed on the Westside while chasing an armed carjacking suspect, according to JSO.

K9 Fang was shot and killed by a carjacking suspect early Sunday.

Officers were called to a reported armed carjacking at the 7-Eleven gas station on Lem Turner Road. on the Northside, just before 2:30 a.m. Police said the suspect carjacked a red four-door car.

JSO was able to track the vehicle using OnStar. A K9 officer then conducted a traffic stop on the car at I-10 and Commerce Center Parkway on the Westside.

OnStar was able to disable the vehicle. The suspect then fled and K9 Fang was released after the person. After a brief pursuit, the dog caught up to the suspect. Several shots were fired by the suspect, killing K9, according to JSO.

No officers were injured or returned fire.

The suspect was captured by another K9 dog a short time later in a wooded area between Beaver Street and the interstate. The suspect, who has not been identified, was arrested by police.

It is a third degree felony to kill a police K9. JSO will be coordinating with the state attorneys office in regards to this case.

JSO is expected to release more information later today.

https://www.news4jax.com/news/jso-k9...illes-westside
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."

- Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Minnesota officer wounded, K-9 killed in shoot-out with suspect

By Nicole Darrah
    Fox News

A Minnesota police officer was wounded and a K-9 was killed Sunday night during a shoot-out with a suspect whom police were trying to arrest.

Officer Aaron Haller, and his K-9 Haas, of the Duluth Police Department, were responding to a report of domestic assault with a weapon with other officers when the incident occurred, authorities told Fox News on Monday.

As officers tried to negotiate with the suspect for an hour, the suspect opened fire at the officers, wounding Haller and killing Haas. An officer returned fire, and police later found the suspect dead.

Haas was "a talented Belgian Malinois was born in the Netherlands in January 2016," according to the Northland Law Enforcement K-9 Foundation's website.

The 3-year-old worked with Duluth police and his handler, Haller, since the spring of 2017. The dog was trained to sniff out drugs and evidence, and to track people down.

Haas was categorized as a "top dog" during training, as he received the highest score during his narcotics detection class, the foundation said.

"Hass will forever Rest In Peace as a hero who gave the ultimate sacrifice keeping his police officer partners safe," the police department wrote on Facebook.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/minnesota...d-in-shoot-out

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Hero Down: Bexar County Sheriff's K9 Chucky Killed By Gunman

Bexar County Sheriff's Office K9 Chucky was killed by an armed fugitive on Friday night

By Holly Matkin
    Blue Lives Matter

Bexar County, TX – Bexar County Sheriff’s Office (BCSO) K9 Chucky was killed in the line of duty on Friday night, after he was fatally shot by a suspect during a standoff.

K9 Chucky, a 5-year-old Belgian Malinois, was able to latch onto 38-year-old Matthew Reyes Mireles before Mireles shot him multiple times, KSAT reported.

The incident began at approximately 10 p.m., when Karnes City police tried to pull Mireles over for a traffic violation, Karnes County Sheriff Dwayne Villanueva said.

The suspect refused to stop, and instead led officers on a 30-minute pursuit through Karnes County, Sheriff Villanueva explained.

He also shot at the officers during the chase, KSAT reported.

Mireles then crossed into Bexar County, where he was pursued by two Texas Department of Public Safety Troopers and three BCSO deputies, Bexar County Sheriff Javier Salazar said, according to KSAT.

Mireles, who was wanted on multiple outstanding warrants, traveled at speeds of up to 100 miles per hour during the chase, WSB reported.

He also fired several rounds at the pursuing law enforcement officers, Sheriff Salazar told KSAT.

Mireles eventually stopped his truck in the area of Highway 151 and Loop 151, then jumped out and left his vehicle in reverse.

The truck rolled into a BCSO patrol car, and Mireles started walking down the highway firing rounds at police. He also pointed his weapon at passersby, a police helicopter, and himself, Sheriff Salazar said.

Due to the imminent threat Mireles posed, there was no time to outfit K9 Chucky in his ballistic vest before he was deployed, the department said.

"Chucky does have an issued vest, but was not able to wear it at the time," the agency explained. "The vest is not able to be worn at all times, due to overheating concerns and physical fatigue on the dog. It is intended to be placed on the dog in the event of a pre-planned operation.”

"This was not a pre-planned event, due to the deadly actions of the suspect placing the general public and officers on scene in danger of imminent death or serious bodily injury,” the department said. “Immediate actions had to be taken to ensure the suspect was stopped quickly.”

“The on-scene commander made the decision to deploy the dog to address a deadly immediate threat to the public and officers," the sheriff’s office statement read. "It does not appear the handler had an opportunity to put body armor on Chucky before the deployment."

