Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Michael John Parrish - Pennsylvania Death Row

Michael John Parrish - Pennsylvania Death Row

Michael John Parrish

July 7, 2009

Police looking for Effort man in Chestnuthill fatal shootings of girlfriend, son

Police are looking for Michael John Parrish, 23, a suspect in Monday night's fatal shootings of Victoria Marie Adams, 21, and Sidney Michael Parrish, 2, in the house on Route 115, just north of Gilbert Road, in Chestnuthill Township.

At 11:05 p.m. Monday, state police at Fern Ridge got a call about gunshots being fired at that location, where Parrish had been living with Adams and the toddler, according to a police affidavit.

Police looking for Effort man in Chestnuthill fatal shootings of girlfriend, son

At 11:14 p.m., James Ahern, 21, of Effort contacted police and told them the following:

He arrived at Parrish's home earlier that night and dropped off Adams and the boy. Parrish approached him, pointed what Ahern believed to be a 9 mm handgun at him and fired.

Ahern fled the scene unharmed, went to a friend's house and called police. He didn't know what happened to Adams and the boy after he fled.

Police later arrived at the home and found Adams and the toddler dead. Parrish had left.

Police were joined on scene Tuesday morning by detectives from the Monroe County District Attorney's Office.

At about 9:30 a.m., investigators helped the county Coroner's Office remove the victims' bodies, Adams in a body bag and the toddler wrapped in a white sheet, from the two-story multi-family dwelling.

Police stopped traffic both ways until the bodies were placed in back of the coroner's van. One motorist wept with her hand covering her mouth and wiped her eyes as she saw the bodies taken out and placed in the van.

Jared Ulrich, who lives nearby on Route 115, said his father went to bed at about 9:30 p.m. Monday, woke up sometime later to what sounded like firecrackers and then went back to sleep. Ulrich arrived home at about 11:30 p.m. and saw police cars swarming the area.

"The cops had their guns out and they were searching the area," he said. "Once they found out I lived here, they ordered me to get inside my house and stay inside."

Declining to give her name, another neighbor on Route 115 said she, too, heard loud noises like firecrackers and looked out of her window.

She saw a car heading south on 115, away from the house where the murders occurred, but couldn't get a description or license plate because it was dark outside. She wasn't sure if the car had stopped at the house or was passing by.

Neighbor Lyle Metzgar said it's not unusual to hear gunshots nearby because of shooting ranges in the area.

"I didn't know what was going on until this morning," Metzgar said. "I heard reporters saying they heard a woman and child had been shot. Who would want to shoot a child?"

None of the neighbors interviewed knew the victims or anything about them. Anyone with information on Parrish's whereabouts is asked to call police at (570) 646-2271.

http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbc...NEWS/307079987

July 10, 2009

Father arrested in fatal shooting of girlfriend, 2- year-old son in Chestnuthill Township

UPDATE, 9:30 a.m. Police have arrested Michael John Parrish without incident in New Hampshire.

Accused double-murderer Parrish mails jailhouse confession to victim's mother

Guilt, regret and pleas for forgiveness bind a rambling, four-page, jailhouse letter accused killer Michael Parrish sent to his victims' mother and grandmother. And the letter, now in the hands of police, provides a glimpse of why he might have committed the crime.

Read the letter (PDF)

"I don't know where to begin. My actions are absolutely unforgivable," Parrish, 23, wrote to Kim Adams on Aug. 5. Adams is the mother of Victoria Adams, 21, and grandmother of Sidney Parrish, 18 months. Mother and son were shot to death July 6 in the Effort apartment they shared with Parrish, who faces the death penalty if convicted of the crimes. Parrish was Sidney's father and Victoria's boyfriend.

Some witnesses suggested Parrish flew into a jealous rage when Victoria returned home after leaving him with their medically dependant son while she partied with her brother and cousin.

He all but admits to the murders while expressing his fondness for his girlfriend.

"I never did tell Victoria how great she was as much as I should have. And now, because of my foolish, unforgivable actions I will never have the chance to again," he wrote.

Parrish blamed his lack of forgiveness for some of his problems.

