Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425

Thread: Thomas Douglas Arthur - Alabama Execution - May 26, 2017

I would think the state and federal courts in Alabama are pleased this case is finished as well as the Attorney General's office. Just imagine all the time and expenses involved in this case

Another thing that amazes me is that Arthur was previously convicted of murder and the state put him on work release? Unbelievable.

Do you think this execution'll open up the floodgates in Alabama?

SCOTUS hasn't granted any cases claiming 8th amendment challenges to Glossip so I suppose as time goes on the cases would move quicker.
    Several liberal judges on the 11th Circuit still believe Arthur was wrongly decided. The 6th Circuit as well. The vast majority of the judges who continue to dissent are Obama appointees as well as Justice Sotomayor.

AL has a large stack of warrant-ready inmates. However, some of them are re-filing because of fallout from Trevino, Buck, Moore (and a ton of others), and very likely from McWilliams when that one is decided. This is why it's so pivotal for Trump to put another correct judge on the court; so that the states can stop playing defense the entire time and start fighting back for once. These cases have produced nothing but more frivolous appeals. Arthur is no exception, and I'm glad his frivolous appeals are done and over with. Glad to see that justice was served in this case, finally.

Well I think Robert Melson is practically guaranteed to be executed now. Alabama could probably bag a couple more in the fall if they are fast enough. They could probably be like GA was from 2015 to 2016 as long as they don't botch. This is very promising for AL I think.
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Related

Daughter of executed inmate Tommy Arthur calls for mandatory DNA testing in capital cases

An hour after watching the execution by lethal injections of her father for the murder-for-hire of Troy Wicker Jr in 1982 , Sherrie Stone called for a law requiring nationwide mandatory testing of DNA evidence in capital murder cases.

"First of all, I would like to express my deepest sympathy for the family of Troy Wicker. I hope what has transpired today will allow them to have some peace and closure," Stone told reporters at a press conference after her father, Tommy Arthur, was executed at Holman Correctional Facility in Atmore.

But for Stone she says she will never know closure or whether her father killed Wicker or not. Without having DNA testing on certain evidence in the case she said she will never know for sure.

"I've never known for certain whether my father killed Troy Wicker. At times I was convinced he did. At times I believed he was innocent," Stone said. "Over decades you go through a roller coaster."

"Now I will never know the truth because the evidence that could prove if my father was innocent or guilty has not been tested using the latest DNA testing procedures," Stone said.

"That's why I am calling for mandatory DNA testing on all available evidence in all capital cases and not just in Alabama but across the United States," Stone said. "When a human life is stake it is essential and, in this day-and-age, it's really uncalled for that we could not use advance technology available to us."

The testing should be mandatory for those charged with a capital crime as well as those who are already on death row, Stone said.

Stone said that Alabama Gov. Kay Ivey denied her father's request for DNA testing on hair samples "and I don't understand why when the stakes were so high."

Ivey's legal counsel, in a letter to Arthur's attorneys on Thursday denied the request.

"As you know, the fact that the hair samples in question did not come from Mr. Arthur has never been in dispute. All three juries were well aware of this fact, and all three juries still convicted Arthur of capital murder, indicating that all three juries considered the hair samples and concluded beyond a reasonable doubt that they were unrelated to this case," Ivey's legal counsel Bryan M. Taylor wrote.

"Moreover, the Court of Criminal Appeals considered these hair samples and concluded that the presence in Wicker's vehicle of 'a large amount of Negroid hair that had been forcibly removed' actually corroborated the State's case - that Mr. Arthur planted the hairs at the scene in furtherance of his scheme to make it appear as if a black man had committed the crime," Taylor wrote.

Testing on a wig allegedly worn by the killer for a 2009 court hearing found no genetic material that could be tested for DNA. The judge rejected requests by Arthur's attorneys for more DNA testing at the time after ruling that Arthur had likely played a part in another inmate's confession to the crime.

Stone said she doesn't know why the state was reluctant to do DNA testing.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.al.co..._inmate_to.amp
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Senior Member Frequent Poster Alfred's Avatar
    The problem with this kind of testing is that it doesn't tell us anything really. Suppose the hair that Arthur wanted to have tested was not his.

Then that does in no way prove his innocence. People get in touch with others constantly, so having sombody else's hair on your shirt is pretty likely.

If such ''evidence'' would prove his innocence, then I think we're heading in the wrong direction. Things are different of course when DNA material is found on murder weapons.

Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425

Thread Information