Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Death Penalty Movies

uxmax
    Carolina Skeletons (reality-based and rly sad one)

Quote Originally Posted by uxmax View Post
    (reality-based and rly sad one)
    Please use words.
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

The execution of "Charles Starkweather" in the Made for TV movie: "Murder in the Heartland".

Watching this now on TNT!

I love this scene!

Senior Member Member High Desert Bill's Avatar
    "What I am not is a Card Carrying ACLU radical" ............. very cool Heidi. Great scene
    Last edited by High Desert Bill; 10-06-2013 at 09:29 PM.
    The inmate "could long ago have ended his anxieties and uncertainties by submitting to what the people have deemed him to deserve: execution."

'A Time to Kill' stars address race, justice

Actors in the courtroom drama - including a former senator -- are set for Oct. 20 Broadway debut.

When Sebastian Arcelus and John Douglas Thompson were cast in the new Broadway adaptation of A Time To Kill, they immediately decided "not to have a political discussion" with one of their co-stars, says Thompson.

"We know that if we do, we'll lose," Arcelus explains.

The colleague in question would be Fred Dalton Thompson, the former Republican senator, lawyer and sometime TV and film actor, who is making his Main Stem debut in the production, now in previews for a Sunday opening at the John Golden Theatre.

In the play, adapted from John Grisham's bestselling novel by Rupert Holmes, Arcelus portrays Jake Brigance, a small-town Mississippi lawyer who agrees to defend Carl Lee Hailey, a black man charged with murdering two white men who raped and nearly killed his 10-year-old daughter.

Douglas Thompson plays Hailey, and Dalton Thompson appears as the ominously named Judge Noose, who presides over the trial, which features an all-white jury.

"He's a big, mean-looking, mean-sounding guy," Dalton Thompson says of Noose, chatting with Arcelus and Douglas Thompson in a restaurant near the theater before a recent performance. "But at the end of the day, he just wants the trial over with, with as little aggravation as possible. He's a politician as well, and he wants to get re-elected, so he doesn't want whites or blacks mad at him."

If politics per se isn't the focus of the conversation, two related subjects, race and justice, do come up naturally in discussing the play.

Douglas Thompson, an acclaimed veteran of New York and regional theater, notes that Kill is set in 1986, "in a state that had been very resistant to civil rights. Mississippi was pretty much a leader in segregation and Jim Crow (laws), and the characters we're playing all came out of that society and are dealing with its residual effects."

So are we all in 2013, he adds. "It seems that every year, something happens" that stokes "our fascination with racial justice, and courtroom drama, and gun violence." He cites the death of Trayvon Martin: "I think people bring that to the show. It resonates with different people in different ways."

Arcelus recalls being in Baltimore not long ago, while shooting Netflix's House Of Cards, "and watching the local news on TV one Monday morning, and seeing that there had been something like 18 shootings and 12 deaths downtown over the weekend -- all young black men. How does that not make news?"

Dalton Thompson, who has been hearing his cast mates out respectfully, interjects: "Because it's becoming so commonplace."

Arcelus responds, as Brigance might, "But what if 18 young white men had been shot in New Canaan, Connecticut, or Dallas, Texas?"

"It would be national news," Douglas Thompson says, and Arcelus nods and echoes him.

All three agree that the questions raised by Kill transcend race. "The play is ultimately about the emotional decisions we all make," Douglas Thompson says. "What would you do if you were Carl Lee, if these unspeakable crimes had been committed against your daughter? You know there's a death penalty in your state, and you don't want to leave her fatherless; but can rage take over?"

Dalton Thompson, donning his attorney's hat, points out that the jury faces a similar dilemma. "In court, you're supposed to take emotion out of the equation. But at what point can you justify what they call jury nullification -- when the jury says, in effect, that he's guilty of this premeditated killing, but they're going to say not guilty, because they're moved to that?"

In his own legal career, Dalton Thompson admits, he "never had a case as interesting" as Hailey's -- though he can vouch for Time's essential authenticity.

"Grisham and I practiced law in Southern towns of the same size," he says. "I was about 15 or 20 years ahead of him, but the characters he writes about are the same ones I knew. That's part of the fun of this for me."

That, and being off the political scene. "I spent a lot of time and money to get away from that," Dalton Thompson says, chuckling. "I enjoy being here instead."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/t...-kill/2909591/

One of the best movies I ever saw is In Cold Blood (1967). Based on the book by Capote and stars Robert Blake. When they go through the farm house and systematically kill the whole family, it is one of the hardest murder scenes to watch on film. When the culprits are caught and eventually hung, you feel squeamish watching it but having watched them murder that entire family, you come to the realization that only their death would be appropriate.

Junior Member Stranger
    it's not really a movie, but the 'Prison Break' series starring Wentworth Miller has some good death penalty scenes in it, he get's himself convincted of a crime so he can break out his brother who is on death row. He almost gets the chair.

One of the best movies I ever saw is In Cold Blood (1967). Based on the book by Capote and stars Robert Blake. When they go through the farm house and systematically kill the whole family, it is one of the hardest murder scenes to watch on film. When the culprits are caught and eventually hung, you feel squeamish watching it but having watched them murder that entire family, you come to the realization that only their death would be appropriate.
    A bit of movie and TV trivia.

Robert Blake's co-condemned in In Cold Blood was Scott Wilson, who played Richard Hickok, and his role is just as prominent as Blake's in the movie. It was his second featured role, his first being as a murder suspect in In the Heat of the Night, also from 1967.

Most recently, Scott Wilson played Herschel Greene in the TV gore-athon The Walking Dead, where he met his end by having his head lopped off by the crazy Governor wielding a katana.

The Last Dance with Sharon Stone was good as well.
    "I am the warden! Get your warden off this gurney and shut up! You are not in America. This is the island of Barbados. People will see you doing this." Monty Delk's last words.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information