"When we Parrish and mother Kim Adams) got into a fight the one night I felt really bad, as did Victoria. We didn't speak for a long time which was stupid now that I look back on things. That has always been a problem with myself, holding a grudge," he wrote.

And his feelings of guilt were undeniable.

"Whatever punishment I receive will never be enough! Taking Victoria and Sidney's life is unforgivable. The fact that I am still alive is a sin," he wrote.

Parrish also expressed his admiration for Kim Adams.

"Kim, just in general, you are a kind hearted caring person who helps whoever you can. I wish I could have told you this face to face. However, I never did because I was always an unsocial prick who didn't want to be bothered. I'm such an ungrateful bastard when I really think about it!" he wrote.

Parrish blamed his poor relationship with his family for some of his behavior.

"I was never close with my family and I think that is why I acted the way I did towards you. Because in my mind I was jealous that I never had the relationship with my mother like you and Victoria had."

In one haunting passage, Parrish tried to tell Adams he didn't know the reasons for his actions. But in doing so, he may have uncovered the real explanation.

"I know you want to know why did I do what I did. The answer I will give you is one I know you will not like but it's the truth. I don't know why I did it. My emotions overcame me," Parrish wrote.

Parrish also wrote that he was wrong to try to control Victoria's behavior, particularly concerning alcohol.

And Parrish said he wished he could undo what had occurred.

"If I could only turn back the hands of time, how different things would be Kim," he wrote.

Prosecutors said they would seek the death penalty against Parrish. But in his letter, Parrish said it wasn't enough.

"Even if I get the death penalty, that's not enough punishment. I feel so sick they are even having a trial. I should be punished right away."

And in a final admission, Parrish wrote, "I took your only daughter and grandson from you. I wish there was a way to change everything."

The authenticity of the letter was verified by Trooper Eric Temarantz of the Pennsylvania State Police in Fern Ridge, who is investigating the homicides.

"It's definitely real. It will be used as part of his case," he said.

Parrish's lawyer, public defender William Sayer, had no comment.

Parrish, a former corrections officer at the Monroe County Correctional Facility, is being held at the Carbon County Correctional Facility in Nesquehoning. Parrish was on a strict suicide watch after the announcement of the prosecution's intention to seek the death penalty.

"He was very despondent and emotionally flat after he learned about the death penalty," the jail's warden, James Younkin, said.

During the watch, Parrish wore an "anti-suicide smock," a garment that an inmate can't rip, tear or burn.

But he was just taken off the strict suicide watch to a lesser one based on the recommendation of a physician who examined him, according to the warden.

"He just saw a doctor on Friday. The doctor took him off the suicide watch. He's on a watch, on a suicide watch. But not a restrictive type of suicide watch," he said.

But Younkin hadn't seen the letter written by Parrish. The contents of outgoing mail are not screened at the jail.

The letter carried the customary correctional facility stamp. Kim Adams said she received it Aug. 7.

"I gave a copy immediately to the detective," she said.

How did she react when the letter arrived? "I started shaking. I was so angry. How could they allow this letter to come to me. The gall of him even asking ..." she said.

And Victoria Adams' father, Malcolm Adams, fears reprisals from Conrad Jankowski, 23, of Newfoundland. Jankowski was arrested with Parrish in New Hampshire and charged with hindering the police apprehension of Parrish by helping him flee the area. His bail was set at $100,000 secured, and a bail reduction hearing is scheduled for today.

Malcolm Adams is also worried that someone else may have helped Parrish get the letter delivered to his ex-wife, Kim.

My daughter didn't even know Kim Adams' mailing address). The actual physical mailing address. She didn't even know how to drive there," he said.

http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbc...NEWS/909020329

Parrish attempts to kill himself in Carbon County jail

Michael Parrish, accused of the shooting deaths of his girlfriend and 18-month-old son in their home July 6, attempted suicide Tuesday, according to Monroe County Correctional Facility acting warden Donna Asure.

Parrish, a former corrections officer for the Monroe County Correctional Facility in Snydersville, was being housed at the Carbon County facility since his arrest.

The warden at Carbon, James Younkin, said Parrish became ill Tuesday morning.

"We found him just not responding to our verbal commands. Most of his vitals were sound, but we were still concerned," Younkin said.

