Justice Served for Mia Brown

The man responsible for one of the most sadistic murders in recent history was back in court Friday where Circuit Court Judge, Chris Patterson decided his fate.

Ultimately, Patterson followed the jury's recommendation and sentenced Johnny Skeeto Calhoun to the death penalty for the murder of Esto store clerk, Mia Brown. He also added 100 years for kidnapping.

In 2010, Calhoun kidnapped Brown, put her in the trunk of her own car, and burned the car with her alive inside in a wooded area near Heartford, Alabama.

Family and friends have been waiting for this day for over a year, and Friday, Browns killer was brought to justice.

"This man will not suffer the way my daughter did. And we're not vengeful people I don't want him to suffer that way, But I really think there's some things that you need to lay down your life" Mia's father, James Blake Williams told us.

And some family members felt that justice wouldn't really be served until Calhoun was executed. "Average inmates stay about 13 years [before execution] so that's something I'll think about everyday" said Chuck Biddle, Mia's brother.

And although Mia can never be replaced, her family said they're humbled by the outpouring of support they've received during this time. They said they are thankful for a community that has helped keep the legacy of Mia alive.

"Mia had a very kind heart and a wonderful smile and it brought her great joy to bring joy to others" said Mia Browns Mother, Nancy Williams.

Under Florida law, all cases that receive the death sentence are automatically appealed. But, state attorney, Glen Hess said he believes the verdict and sentence will be upheld. "'This was the correct sentence. I'm confident this will be upheld on appeal. They're going to have a hard time finding error" Hess told us.

Mia's family established the Mia Chay Brown scholarship fund to carry on her memory. Donations can be made at the Bonifay Credit Union.

http://www.wjhg.com/news/headlines/J...5.html?ref=615