Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Travis James Mullis - Texas Death Row

Passed away.
    “New evidence has surfaced that was not available at the time I chose to waive my appeal. I hereby request that this court reinstate my appeal and appoint counsel to help me with this appeal,” Mullis’ letter to Ellisor states.
    Call me cynical, but I wonder if Bart "helped" him write this letter to the court.

How appropriate, this is my 20,000th post!

Mullis' execution could be set in September

With Travis Mullis waffling on whether to appeal his capital murder conviction, it could be September 2013 before an execution date is set for Galveston County’s only death row inmate.

On Wednesday, the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals rejected an untimely appeal to review Mullis’ March 2011 conviction in the 2008 stomping death of his infant son, Alijah.

http://www.galvestondailynews.com/ne...a4bcf6878.html
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Jan
    Nice! I need the 'like' button now; and thanks for all the information on this site!

On April 16, 2013, Mullis filed a habeas petition in Federal District Court.

http://dockets.justia.com/docket/tex...00121/1071852/

Senior Member CnCP Legend CharlesMartel's Avatar
    Death row inmate who stomped baby's head in Galveston asks to be executed

By Keri Blakinger
    The Houston Chronicle

A Brazoria County man on death row for stomping his 3-month-old baby to death by the Galveston seawall filed a motion this week asking to waive his appeals and fire his attorneys, hoping to fast-track his path to the death chamber.

Travis Mullis, the 31-year-old Alvin transplant sent to death row in 2011, previously sought to forfeit his appeals and in recent months repeatedly raised the possibility of doing so again.

"I support my death sentence and want it carried out ASAP," he told the Chronicle in a letter earlier this year. "I was sentenced to death not indefinite detention."

So-called "volunteers" – inmates seeking to cut off appeals and offer themselves up to die – account for only about 10 percent of executions, according to the nongovernmental Death Penalty Information Center. But earlier this week, another Texas prisoner fought to waive appeals, and in recent months the high-profile case of Scott Dozier has garnered national media attention as Nevada struggles to find the drugs to help the condemned man carry out his death wish.

The crime that landed Mullis on death row was an impulsive outburst that capped a string of what he called "stupid decisions" and an unequivocally wretched life.

His mother died when he was still a baby and, growing up, he was sexually abused from ages 3 to 6, according to court records. He spent years in and out of institutions and when he turned 18, his adoptive mother kicked him out of the house. He moved to Texas, settling outside Houston with a woman he'd met online.

By 2008, he and his girlfriend found themselves broke and without a place to stay, so they started crashing in a trailer with a couple who agreed to take them in.

But early one morning that January, Mullis took the couple's 8-year-old daughter to a schoolyard and tried to pull her pants down. The girl started crying and Mullis brought her home but decided that he was "screwed" because he'd "stepped over the line," he told the Chronicle.

Worried that the girl would tell her parents and he'd would be evicted, on Jan. 29 Mullis drove to Galveston to ponder his predicament with his 3-month-old sleeping in the backseat.

But the child started crying, and Mullis wanted him to be quiet.

So, first, he molested the boy, then stomped his skull until it gave way.

"I make stupid decisions, what can I say," he told the Chronicle. "I did it on impulse and killed him right after."

He fled to Pennsylvania but turned himself in to Philadelphia police four days later, offering up a detailed confession. During trial, his attorneys outlined his rough life, describing their client as an "emotional mental health quadriplegic" who was "unable to feel emotions."

After he was sent to death row, Mullis waived his direct appeal as well as the later state post-conviction appeal, according to court records. But in federal court, he revived his claims again – until recently. He told the Chronicle he didn't like what his lawyers were saying about him and disagreed with their claims regarding his mental health.

"I'm 100 percent guilty of my crime nobody contests that," he said. "The fight is over my sentence. I'm accepting of my death sentence. My lawyers are against the death penalty for anyone."

His legal team did not respond to a request for comment.

In some ways, said Robert Dunham of the Death Penalty Information Center, Mullis fits the profile of those most apt to waive their appeals and volunteer for execution.

"Almost all the volunteers are white males, they almost all have had horrific upbringings, frequently involving serious sexual abuse," he said. "And for most of them it is more painful for them to see the mitigating evidence presented than it is to terminate the proceedings and be killed."

Texas has had more volunteers than any other state, Dunham said, which isn't surprising given the sheer volume of executions in the state.

According to the Death Penalty Information Center, the most recent volunteer was Barney Fuller, a Houston County man who shot up his neighbors' home with an AR-15 then went inside and shot them both in the head. He was executed in 2016.

More commonly, prisoners volunteer at some point in the process and change their minds later. Roughly 146 of more than 1,470 executed prisoners volunteered to die, according to DPIC data. Thirty-one of those were in the Lone Star State.

But over the past year, it's not a death case in Texas but one in Nevada – which hasn't executed anyone in more than a decade – that's garnered attention.