Asure wouldn't go into details, but said, "He was nonresponsive. A suicide attempt) is what we believe happened." He was sent by ambulance to St. Luke's Miners Memorial Hospital in Coaldale. The hospital ran tests and transferred him to Pocono Medical Center on Tuesday night.

"Carbon acted totally appropriately," Asure said.

Parrish was on a suicide watch at the Carbon jail.

"He was on our booking unit that's manned 24 hours a day and seen by officers around the clock. He was seen by mental health people regularly. We spoke to him the day before and he was fine — his spirits were fine. Based on our contact with him we didn't see any signs," Younkin said.

He will be released to prison today; however, the Carbon County jail won't take him back as a prisoner.

"When you take transfers from other hospitals, you take transfers that are not a headache for you," Younkin said.

Parrish had been taken ill to the hospital a couple of months ago, and was returned to the Carbon County jail the same day. Younkin added that other than the two hospitalizations, Parrish hasn't been a problem at the jail.

Parrish is accused of killing Victoria Adams, 21, and their son, Sidney Parrish, in a jealous rage when Adams arrived home late on a night she spent with her cousin, brother and friend.

Malcolm Adams, the father and grandfather of the victims, felt no sadness over the apparent attempted suicide.

"Good. I'm sorry it was a failed attempt. I want to see him go to trial, but if he outed himself, oh well. I've got no love for the man," Adams said.

The victim's mother, Kim Adams, echoed Malcolm Adams' feelings.

"He failed his attempt. I wish he would have been successful), but in a way I'm glad he didn't so he could suffer through his life this way. I don't have my daughter or grandson. Let him think about what he did," she said.

Kim Adams finds her grief worsening since the loss of her daughter and grandson. "It gets harder as the days pass because you miss them more. This would be Sidney's first Halloween that he'd remember," she said.

Sidney was born with a heart defect and required a transplant when he was a year old. He spent his first year of life hospitalized.

Asure stressed that Parrish is really Monroe County's responsibility and she thanked Carbon officials for their cooperation.

She said Parrish would be housed at the Monroe County Correctional Facility, where he worked not long ago, until other arrangements can be made.

"I'll be working with security and medical staffs to see he's put in an appropriate location," she said.

http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbc...NEWS/910220330

The grave marker of Victoria Adams and Sidney Parrish in Stroudsburg on Friday, Jan. 29, 2010. The mother and son were murdered in their home.

Father of Victoria Adams says he wasn't told important details after slaying

For the family of Victoria Adams and Sidney Parrish, witnessing justice may be their only salvation.

But the father of Michael Parrish's alleged slaying victims said he was left out of the loop when Parrish's getaway accomplice, Conrad Jankowski, pleaded guilty Jan. 5 to helping Parrish flee to New Hampshire. The duo was apprehended the next day.

But Malcolm Adams, father of Victoria Adams and her son, Sidney, was never told about the sentencing date.

"This whole thing stinks. Why have I not been notified of any hearings from the victim services? Why do I have to hear what's going on secondhand?" Malcolm Adams said.

Jankowski pleaded guilty to helping Michael Parrish, 23, of Chestnuthill Township, leave the scene after Parrish allegedly shot and killed his girlfriend, Victoria Adams, 21, and their son, Sidney, 18 months, in their home on July 6.

It may just be a case of miscommunication, though. According to the District Attorney, the victim's mother, Kim Adams, was told about the date but probably never told her former husband, Malcolm.

"I would respectfully disagree with any suggestion that the DA's office didn't keep the family up to date with the status of both cases," Monroe County District Attorney Dave Christine said.

He said he personally told Kim Adams, in December, that Jankowski would be pleading to the one charge filed against him. "That date was provided to her. And she did turn up in the courthouse," he said.

It's usually up to the Office of Victims Services to keep families apprised of court dates. The office is run by Maureen Egley, who started the program in 1990.

"I felt that there were a lot of victims that weren't being served at all prior to the service's existence," she said.

The office makes a wide range of help available to victims.

"We're here to provide court accompaniment, supportive counseling, information and referrals to social service agencies, notifications of court hearings when we have the availability of prior notice, help them with victim's impact statements."