K9 Chucky raced in and bit down on the gunman, who shot him several times, Sheriff Salazar said.

He died at the scene, WSB reported.

Officers opened fire on Mireles, hitting him in his lower extremities, according to KSAT.

He was taken to University Hospital in critical condition, and has since been charged with attempted capital murder of a police officer, interfering with a police service animal, evading arrest with a vehicle, and aggravated assault against a public servant.

Mireles has an extensive arrest history, including charges of theft, assault, driving while intoxicated, assault on a public servant, possession of a controlled substance, assault with a deadly weapon, and evading arrest, among others, KSAT reported.

He has also served several stints in prison over the years.

Sheriff Salazar said that K9 Chucky’s human partner was struggling to find the words to break the news of K9 Chucky’s death to his family, KSAT reported.

“It's a heartbreaking situation and these dogs are part of our family. They are deputies, as well,” Sheriff Salazar said, according to WSB. “Chucky went out doing what he was brought here to do, to save lives. And he undoubtedly saved lives with what he was able to accomplish in his last moments.”

Early Saturday morning, a procession of law enforcement vehicles escorted K9 Chucky’s body from the scene to Becker Animal Hospital, KSAT reported.

“We are deeply saddened for our fallen K9 Deputy Chucky, and for his handler, his human family, and the rest of the K9 unit,” the BCSO said in a Facebook post on Saturday.

The department plans to bury K9 Chucky with full honors.

https://defensemaven.io/bluelivesmat...EmdT88MF8i9pw/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Rockland Pilot Helps Death Row Dogs Get Chartered Flights To New Families

In the back is a 10-year-old pug, Rocco, whose family listed him on Craigslist "like a piece of furniture," said Pagano, a longtime detective with the Paramus Police Department.

Pagano and Davie met Rocco Memorial Day Weekend at an Ohio airport, and flew him to an airport in upstate New York, where he was united with his new forever family.

The pug was calm and happy for the duration of the flight, as if he knew his life was changing for the better, Pagano said.

Rocco is one of a handful of dogs Pagano has flown to safety since becoming involved with the animal rescue organization, Pilots N Paws.

Pagano has been flying since he was 8 years old, when his uncle took him. He became a certified private pilot in 2013. Two years later, he met Davies, of Stony Point -- a commercial pilot with nearly 40 years of experience under his belt.

Davies, who flies a Comanche, knew someone selling the same one. The deal was if Pagano bought it, Davies would take care of all the maintenance. Long story short, Pagano bought the jet and secured the hanger next to Davies'.

The two became fast friends. Davies taught Pagano everything he knew.

"I get a good feeling out of being able to help someone out," he said, "just out of aviation."

First, they bonded over flying. Then came animals.

Pagano, who has adopted two rescue dogs of his own, found Pilots and Paws two years ago.

"I saw them on social media and thought, 'I'd love to do that, instead of burning holes in the sky looking for an airport to land at for a sandwich," Pagano said. "'Let me take the plane out and rescue dogs. What better of a way'"

Davies was on board right away.

"We're two people who love animals and love aviation," the detective said. "You combine, that you have the pinnacle of good."

A rescue will pull a dog from an abusive situation or locate one moments before it's set to be euthanized at a kill shelter. It's not unusual for foster or adoptive families to live states away.

When a dog is ready for long-distance transport, the rescue organization will reach out to Pilots N Paws, which sends an email alert to pilots across the U.S. The pilots then commit to a leg of a trip.

"Usually, dogs are coming at the 11th hour," Pagano said. "Pilots meet up with each other to hand off the dogs. We see a lot coming from Ohio or Chicago -- there seems to be less regard for animals in the western and southern states -- and more adopters on the East Coast."

Once committed to a flight leg, pilots meet up with each other at airports to hand off the dogs.

"We’ll walk them, give them water, talk to them pet them," Davie said. "Then they’re at ease. I don’t think we’ve ever had a dog that’s uptight about flying."

Pagano and Davie -- who take turns using each other's jets -- are usually the last connecting flight, flying out to meet other pilots in Pennsylvania to bring a dog to Albany, NY, Vermont, Connecticut or Massachusetts.

Rocco was the most recent transport. Others include Ellie -- Pagano's favorite -- a senior mastiff dog he and Davie flew last January. Then there was Pumpkin, who was scheduled for euthanasia, and Bambino, who Pagano scooped up from a kill shelter in Kentucky.

"All these dogs come with their own personalities," Pagano said. "They know they’re safe when they’re in the plane. They know they’re with good people. They usually fall asleep after looking out the window.