Dozier has repeatedly, in several interviews, voiced his desire for death. The 47-year-old was sentenced to die for the 2002 murder and dismemberment of Jeremiah Miller.

But his case has generated national press because of the complications surrounding the state's efforts to kill him. Nevada has struggled to maintain supplies of its death drugs, and earlier this year sparked controversy by proposing an untested lethal injection protocol using the powerful opioid fentanyl.

Dozier was set to die earlier this month, but a court called off the date at the last minute after one of the drugmakers filed a lawsuit objecting to its products' use in the procedure.

Mullis likely won't face those hurdles, though, as Texas has always managed to procure the drugs it needs for the Huntsville death chamber. Moving forward, Dunham said, he could have a competency hearing to determine that he's legally able to waive appeals. Records show he's been found competent in the past.

The condemned killer's latest handwritten filing asks the court to toss previous expert testimony and hold a hearing on competency, but Mullis ends by assuring the court he's serious about his intent to die.

"This motion to waive is final and will not be withdrawn under any circumstances," he wrote. "No additional review or consultations with counsel will change this decision to exercise the right to waive appeals."

https://www.chron.com/neighborhood/g...n-13109223.php
    In the Shadow of Your Wings
    1 A Prayer of David. Hear a just cause, O Lord; attend to my cry! Give ear to my prayer from lips free of deceit!

John Falk, Perry Austin and Travis Mullis are volunteering for execution. The trial courts must allow competency hearings to expedite execution orders and issue death warrants signed off by various judges. All three could be executed in the next 12 months.

Senior Member CnCP Legend CharlesMartel's Avatar
    Death Row inmate reveals sick details of three-month-old son's sex assault and murder 'in bid to get quick execution'

WARNING - DISTRESSING CONTENT: Speaking from behind bars, Travis Mullis, 31, says he stomped on baby Alijah's skull 'until it collapsed' after he failed to stop him crying

A Death Row inmate has revealed sickening details of how he molested and murdered his three-month-old son - as he fights for a quick execution.

Speaking from behind bars in Texas, US, Travis Mullis, now 31, described how he sexually assaulted baby Alijah after he failed to stop him crying.

He then brutally stomped on the little boy's skull "until it collapsed".

“He started crying. I tried to console him. Everything I thought would work, didn’t work," recalled the killer in an interview with Fox 32 .

"I ended up sexually assaulting him and then killing him. I laid him on the side of the road and stomped on his head until his skull collapsed."

Mullis's harrowing comments come as he battles for a quick death - after previously saying he wanted his sentence to be carried out "asap".

The prisoner, who was 21 when he killed Alijah in January 2008, this week filed a motion to waive his appeals and to get rid of his lawyer.

He is apparently "ready to accept" his punishment.

“I’m guilty of what I did and the death sentence is the legally justified and, I believe, morally appropriate sentence for what I’ve done,” he said.

Shortly before he murdered his baby, Mullis had reportedly taken a friend's young daughter to a school playground, intending to molest her.

He said he wanted to "take her clothes off", but she started sobbing so he ended up taking her home, the San Antonio Express News reports.

He then drove to Galveston, Texas, with Alijah sleeping in the backseat. But after the youngster began crying, he molested and stomped on him.

Following the horrific killing on January 29, Mullis left his son's body on the roadside - where it was found by a couple - and fled to Pennsylvania.

However, he turned himself in to police in Philadelphia days later.

He was sentenced to death in 2011. Moments before the jury returned to deliver the verdict, he is said to have whispered to his lawyer and grinned.

Mullis's defence team had argued he was an "emotional mental health quadriplegic" who had suffered terrible events in his life.

In a letter from Death Row earlier this year, the father told the Houston Chronicle : "I support my death sentence and want it carried out asap."

He added: "I was sentenced to death not indefinite detention."

He also described how he sexually assaulted and killed his son "on impulse".

"I make stupid decisions, what can I say," he said.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/us-new...ening-13025366
    In the Shadow of Your Wings
    1 A Prayer of David. Hear a just cause, O Lord; attend to my cry! Give ear to my prayer from lips free of deceit!

What's with all of these people hiding in Philly? The Briley bros, this guy and so many random killers just come up here to hide.

On September 24, 2018 the District Court ordered that Mullis be examined for mental competency to waive his appeals.

https://docs.justia.com/cases/federa...21/1071852/108
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

Mullis mentioned to be a volunteer for execution some years ago! Perhaps we could see Mullis go to the death house earlier than expected?
    "How do you get drunk on death row?" - Werner Herzog

"When we get fruit, we get the juice and water. I ferment for a week! It tastes like chalk, it's nasty" - Blaine Keith Milam #999558 Texas Death Row

Senior Member Frequent Poster Ted's Avatar
    Is there any update on whether Mullis has been evaluated by Proctor yet?
    Violence and death seem to be the only answers that some people understand.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information