Egly wrote Adams on Jan. 8, informing him of Jankowski's March 3 sentencing date. She also encouraged him to write a victim impact statement for the sentencing judge for the pre-sentencing report.

"I don't even know what judge to send this to. All I know is they need an impact statement. This is a crime in itself," Malcolm Adams said.

Adams complained to Gov. Ed Rendell's office, and received a letter Jan. 25 from B.J. Horn, director of the Office of Victims' Services for the state. Horn admitted the mistake but said it couldn't be helped.

"In speaking with the Victim Witness coordinator, it was noted that the information on the proceeding was not provided to her before the time of the plea agreement," Horn wrote. "The coordination of the information between the District Attorney's office and the Victim Witness coordinator was discussed, and every effort will be made to obtain the information in a timely fashion in order to contact the family members before the proceedings in the future. However, it should be noted that this information is not always available beforehand."

The state's Office of the Victim Advocate represents the rights and interests of crime victims. But its work is focused on the post-sentencing period, when a felon is before the Board of Probation and Parole and the Department of Corrections.

Although Egley works hard to aid victims and their families, sometimes things don't work the way she'd like.

"The court system isn't perfect — sometimes things get put on a court docket at the last minute. It's hard to please everybody, especially when someone has lost a loved one. We do the best we can with the information we are provided with," she said.

Meanwhile, Malcolm Adams wrote an impassioned plea to the judge responsible for sentencing Conrad Jankowski. In it, he said:

"Conrad was a Michael Parrish idol. He would do what ever Michael would say, they are one, please don't fall for he did not know what he was doing, . . . Your Honor, please invoke the maximum sentence allowed."

The district attorney has said he would seek the death penalty for Parrish since the crime involved a double slaying as well as the killing of a child under the age of 12.

http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbc...1/NEWS/2010321

Judge rejects Effort double-murderer's guilty plea

An Effort man wanted to avoid a trial, plead guilty and be executed on two counts of first-degree murder for fatally shooting his girlfriend and their baby son.

But because Michael Parrish, at his attorney's request, revealed certain details about his state of mind and the circumstances surrounding the July 6 murders of Victoria Adams, 21, and 18-month-old Sidney Parrish, Monroe County President Judge Ronald Vican on Wednesday rejected Parrish's guilty plea and scheduled a trial, the very thing Parrish had been hoping to avoid.

Now it could take years before Parrish's case winds through the justice system, because he'll have to get a new lawyer and an out-of-county jury, along with all the preparation needed to try a death penalty case.

In court Wednesday, when Deputy Chief Public Defender William Sayer began asking Parrish about what happened on the night of July 6, First Assistant District Attorney Michael Mancuso objected, saying Sayer's line of questioning went beyond the scope of what was supposed to be a guilty plea proceeding. Mancuso objected also to what seemed like an attempt, through Sayer's questions and Parrish's answers, to justify Adams' murder by impugning her character.

Sayer said he was merely trying to show what Parrish was thinking and feeling at that time of the shootings.

Vican allowed Sayer to proceed in asking Parrish to tell his story.

Parrish, 24, said he shot Adams in a blinding, jealous rage because he suspected she had been cheating on him. Feeling his "life was over" at that point, he then shot Sidney.

He gave the following account:

Adams had gone out that night, leaving Parrish home alone with Sidney.

Sidney had been prescribed medication after a heart transplant and was due for a certain dosage of that medication at 8 p.m. Parrish had been calling Adams repeatedly by phone to find out how much medication he should give Sidney, but Adams hadn't answered.

Adams arrived home at 11 p.m., getting out of a car occupied by three males. She had on clothes different from what she had been wearing when she left, her lipstick was smeared and her hair was disheveled.

Parrish questioned Adams, he said she laughed, mocking him.

Parrish had his .357-caliber handgun on him at the time because he had been planning to go out himself that night and always took his gun along. When Adams laughed at him, he pulled his gun and fired a shot into the ceiling.

"What are you gonna do, shoot me?" she asked, holding Sidney in her arms.

In a rage, Parrish then shot Adams and the baby multiple times.

He said he would have then shot himself, but at that point the rage had passed. He later called his friend, Conrad Jankowski, to come drive him away from the scene. Jankowski has since pleaded guilty and been sentenced for hindering apprehension.