"They usually look around, sniff, and then after a while -- with the drone of the engine -- they settle right down and go to sleep."

COVID-19 had a silver lining for the animal transport business, Pagano said.

"Because many pilots being furloughed, many of them are looking for something to do.

"Two minutes after a Pilots N Paws email goes out, there are five pilots who answered saying they could cover different legs of the trip. Just like that, the entire trip was covered.

"Now you have all these dogs getting rides out," he said. "It’s so fantastic."

Pilots N Paws is something Pagano says he'll do as long as he can.

"It’s such positive momentum," he said. "It’s such good energy when you’re doing something like this.

"You can’t put your feeling into words to help these dogs out. If we can all do something good for God's beings before we check out, we're way ahed of the game."

https://dailyvoice.com/new-york/rama...milies/788793/

Greg Kelly barks at Joe Biden's pets again, says Champ and Major aren't rescue dogs: 'Neither was on death row'

Newsmax anchor Greg Kelly continued his tirade against President Joe Biden’s dogs on Saturday, saying that neither dog was on “death row”. Kelly tweeted, “Fake news pushing Pro-Biden FASLE NARRATIVE (again) that Joe ‘saved Champ and Major’s lives’ because they were Rescue dogs. WRONG! Joe BOUGHT CHAMP Dog from a BREEDER. MAJOR came from the Delaware Humane Association. A ‘No-Kill’ facility. Neither dog was on ‘Death Row’!!”

On Friday, Kelly said President Biden's dog, a German Shepherd named Champ, looks "like it's from the junkyard", during his live segment 'Greg Kelly Reports'. "Did you see the dog? I wanted to show you something I noticed. Doesn't he look a little rough? I love dogs, but this dog needs a bath and a comb and all kinds of love and care. I've never seen a dog in the White House like this. I remember Buddy, I remember Milly, I remember lots of dogs, but not a dog who seems -- I don't know. I don't know how much love and care he is getting. This dog looks like, I'm sorry -- like it's from the junkyard," Kelly said.

Kelly then turned to his guests, including presidential historian and Ronald Reagan biographer Craig Shirley, asking for their thoughts on Biden's canine. Shirley said Champ looks "dirty and disheveled" and "unlike a presidential dog." The conservative media house, following that, came under fire for Greg Kelly's remarks.

Newscaster Brian Williams even brought it up on his MSNBC show. “Think of it this way: If Champ were to meet Greg Kelly, he would probably love Greg Kelly unconditionally,” Williams said. “That’s what dogs do. It’s probably also why there are no dogs anchoring Newsmax.”

Champ arrived in the Biden household in 2008. As per reports, the name has sentimental significance for Biden, whose dad always told him growing up, "Get up champ," whenever he was having a tough time. Biden picked out the male German shepherd from a breeder in Chester County, Pennsylvania. He was promised the post-election dog by his wife, Jill, who would tape pictures of different dogs on the back of the seat in front of Biden on his campaign plane.

Major is the first dog to go from a shelter -- run by the Delaware Humane Association -- to the White House. Major was born as part of a litter of six German shepherd puppies at the shelter in early 2018. At the time, however, the pups were in a medical crisis. "They were very sick," Patrick Carroll, executive director of the Delaware Humane Association, told the press. "They had gotten into a toxic substance. We're not sure what. The dogs were lethargic, vomiting, and hospitalized for a few days," Carrol added.

However, the pups soon recovered with fluids and medication, and the shelter posted to Facebook in March 2018 in search of foster homes for them. Ashley Biden subsequently sent the post to her father, according to Carroll, as she knew he was looking for a companion for the elderly Champ. Major went on to become an indispensable part of the Biden family. In November 2020, Biden fractured his foot while playing with the young dog.

https://meaww.com/newsmax-greg-kelly...dogs-death-row

Related

August 31, 2021

Geronimo the alpaca killed by government vets 'to prevent spread of disease'

Geronimo the alpaca has been killed by government vets "to prevent the spread of disease".

The animal was put down after being taken from its farm in Gloucestershire, days before a destruction warrant ordering its death was due to expire on 4 September.

The alpaca had twice tested positive for bovine tuberculosis and was at the centre of a campaign and legal battle to save its life.

A statement by the government said: "bTB-positive alpaca known as 'Geronimo' has been euthanised to prevent the spread of disease."

Chief veterinary officer Christine Middlemiss called it a "terribly sad situation" and said "our sympathies remain with all those affected by this devastating disease".

