Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Condemned inmates' last words telling

bem17356
    Even the worst of the worst. I have the right to say some few words at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by bem17356 View Post
    Even the worst of the worst. I have the right to say some few words at the end.
    How about "Don't stick that needle in me! That thing is sharp!"

Senior Member Frequent Poster stixfix69's Avatar
    Another great post, but i kind of disagree with the idea they should get a last meal request and the right to have a final word, as they had lost all privileges of anything special once they took the life(s) of another human being who did not have that right....Freedom is a privilege not a right,as all DR inmates realize once they hit the row...

Senior Member CnCP Legend JimKay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stixfix69 View Post
    Another great post, but i kind of disagree with the idea they should get a last meal request and the right to have a final word, as they had lost all privileges of anything special once they took the life(s) of another human being who did not have that right....Freedom is a privilege not a right,as all DR inmates realize once they hit the row...
    Somehow I feel that any attempt on society's part to show we are better than the condemned will be lost on them. And do they even care, moments away from death? Maybe it's a form of condescension, and rubbing their noses in it. The symbolism of that last meal and last statement. But really -- we're about to kill the person. What's the point of showing someone kindness before you snuff out their existence? Seems illogical to me. We've already diluted the process down to putting them to sleep, a long way from beheading, hanging and electrocution.

My favorite last statement is that drunk's, in "Hang 'Em High." He goes on and on about demon alcohol, but he had the killer instinct in him before he took that drink. There's much truth in "in vino, veritas."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83qxmqAI768

I just think they shouldn't get the last word, if they have something to say, then the victims family should be able to have the last say.....

Surely by the last meal request & last words it shows the world that the process can be done with some humanity ?
    If the D/P is just for revenge then fine don't allow a last meal or last words; but if infact the D/P is a last resort to protect society then as civilised people we must show some measure of kindness to show we are human.
    Justice should not depend on the size of your bank balance or colour of your skin !

Humanity was shown, when most get to live 10 more years than the victims.....and like i stated before, if they allow a last word, it should go to the victims family.....Civility was giving them a trial, which would be decided by a jury of there piers, if you look at the middle east, and asia, and some eastern european countries they are not given that opportunity...JMO.....

Senior Member CnCP Legend JimKay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ruffec View Post
    Surely by the last meal request & last words it shows the world that the process can be done with some humanity ?
    If the D/P is just for revenge then fine don't allow a last meal or last words; but if infact the D/P is a last resort to protect society then as civilised people we must show some measure of kindness to show we are human.
    They get a trial; endless appeals, many of them frivolous; free room and board to the tune of $25,000 a year, on average for 13 years. You could put a lot of poor kids through college with that money. Then they go to sleep. I'd say they're shown plenty of humanity. Why should they get a fancy meal and the chance to have the last word? What's the point of having the death penalty if you turn the process into something like a birthday party?

Weidmann1939
    You could put a lot of poor kids through college with that money.
    Obama and The Libtard Democrats throw enough money down the rat hole in the name of helping "poor kids"

frenchyrocker
    I think giving a last word is fair, I mean it gives them the chance to apologise to own up to what they've done

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information