Vican viewed Parrish's "blinding, jealous rage" account as a defense argument more appropriate for a trial. By law, if a defendant pleads guilty and then gives testimony that the judge views as a defense argument, the judge must reject the guilty plea and schedule a trial.

Upon hearing Vican's pronouncement, an angry Parrish turned on Sayer.

"Your Honor, if this was some clever ploy by my attorney to undermine my guilty plea, it's not what I wanted," Parrish told Vican.

"You're incompetent, absolutely incompetent," he told Sayer while being led from the courtroom.

Sayer and assistant counsel James Gregor declined to comment afterward, as did Mancuso and District Attorney David Christine.

Adams' family, who had been expecting at least some sense of closure with Parrish's guilty plea, said they were disappointed and shocked.

"'Angry' isn't the word for how we feel right now," said Adams' aunt, Anne Adams Wagner. "I'm outraged. His lawyer just screwed that up. He tried to justify killing a mother and child, but how do you justify something like that? Now we have to sit through a trial, and that's going to be hard."

Adams' father, Malcolm Adams, called Parrish "a creep" and hopes the family finally will have some closure with a jury conviction.

Prior to Wednesday, Parrish had been evaluated by psychologist John Abbruzzese Jr. and deemed mentally competent to enter a guilty plea. Parrish accepted responsibility for the murders and said he "deserves to die," according to Abbruzzese.

Parrish himself said this earlier in Wednesday's proceeding, adding that he knew what he was pleading to, understood the penalties of execution or life without parole and that no one was forcing or coercing him in his desire to plead guilty.

He even asked if he could request the court skip the presentation of mitigating circumstances during his presentencing hearing. The defense can present mitigating circumstances as an argument for a less severe penalty to be imposed. These mitigators might include the defendant having been abused or neglected as a child or having no prior criminal record.

The prosecution in turn has the burden of presenting aggravating circumstances to argue for a more severe penalty. Aggravators might include a defendant being a repeat or multiple offender.

If a murder case in which the prosecution is seeking the death penalty goes to trial, the trial has two phases.

The jury in the first phase determines guilt or innocence and, if finding guilt, decides in the second phase if the defendant should be executed or serve life in prison without the parole. Aggravating and mitigating factors are presented in the second phase.

http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbc...2/NEWS/4220328

July 19, 2010

Second time around: Michael Parrish pleads guilty to killing girlfriend, son

Michael Parrish pleaded guilty today to killing his live-in girlfriend and their infant son in July 2009.

Parrish pleaded to two counts of first degree murder in the deaths of Victoria Adams, 23, and Sidney Parrish, 18 months old, in the Chestnuthill Township apartment they shared.

Asked why he was pleading guilty, Parrish said “because there's no doubt I committed the crime.”

It was Parrish's second attempt to plead guilty to the charges. In April, Judge Vican refused to accept his plea after questioning by Parrish's own attorney led Parrish to give an explanation of the crime the judge felt was inconsistent with first degree murder.

Parrish faces a maximum punishment of the death penalty and a minimum of life in prison. He acknowledged that before entering his plea.

The victims' family members wept silently as they exited the courtroom.

http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbc...NEWS/100719846

December 14, 2010

Death penalty hearings for Parrish postponed

The two-day penalty phase proceedings for Michael Parrish, which had been scheduled for Wednesday and Thursday, have been continued to a future date, the District Attorney's Office said Tuesday.

Parrish, 25, pleaded guilty to two counts of first-degree murder for fatally shooting his 23-year-old live-in girlfriend, Victoria Adams, and their 18-month-old son, Sidney Parrish, in their Chestnuthill Township home in July 2009. Parrish's attorney, James Gregor of the Public Defender's Office, was unavailable Tuesday to say why he requested the penalty phase be continued.

Originally scheduled for August, the penalty phase is the procedure in a murder case where the defendant has been convicted and the prosecution is seeking the death penalty.

It is the opportunity for the prosecution to present any testimony and evidence showing why the defendant should be executed, and for the defense to show why the defendant should be spared execution and sentenced instead to life in prison without parole.

A jury will not be present for the penalty phase in this case since there was no jury trial. Monroe County President Judge Ronald Vican, after hearing from both sides, will decide Parrish's fate.

