Thread: Wakilii Brown - Alabama Death Row

Wakilii Brown - Alabama Death Row

Facts of the Crime:

Convicted on three counts of murder for the 2001 deaths of his girlfriend, Cherae Jemison, 26, and her mother, Dotty Jemison, 49.

Brown was sentenced to death on May 27, 2008.

May 6, 2008

TALLADEGA (AP) — Wakilii Brown was sentenced to death by lethal injection Monday morning by Circuit Judge Bo Hollingsworth.

Brown, 32, was convicted by a jury in late February on three counts of murder for the deaths of his girlfriend, Cherae Jemison, 26, and her mother, Dotty Jemison, 49.

Brown maintained his innocence, telling both Hollingsworth and family members of the victims, “I’m not guilty. I didn’t do it,” before he was sentenced.

After the sentencing hearing, Talladega County District Attorney Steve Giddens said, “I’m obviously pleased with the decision. I know a couple of the victims’ family felt differently about the death penalty, but I have a duty to serve the people of this county, and I feel a death sentence is appropriate.”

Two of the three family members of the victims who addressed Hollingsworth asked that Brown be sentenced to life without parole. The jury that convicted Brown voted 10-2 in favor of recommending the death penalty for Brown. Hollingsworth did not have to make his sentence based on the jury’s recommendation, though.

Brown’s attorneys, Jeb Fannin and Bill Willingham, said they planned to go ahead with an appeal of the decision. A date for the appeal has not been set.

Giddens said his office will now hand the case off to the state Attorney General’s Office for the appeal unless Brown files any post-trial motions. Hollingsworth said the state Supreme Court is responsible for setting an execution date for Brown and ordered Brown be turned over to the Alabama Department of Corrections.

Brown was convicted of beating to death Cherae Jemison, the mother of his children, and Dotty Jemison at the home they all shared in Sylacauga on March 9 or 10, 2001. Brown was 25 at the time.

Medical evidence presented at the trial indicated both women were struck multiple times in the head with what appeared to be a hammer. The weapon was never recovered.

Brown was later arrested by police in Cleveland, Ohio, after a 25-hour standoff inside an apartment building.

He was convicted on two counts of murder during a robbery and one count of killing two or more people during the same scheme or course of conduct.

June 26, 2010

Alabama appeals court upholds death sentence for double slaying in Sylacauga

A state appeals court has upheld the capital murder conviction and death sentence that a Talladega County man received for killing his girlfriend and her mother in Sylacauga.

The Alabama Court of Criminal Appeals rejected arguments Friday from Wakilii Brown that errors occurred in his trial for the beating deaths of his girlfriend, Cherea Jemison, and her mother, Dotty Jemison. The slayings occurred in March 2001 at the home the women shared. Brown was the father of 2 of Cherea Jemison's 3 children.

Evidence showed the women were struck multiple times with what appeared to be a claw hammer. Brown was arrested in Cleveland, Ohio, after police spotted Cherea Jemison's missing car.

(Source: The Associated Press)

Alabama Supreme Court upholds death sentence for Brown for slayings of 2 in Sylacauga

TALLADEGA, Ala. — The Alabama Supreme Court has upheld the capital murder conviction and death sentence of a Talladega man for the March 2001 killing of his girlfriend and her mother in Talladega.

The court rejected arguments Thursday from 35-year-old death row inmate Wakilii Brown that his conviction should be overturned because the trial judge allowed jurors to hear testimony of his 11-year-old daughter, who was 4 years old at the time of the killings.

Brown was convicted in a 2008 trial of the 2001 slayings of his girlfriend, Cherea Jemison, and her mother, Dotty Jemison. Evidence showed the women were struck multiple times with what appeared to be a claw hammer.

The girl testified that she heard her parents arguing and saw Brown standing over her mother, who was lying on the floor bleeding.

In today's United States Supreme Court orders, Brown's petition for a writ of certiorari and motion for leave to proceed in forma pauperis was DENIED.

On April 9, 2021, Brown filed a habeas petition in Federal District Court.

https://dockets.justia.com/docket/al...cv00504/176792
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Thread Information