She added: "No one wants to have to cull infected animals if it can be avoided, but we need to follow the scientific evidence and cull animals that have tested positive for bTB to minimise spread of this insidious disease and ultimately eradicate the biggest threat to animal health in this country.

"Not only is this essential to protect the livelihoods of our farming industry and rural communities, but it is also necessary avoid more TB cases in humans."

Geronimo's owner Helen Macdonald, who disputes the animal had the disease, said she feels "betrayed by this country" following the culling of her alpaca.

"My understanding was that [government officials] had the right to come and destroy Geronimo however they felt appropriate," she said.

"They did not have the right to drag him into a horsebox and drive him away, on his own, without his companions. They rounded up the rest of them and stressed them all out, then they dragged and took him away.

"That's not animal welfare, that's animal cruelty."

Downing Street has expressed sympathy for the animal and its owner.

The prime minister's official spokesman said: "It's obviously highly distressing for someone to lose animals to TB and that's a situation that farmers sadly have to face.

"Our sympathies are with Ms Macdonald and any others that are affected by this terrible disease."

Around 20 Avon and Somerset Police officers arrived at the site in Wickwar, South Gloucestershire at 10.45am this morning, alongside three people dressed in blue overalls, masks and goggles.

A trailer left the farm at 11.20am and, by 12.40pm, the Department of Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) confirmed that the animal had been euthanised by staff from the Animal and Plant Health Agency (APHA).

Other alpacas on the farm, which are not in the same pen, gathered nearby after the officers arrived before running off to another part of the farm.

After Geronimo was taken away Ms Macdonald said she was "absolutely devastated". She was not present when the animal was removed.

"I would have been prosecuted for obstruction if I failed to catch Geronimo myself," she said.

"I am not going to put my hands on a healthy animal and allow the government to murder him."

She claimed the government manipulated Geronimo's tests "to suit their agenda", adding that she was "absolutely disgusted" with them.

Supporters have been camping out at the farm for weeks in case officials from defra arrived to destroy the alpaca.

Some spoke to officers this morning. Liz Stacey was briefly arrested after spraying officers with a water pistol, but was quickly de-arrested.

She told Sky News: "The police arrived in force. It was a totally disproportionate… they were determined to carry out that this heinous crime, you know, there was no way that Geronimo had TB.

"For four years [he's been a] healthy, happy animal on this farm. And it was just disgusting."

A force spokesman said: "We can confirm officers are in attendance at a farm in the Wickwar area of South Gloucestershire this morning to support the Animal and Plant Health Agency, who are executing a court warrant.

"We'll always support our partner agencies to carry out their lawful duties, and our role is to prevent a breach of the peace and to ensure public safety is protected."

Ms Macdonald's legal fight to save her animal has been ongoing since the alpaca first tested positive for bovine tuberculosis in September 2017.

She argued that the Enferplex test used on Geronmio was fundamentally flawed and said it tested positive because it had repeatedly been primed with tuberculin - a purified protein derivative of bovine TB bacteria.

The veterinary nurse, who farms alpacas at her home, received support from around the world - with more than 140,000 people signing a petition against Geronimo's destruction.

Earlier this month, a High Court judge refused her lawyer's application for a temporary injunction to stop the destruction order and reopen the case.

As well as alpacas, badgers have been a victim of the fight against bovine TB, with mass culling employed to stop the spread since 2013, sparking a huge public backlash.

Defra said a post-mortem examination of Geronimo will now be carried out by veterinary pathologists from APHA, followed by a bacteriological culture of selected tissue samples, which can take up to three months to process.

However, Ms Macdonald wants Defra to allow an independent witness at the alpaca's post-mortem examination to confirm whether the animal had bovine tuberculosis.

Meanwhile, Communities Secretary Robert Jenrick told reporters: "Well, for all of us who love animals, of course it is very sad to see any animal have to be put down in this manner.

"But it is really important that we uphold rules to keep TB at bay in this country because that is the way we will protect many, many more animals and livestock across the country."

https://news.sky.com/story/geronimo-...sease-12395756
    "How do you get drunk on death row?" - Werner Herzog

"When we get fruit, we get the juice and water. I ferment for a week! It tastes like chalk, it's nasty" - Blaine Keith Milam #999558 Texas Death Row

Autopsy of Geronimo the alpaca concluded that the animal did not have bovine tuberculosis at the time when he was put down. Geronimo will be cremated early 2022.
    "How do you get drunk on death row?" - Werner Herzog

"When we get fruit, we get the juice and water. I ferment for a week! It tastes like chalk, it's nasty" - Blaine Keith Milam #999558 Texas Death Row

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread Information