Parrish, unlike defendants in most other death penalty cases, wants to be executed.

Parrish shot Adams and Sidney Parrish with a .357-caliber handgun after Adams returned home from a night out with friends. Michael Parrish had been home caring for the special needs of Sidney, who had a heart transplant eight months before and required constant medication and attention.

Parrish said he believed his girlfriend had been cheating on him. He fled the scene with the help of his friend, Conrad Jankowski, and later was arrested in another state. Jankowski later pleaded guilty to hindering apprehension and was sentenced to six to 23 months in Monroe County Correctional Facility.

http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbc...NEWS/101219911

Michael Parrish, 25, of Effort, is scheduled for a two-day penalty phase hearing March 28 and 29, at the end of which Parrish will be sentenced to either death or life in prison without parole.

Parrish, 25, has pleaded guilty to two counts of first-degree murder for fatally shooting his 23-year-old live-in girlfriend, Victoria Adams, and their 18-month-old son, Sidney Parrish, in their Chestnuthill Township home in July 2009. Parrish said he shot Adams and their baby in a fit of jealous rage because he believed she had been cheating on him.

Two years after daughter and grandson murdered, Kim Adams wants closure

A furry toy lay next to the gravestone, its plastic wrapping tarnished and opaque from years of exposure to the elements. But time has yet to dull Kim Adams' pain.

Today is the second anniversary of the murders of her daughter, Victoria, 23, and 19-month-old grandson Sidney. The pair were shot to death by Sidney's biological father, Michael Parrish, in a fit of rage on July 6, 2009, in their Effort apartment.

"I can't move on," Adams said. "I want this to be over with. I want him to be sentenced already, and then maybe we can have some closure."

Parrish pleaded guilty to two counts of murder in the first degree in July 2010. Parrish could get the death penalty since his crimes involved multiple murders and included a victim under 13. He is scheduled to be sentenced July 25.

The wait has been tough for Victoria's family.

"Do you know what it's like to go into a court and see the murderer of your child? It's unbearable," Adams said.

Victoria Adams spent the last day of her life with her mother, celebrating her mom's birthday. Then Victoria met her brother, Keith, and their cousin, Jimmy, for an evening out. When she returned home at 11 p.m. to give Sidney his medicine, Michael went into a rage, accusing Victoria of messing around before shooting them both.

He didn't turn the gun on himself, though. He wasn't enraged anymore, he said in court.

Parrish was a corrections officer at Monroe County Correctional Facility at the time of the murders. After he shot his girlfirend and son, Parrish fled with his friend Conrad Jankowski to New Hampshire, where they were apprehended. Jankowski, 24, of Newfoundland, pleaded guilty to hindering apprehension and was sentenced to six to 23 months in the Monroe County Correctional Facility.

Keith Adams, Victoria's brother, share's his mother's frustrations. Sentencing had originally been scheduled for Aug. 31, 2010, but was postponed several times.

"I'm still angry because it's never-ending," he said. "Every time they say the court date is this, and then it doesn't happen."

Kim Adams believes Parrish should get the death penalty. "Michael should be executed for murdering his infant child Sidney, my only grandson, and my beautiful daughter Victoria. There should be no quarter given, no special dispensations because he was a corrections officer. He is a murderer, and he deserves a murderer's punishment."

Sidney was diagnosed with a heart problem before birth and received a heart transplant at about age 1. He spent his whole life under intense medical care, much of it at the Children's Hospital in Philadelphia. He just began eating solid foods only a few weeks before he was slain.

The family spent months living at the Ronald McDonald House during Sidney's care.

The first edition of Ronald McDonald House's Message of Hope newsletter featured a photo of Sidney and Victoria, taken before their death. The mother and son never got to see the finished edition.

After her daughter's death, Kim found a blue evening gown in Victoria's closet that the daughter was saving for her wedding with Michael. "We wanted to bury her in that gown," Kim said, "but she had to be buried in a high neckline gown to hide the gunshot wounds."

Victoria and Sidney were buried in the same casket, with Sidney in her arms, the way they were in the moment their lives ended.

http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbc...NEWS/107060331

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information