Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Caron E. Montgomery - Ohio

THE STATE OF OHIO v CARON E. MONTGOMERY

In today's opinions, the Ohio Supreme Court AFFIRMED Montgomery's conviction and sentence of death on direct appeal.
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Montgomery has an execution date of May 13, 2020.

http://www.drc.ohio.gov/execution-schedule

In today's orders, the United States Supreme Court declined to review Montgomery's petition for certiorari.

Lower Ct: Supreme Court of Ohio
    Case Nos.: (2012-1212)
    Decision Date: August 24, 2016
    Rehearing Denied: November 9, 2016

https://www.supremecourt.gov/search....es/16-7856.htm

Family remembers mom, kids after murders, wants answers about future of death penalty

By Haley Nelson
    WXYX/WTTE News

COLUMBUS, Ohio (WSYX/WTTE) — On Thanksgiving in 2010, a mother and two kids were found stabbed to death in North Columbus. More than nine years later, loved ones are still grieving and fighting for the mom and kids.

Police said 31-year-old Tia Hendricks, her 10-year-old daughter Tahlia and 2-year-old Tyron were found.

Since then, Caron Montgomery, Hendricks' former boyfriend and father of the two-year-old has been convicted in their deaths.

He was sentenced to death.

More than nine years later, Hendricks' father Thomas Hendricks said the pain is still with him.

"I can never enjoy Thanksgiving the way I used to enjoy Thanksgiving as a kid. I can never do that, I mean this guy is getting three meals a day, I suffer pain every day," said Thomas Hendricks.

He said much of that pain is from not having full closure.

"I felt he got the death penalty, go ahead and let it go," he said.

"My reaction is Tia didn't have a choice, my grandbabies didn't have a choice," he said.

Hendricks in the meantime is honoring his loved ones.

"Tia was a fun-loving girl, smiles, liked to have fun. And she enjoyed life and that was taken away from her, my baby girl," he said.

He is hoping for answers from the state and soon.

Hendricks is working to meet with as many lawmakers as possible.

ABC6/FOX28 did reach out to the governor's office.

A spokesperson referred ABC6/FOX28 to a December 2019 statement after Governor DeWine issued a reprieve for a different prisoner, moving that person's execution date from 2020 to 2021:

Today, Ohio Governor Mike DeWine issued a reprieve of execution for Melvin Bonnell, who was scheduled to be executed on February 20, 2020. The new date of execution has been moved to March 18, 2021. Governor DeWine is issuing this reprieve due to ongoing problems involving the willingness of pharmaceutical suppliers to provide drugs to the Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction (DRC), pursuant to DRC protocol, without endangering other Ohioans.

Last month, Speaker of the House Larry Householder said the death penalty might not be enforceable, and that House GOP lawmakers are discussing different options.

According to the Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction, there are currently 140 people on death row in Ohio.

Right now, nine inmates are scheduled to be executed this year.

Montgomery does not have an execution date scheduled yet.

The last execution in Ohio was in July 2018.

https://abc6onyourside.com/news/loca...-death-penalty
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Montgomery was granted in part and denied in part post-conviction relief by the Franklin County Court of Common Plea on December 31, 2018.

The decision was upheld by the Ohio Court of Appeals for the 10th Appellate District on December 8, 2020.

https://law.justia.com/cases/ohio/te...0/19ap-41.html
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

As noted in the latest report, Montgomery’s sentence was vacated and is pending resentencing.

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

Columbus man taken off death row for 2010 triple murder despite plea from victims' family

By Jordan Laird
    The Columbus Dispatch

A three-judge panel in Franklin County Common Pleas Court has decided to resentence a man on death row —whom defense attorneys say is mentally ill — to life in prison for fatally stabbing his girlfriend and her two children on Thanksgiving Day 2010 at their Columbus apartment.

Caron E. Montgomery, 49, appeared in Franklin County Common Pleas Court on Wednesday, more than a decade after a different three-judge panel sentenced him to death in 2012 for his guilty plea to the killings.

Following an agreement between Franklin County prosecutors and Ohio public defenders representing Montgomery, Judges Jaiza Page, Jeffrey Brown and David Young decided unanimously Wednesday to resentence Montgomery to life in prison without the opportunity for parole.

Montgomery pleaded guilty in 2012 to multiple counts of aggravated murder in the deaths of Tia Hendricks, 31; their 2-year-old son, Tyron Hendricks; and her 10-year-old daughter, Tahlia Hendricks. Their bodies were found on Nov. 26, 2010, the day after they were killed on Thanksgiving Day in their apartment on Broad Meadows Boulevard on the North Side.

Tavarus Hendricks, Tia Hendricks’ brother, spoke on behalf of the Hendricks family in court Wednesday, begging the judges to keep the death penalty for Montgomery.

“That man right there killed three people — his own son, a baby, an 11-year-old girl, a mother who loved her children … Snuffed them out just because of jealousy and rage,” Tavarus Hendricks said during the court hearing. “Please sentence him to death. He needs a needle in his arm for as many times as he picked up that knife and plunged it into my sister."

Tavarus Hendricks told The Dispatch afterwards he was unhappy with the new sentence of life in prison, and he still wants to see Montgomery die for what he did.

Montgomery declined to make a statement during Wednesday's court appearance, and showed little emotion during the proceeding.

Attorneys for Montgomery over the years have asserted that he has serious mental illness, was repeatedly traumatized as a young child and was in a mentally disassociated state at the time of the killings.

Since he was sentenced to death, Montgomery has made multiple attempts to appeal his case, making it in 2016 to the Ohio Supreme Court, which upheld the death sentence.

In 2021, Ohio passed a law banning the execution of the seriously mentally ill. After the law changed, attorneys with the Ohio Public Defender’s Office filed multiple motions in 2022 requesting Montgomery get a new sentence because of his mental illness.

Earlier this year, the Franklin County Prosecutor's Office and the Ohio Public Defender's Office came to an agreement that essentially asked the judges to sentence Montgomery to life without parole.

https://www.dispatch.com/story/news/...y/70530660007/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information